Guidebook
Memberlist
Accountswitch

Tired souls

2 posters
Victor Schultz
IC Posts : 410
Victor Schultz

The smile on the other’s face when he spoke his name made Victor smile as well. He was happy he’d pronounced it right because he had no idea how to spell it. Though that ended up not being as difficult as he’d thought it would be since Sāng said he could write his name the way he’d pronounced it. Victor nodded, picked up his phone and put the other’s name into the contact information of the number he’d just gotten a kissy face emoji from; a message that made him smile when he saw it.

“Are you from Fènghuáng?” he asked the other. It wasn’t because his name was from that region, that Sāng had been born there. Victor knew a bit about the country, but not a lot. Just some general information and some other facts he’d picked up here and there. His father had made him study certain languages in the past and because of that he spoke several, but he’d never learned the language spoken in Fènghuáng. And since it hadn’t been part of his studies, he’d never learned much about Fènghuáng.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Nickname: Vic
Birthday: 25/12
Sexuality: Pansexual
Ruìsāng Sū
IC Posts : 981
Ruìsāng SūBlessed by ????

Vincent's question about Fènghuáng earned a short nod from Ruìsāng. "I can't remember ever being there, though," he explained, his tone thoughtful. "My parents moved here around the time I was born. But they've taught me about the culture, and I've met quite a few people from there," he continued, his smile genuine. The desire to visit Fènghuáng had always lingered, but financial constraints had kept him from realising that dream.

"Galar, right?" he remembered. "So what brought you here? Just our university?" he inquired, his curiosity piqued. His knowledge about Galar was limited, and he was genuinely interested in learning more. "And tell me, are Pokémon battles as exhilarating as they make them out to be?" he added with a playful grin.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Nickname: Sāng
Birthday: 14 / 12
Occupation: Bartender & 4th year bachelor (hospitality management)
Sexuality: Gay
Victor Schultz
Victor Schultz

Listening closely when Sāng explained how he’d been born in Fènghuáng but hadn’t grown up there, Victor wondered what that must’ve been like; to be part of two cultures. “Is it very different, the culture?” he asked, curious about what Sāng could tell him about the region.

Victor nodded when the other asked him to confirm he was from Galar. “It was a nice way to get away from home,” he admitted. Life at home had never been easy, but the past years it had only gotten worse and he'd needed to get out. “I did choose Cerynia because of the university.” Their medical programme was one of the best. “But also because I was curious about affinities. We don’t have them in Galar.” He’d learned opinions about affinities were divided, but he found them nothing but interesting.

Victor laughed at Sāng’s question. “They are. It's extraordinary to see what pokémon can do," he said. "Though I have to admit I haven’t participated in many.” He'd done a few fights with Edgar, but he'd mostly watched others fight. Important ones had been broadcast on television and those had been on a completely different level than any of the fights he'd participated in.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Was the culture between Fènghuáng and Cerynia different? Ruìsāng smiled. “Very much so. My mother struggled getting used to many things here. For us, it’s considered rude to call someone by their first name,” he explained, his grin turning mischievous. “I remember at school—” He paused, a chuckle bubbling up from within him. “She introduced me the way my name is in Fènghuáng. Sū Ruìsāng. Took them months to figure out they had been calling me by my last name only. My mother thought it was strange they referred to her as ‘Miss Ruìsāng’.

Victor explained that he had chosen Cerynia mostly for its university, but also affinities. Ruìsāng hummed thoughtfully. “Ah, I forget the East does not have those. It’s so normal here,” he smiled. It was hard to think of life without the subject of affinities. Children in his class who had awakened theirs early, would accidentally touch and burn classmates. It had been hectic.

The topic shifted to Pokémon battles, and Ruìsāng's expression turned thoughtful.  “Maybe they’ll change it again someday. I feel like we’re missing out,” he admitted. He didn’t think it was that bad of a thing. Pokémon healed quickly and they weren’t left bleeding after a fight. They were tired. If he could make the decision to fight, why couldn’t a Pokémon?

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Victor Schultz
Victor Schultz

Curious to learn more about Fènghuáng and Cerynia, Victor asked whether the cultures of the two regions were very different. He’d never been to either place before he’d come to Cerynia a month ago and there was only so much you could learn from books. Victor laughed at the story. That was definitely very different from what he was used to. “And you didn’t tell them?”

Affinities were one of the clearest differences between Cerynia and Galar. Victor hadn’t been able to imagine life with affinities before he came here while Sāng forgot they even had them. “Do you have an affinity?” he asked the other. He’d seen numbers on how common they were; maybe he’d even already met some people with an affinity without realising it.

Victor didn’t know much about the politics here. He tried to avoid things like that as much as he could—he really hated politicians—and couldn’t tell you anything about parties or what their opinions were about pokémon battles. “Are a lot of people in favour of bringing battles back?” He’d never lived somewhere where pokémon battles were prohibited before and the intricacies of Cerinian politics were lost on him.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Victor inquired whether Ruìsāng had divulged his real name to anyone, prompting a shake of the head. “They insisted on using just one name for everyone. It was bizarre, so I went along with it. I was young,” he smiled. “My mother called me her A-Sāng. Names are treated very differently.” That was why the latter half of his name was the nickname, a remnant of the culture he only knew through others.

The conversation pivoted to affinities and Victor asked if Ruìsāng possessed one. He quickly shook his head in response. “Me? Dear Arceus, no. I’m glad I don’t. More trouble than they’re worth,” he laughed, considering the potential danger that could come with wielding elemental powers. Ruìsāng appreciated the control he maintained without such forces coursing through him. Or maybe he was just afraid of the unknown.

Hmm. I’d say a lot of the younger generation wants them back, but the older vehemently opposes it,” he answered the question. “Banning them seems foolish, especially when they're still being held illegally. Now, those individuals wield influence in the streets.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Victor Schultz
Victor Schultz

It was strange how something as simple as a name could be treated so differently in different cultures. For Victor, it hadn’t been that difficult to adjust to. The typical names of Cerynia weren’t the same as those in Galar, but they still used the same naming conventions of having a first name followed by a last name. What Sāng described must have been bizarre for him.

Victor looked at Sāng curiously when he asked if he had an affinity, but the other shook his head in the negative. “Aren’t you curious what it would be like to be able to do things like that?” Victor asked. He definitely wouldn’t pass up the chance at an affinity. Maybe it would be difficult to control at first, but the possibilities an affinity gave were endless.

A typical digotemy between the younger and the older generation. Victor raised his eyebrows when Sāng said that pokémon fights were still held illegally. “People still battle with pokémon here?” He hadn’t come across any pokémon battles and so hadn’t expected this, but it didn’t come as a big surprise. After all, making something illegal often only encouraged more people to partake.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Wasn’t Ruìsāng curious about what it would be like? He shook his head. “To have fire at my finger tips? Or worse, darkness? To have psychic abilities?” he laughed. “Arceus, no. Nothing could be worse. It’s hard enough to control my life without some scuffed deity’s magic bothering me.” No, he had no desire for any of it. “Why? Are you?” he continued, raising his brows in intrigue.

Victor wondered if people still battled their Pokémon and Ruìsāng laughed. “Do they still steal? Fight? Of course. Making something illegal doesn’t mean it ain’t done, it’s just done worse. Illegally,” he explained with a dismissive wave of his hand. “There’s whole underground events for them if you know where to look. Stay away from those, if you hold your sanity dear.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Sponsored content