Guidebook
Memberlist
Accountswitch

The devil's after both of us

2 posters
Ruìsāng Sū
IC Posts : 981

Ruìsāng SūBlessed by ????
Míngzé’s reaction to their rooftop destination was somewhere between surprise and apprehension. He questioned the safety of such a place, with no promise he wouldn't accidentally walk off the edge. Ruìsāng observed him clutching the doorframe, an eyebrow arching in mild amusement. He understood Míngzé’s blindness was a factor, but a little faith in Ruìsāng’s guidance wouldn't have gone amiss. True, Ruìsāng wasn't the epitome of trustworthiness, but he had no desire to witness Míngzé end up face-first on the concrete below. After all, people were far more interesting when they were pressed against a bed or kitchen counter, not the pavement.

Oh, come here you wuss,” Ruìsāng chuckled, reaching out to gently grasp Míngzé's elbow with his uninjured hand. He noted how the Vulpix scurried through the doorway, eager not to be left behind. With a firm yet gentle tug, Ruìsāng led Míngzé to his favoured spot on the rooftop—a corner to the left, near the wall, offering a panoramic view of the city lights.

Sit, sit. You’ll be fine,” he reassured Míngzé, releasing his hold on the elbow and giving a reassuring pat on the shoulder. “I have coffee and a blanket. It’ll be nice,” he said, his grin broadening. It was a much better alternative to lingering in the hallway, and a bit of fresh air seemed like just the thing they both needed.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Nickname: Sāng
Birthday: 14 / 12
Occupation: Bartender & 4th year bachelor (hospitality management)
Sexuality: Gay
Míngzé Xǔ
IC Posts : 1175

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

It was not so much that he did not trust Sāng he would not keep him from falling down, it was more that he did not trust himself. One wrong step, a miscalculation and he would end up tumbling down. Given the many floors, it was high and the impact might cause his demise.

Míngzé shot Sāng a glare when he was called a wuss. It caused him to take a deep breath in through his nose with closed eyes. He did not know where on the roof they were. Was the edge close? Was it far? He hated every part of this. “Have I already told you that I hate you?” Míngzé asked Sāng the moment he felt the other’s soft touch. The first time they met, he had only growing hate for this man, but now that was no longer the case.

With some hesitation he let go of the doorframe and he held out his cane as an extra safety precaution that should tell him where the edge was if they ever got close. “I’ll just have to take your word for it.” As he reached down to find the ground before he sat down, he noticed how his hand was slightly trembling. It was rather embarrassing to be fair. First he found the wall and he used that as support to sit down.

The other had brought coffee and a blanket. “You came prepared,” he said, followed by a soft sigh. Now that he sat down, he felt at least a bit safer. He folded his cane and placed it on his lap, only to hold it like it was his lifeline. “So eh— do you come here often?” he asked the stupid line people often used as a pick-up line, trying to lighten the mood.

THE WEAK ARE SCARED OF THE BRAVE, AND THE BRAVE ARE SCARED OF THE FEARLESS

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Nickname: Ming, Zé
Birthday: 13/2
Sexuality: Bisexual
Ruìsāng Sū

As Míngzé inquired whether he had ever told him he hated him, Ruìsāng chuckled.“Didn’t they teach you that lying is rude?” he innocently quipped. “You love me,” he asserted with an overabundance of confidence, purposefully oblivious to the fact that he had somewhat coerced Míngzé into spending time with him. Ruìsāng knew that, despite their somewhat tumultuous beginning, Míngzé didn’t entirely resent his company.

Acknowledging Míngzé's comment about coming prepared, Ruìsāng nodded affirmatively. “Couldn’t lure you into the cold without making it at least a little pleasant, right?” he said with a cheeky grin. However, Míngzé’s next question elicited a hearty laugh from Ruìsāng. “Oh for the love of—” he murmured to himself, settling down beside Míngzé. “Yes, I do, actually. It’s a nice place to catch your breath. Especially after a nightmare,”  he shared, draping the blanket over his shoulder and then extending it to cover Míngzé as well.

Can you see the lights?” he wondered aloud. He didn’t know too much about what Míngzé could see and what he couldn’t, but the city lights were so clear from here, he wondered how much of that Míngzé could pick up.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

Míngzé raised an eyebrow before it ended up in him rolling his eyes. “Now who’s lying?” he said with a hint of amusement. A few weeks — or were it already months? — ago he might have preferred to push Sāng off this building instead of sitting here with him. Now it was nice to simply have someone to talk with.

A smile tugged at his lips at Sāng’s laugh. Míngzé was glad this time went better than last time. As long as he did not mention anything about curses and death, it should be fine. “Uh uh, yeah, totally.” More like he almost lost his ability to breathe when he first came here. The moment he felt the blanket over his shoulders, he grabbed on side and pulled it further over his shoulder. Sitting like this he could almost forget where he was. “I think I’ll stick to appearing on your doorstep out of nowhere. Which sounds very weird.” Míngzé was still smiling.

The question being asked made him turn his head to the side for a moment. This was one of the few things he did not mind talking about, probably because he did it so often.“They are too far away so kind of like— blent together I guess? It’s more like a few big beams of light.” It was always hard to describe what exactly he could and couldn’t see. Míngzé leaned back until his back properly hit the wall behind them. “My little christmas tree I’ve set up is also mostly a mess of lights with different colors. I’m pretty sure it looks awful.” Why he was telling him this, he did not know. Perhaps in an attempt to give him some more insight. It was not that they knew each other very well.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Míngzé's declaration of his preference to unexpectedly show up at Ruìsāng's doorstep elicited a raised eyebrow from him. “You know, here’s a radical idea. You could send a text, maybe ring the doorbell. Be something other than the figure lurking outside my window,” Ruìsāng playfully suggested, his tone light and devoid of any real tension. He acknowledged, at least this time, that their meeting had been more of a chance encounter, where the blame went fully to the Vulpix.

Hearing Míngzé's description of the city lights as mere beams of light, Ruìsāng hummed thoughtfully. “Not very pretty then, I assume?” he guessed. The other explained that his christmas tree looked like a mess, too, to which Ruìsāng chuckled shortly. “It’ll fit the vibe you got going on with that burn,” he nodded. Míngzé’s apartment would surely be an experience like that.

I used to come here often because it makes all your troubles feel so small. The whole city sprawls out beneath you, and everyone seems as tiny as ants,” he explained. “Though I bet that has little use to you, huh,” he hummed. He held the thermos in Míngzé’s direction, shortly pushing it against his arm to let him know it was there. It was… nice, like this. Just sitting.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

With a small smile on his lips he listened to Sāng and as he continued the smile widened. He hummed as if considering the idea. “Where would be the fun in that? This keeps it exciting.” This time it had nothing to do with any weird stuff that was going on, making it all a bit easier to joke about.

The city spread in front of him was bright, even at this time of the night. “It is not that bad actually, but I like everything with lights.” In his eyes every light was pretty, as it was the only thing he could always see. The burn in his house. “That burn is gone, luckily, I couldn't stand the smell anymore.” For a moment Mingze raised his arm.After his nightmare — or whatever it was — he had called someone to take care of it. “It also did not fit the aesthetics I was going for.”

Míngzé lowered his eyes for a moment, because what Sāng said implied that he had a lot of  troubles. But it was not his place to pry. “Pretty much, yeah,” Míngzé answered with a small smile. From up here and especially at this hour of the day he would not even notice a Salamance on the ground. “But I think I understand what you mean.” Or on top of the city. He looked aside at the gentle touch of the thermos and reached out to grab it. “Thanks.” Míngzé opened it after some feeling around and removed the cup. Normally this was the part where he would simply return it and say that it was probably best if Sāng did it, but now he didn’t.

Carefully he tried his best to fill the cup without spilling anything. "I forgot to ask, how is your hand?” While there were certain things he did not want to mention, Míngzé simply wanted to know if it was better. He took a sip from the coffee, before handing it over to Sang. 

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Míngzé’s admission that his unannounced visits added excitement elicited a quizzical arch of Ruìsāng's eyebrow. “If you keep showing up at my doorstep, I’ll have to start wondering if you are perhaps yearning for something you can’t say aloud,” he teased the other. It was easy, to tease and joke. At least it was a better atmosphere than the time before.

Ruìsāng smiled when Míngzé said he liked anything with lights. “That’s what I was hoping for,” he acknowledged. Míngzé had mentioned his better vision in light, but that was the extent of Ruìsāng’s understanding. He was glad it was at least somewhat appreciated. The view was both stunning and peaceful, a serene respite from the chaos of life.

The burn was gone, as he couldn’t stand the smell anymore. After, Míngzé mentioned it wasn’t his aesthetic. “Not? I thought black suited you well,” Ruìsāng mentioned, jokingly suggesting that an entirely charred apartment might align perfectly with Míngzé’s aesthetic.

While it didn’t have the same meaning for Míngzé, the other said he at least understood what he meant. Ruìsāng hummed softly. “Maybe,” he conceded, offering Míngzé a coffee while he himself savoured the chill of the winter air. The cold provided a certain clarity, a relief from the oppressive, unnatural cold that seemed to linger within indoor spaces.

When he was asked about his hand, Ruìsāng huffed. “Not too well. Punching a wall, getting bit and slapping things doesn’t seem to help. Who would’ve thought,” he joked. He tried to make light of the situation, because the slow pace of healing was disturbing him. He needed his hand for his job, his hobbies, his life. What would he do if it just… didn’t heal?

Did you get a date yet? After I created that profile for you,” he asked, trying to steer away from heavy subjects.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

For a moment it seemed like Sāng would behave himself, but then he came with another comment. This time it was his own fault. “Since you are the one who keeps bringing it up, I feel like you’re mostly talking about yourself.” He gently bumped Sang with his elbow.

Míngzé huffed at those words. “Black sure, the burned aesthetic however is not really my thing.” Although he did not really have another option left. His house had been an easy fix. His arm was another story entirely.

Míngzé did not know what he expected when he asked about Sāng’s hand. But this was not it. Had he really punched more stuff after that one day? “How strange, I thought that was what the doctor prescribed.” He could not help but shake his head a little as he had a small smile on his lips. It did not come as a surprise that Sāng tried to joke about it. “Just be careful, you only have two.” Meaning he did not want Sāng to lose a hand because of his own recklessness.

With a raised eyebrow he looked to the side, not knowing why Sāng asked about his dating life all of the sudden. When more information followed, he formed a silent ‘ow’ with his lips. Then he shook his head. “You really think I’ve swiped people?” He asked while pointing at himself. Because it worked both ways. “Haven’t opened the app since. Not the right time I guess.” It was not like his life was going smoothly right now. "And I would have no idea who exactly I'm swiping." Which was another great excuse.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Míngzé suggested that Ruìsāng’s frequent references to unspoken desires might actually be self-referential. In response, Ruìsāng's lips curled into a sly, cheeky grin. “What? Did you think I was trying to be subtle?” he retorted.

Míngzé’s caution about being careful with his hands earned a lighthearted response from Ruìsāng. “Hǎo, hǎo. I’ll try my best, yéyé*,” he quipped with a grin. His attempts at holding back were sincere, yet somehow, he often found himself falling short of his intentions.

Upon learning that Míngzé had largely ignored Charm, despite Ruìsāng setting it up for him, he let out a soft sigh. “Can’t that app of yours read out their bio’s? It’s not like their looks matter anyways,” he pointed out with a shrug. “Giving dating a chance might be good for you. It could at least provide some amusing stories,” he suggested. And of course, any such stories would need to be shared with Ruìsāng.

* 爷爷: “grandpa”

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

Sāng was really impossible sometimes, but by now he had learned to live with it. Or maybe because he’d given him somewhat of a chance, he’d warmed up to him. Míngzé only shook his head, deciding that not responding was the better option here. But what followed after his advice made him look at him with raised eyebrows. “Did you just—” he started his question. This was the bad part about being able to understand Sāng. “Thank you for making me feel old,” he said jokingly.

The whole point of charm was swiping left or right because you liked how someone looked and if their bio’s were interesting. When he heard people talk about it, that’s always how it went. He gave Sāng a look, before he gazed back over the city with a soft ‘huh’. Slowly he sipped from his coffee as Sāng kept talking. “I never thought about it like that, you know?” Míngzé moved a bit and grabbed his phone to open the app. It all depended on the app itself, if that one was compatible with the software he had installed.

“How about you? Have all your pretty words managed to catch someone’s attention?” Míngzé asked while he was opening the app on his phone. Of course it had to install an update first, because it had been a while.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

No worries, gēgē. You’re still fit, even at your age,” Ruìsāng quipped reassuringly as Míngzé commented on feeling old. Although Míngzé wasn’t significantly older, Ruìsāng couldn’t resist the opportunity to tease him about the age difference, imagining Míngzé grumbling about the ‘youngsters’ from Ruìsāng’s generation.

As Míngzé pondered over the dating app, eventually reaching for his phone, Ruìsāng offered a nonchalant shrug. He was about to say more when Míngzé posed his question. A single name surfaced in his mind, causing him to clench his jaw. What a fool he was.

Me? I’m not on there for anything lasting. I don’t even remember their names,” he scoffed, brushing off the notion. “But my pretty words catch a lot of attention, thank you. My bio is also very true, if you’re curious,” he added with a grin.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

If he was getting old, then it might be time to indeed try some dating apps before it was too late. It had been a few years, so why not. Sāng on the other hand did not seem to have any troubles in that department. “Names, plural,” Míngzé remarked with an eyebrow. “Alright, so no one special on this app. How about at your work?” He was a bartender, so he met a lot of new people on a regular basis.

The update did not take long and the first profile appeared on his phone. Immediately the voice on there started speaking at a rapid pace, telling him everything.

Be for real right now

Send me some music suggestions

no, your personality can't be all about being a swiftie, that goes for all those generic boy pop bands too Jessica

This was definitely a start. “What the hell is a swiftie?” In any case it was better than whatever he expected. It was not some guy talking about how good they are in bed. He let his finger hover over his screen, first waiting for Sāng’s reaction.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Darling, the concept casual sex isn’t foreign to you, is it?” Ruìsāng asked with a chuckle when Míngzé seemed taken aback by the mention of multiple partners. It was a bit ironic, considering their own first meeting had been in the aftermath of one of Ruìsāng's many fleeting liaisons.

However, the conversation shifted to a more serious tone when Míngzé broached the subject of work. Ruìsāng's jaw tensed again, his response carrying a note of hesitation. “I don’t know. Maybe,” he confessed hesitantly. “It’s… complicated, I think.” He didn’t know.

Huddled together under the blanket, Ruìsāng easily peeked at Míngzé’s phone screen. In a swift, impulsive move, he snatched the device and enthusiastically superliked Alastor’s profile. “That’s my bestie, Alastor. He’s amazing. He’s a musician and he’s hot. I was super in love with him as a teen. He’s one of the best people I know and you should meet him,” he said, unusually earnest in his praise.

But, my dearest gēgē,” he leaned closer to Míngzé, his voice taking on a more serious edge, “break his heart and I’ll break your neck, deal?

As long as they’d get that out of the way, Ruìsāng couldn’t wait to see this unfold.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

When he first asked if there was someone special, Sāng had immediately given a very clear answer. No one on this app was worth enough to him to even remember their names. However now his reaction had been totally different. Míngzé raised an eyebrow as he listened and gave Sāng the space he needed to say something. Softly he hummed. “And is it worth it?” Míngzé carefully asked as he did not want to step out of line.

Míngzé blinked in surprise when all of the sudden his phone left his hands. His first reaction had been to grab it again, thinking it had somehow fallen out of his hands. Which was not what happend. It was Sāng who’d pulled it out of his hands. What followed was a wave of praise. Amused he looked at the other before shaking his head. “That’s it, you’ve completely convinced me, let me arrange this date immediately,” he said with the needed sarcasm and slightly raised hands. At least he sounded like a good guy, which was more than what he expected from anyone on this app.

The other leaned in, which was fine, until he started talking. Míngzé really had to force down the urge to stand up and completely move away from him. Instead he only leaned to the side a little bit while he looked at Sāng in a desperate attempt to catch a glimpse of his expression. Was this a joke? Surely. It had to be. An awkward smile formed on his lips. “On second thought, I think I prefer my neck over a relationship,” he tried to sound lighthearted as he made this joke. Unconsciously he rubbed his neck.

“How about the next one?” he asked after clearing his throat. His golden eyes were already on his phone that was still in Sāng’s hands.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

That’s the million dollar question, isn’t it?” Ruìsāng mused, his voice tinged with a blend of cynicism and contemplation. He paused, grappling with the thoughts that perpetually skated the periphery of his consciousness, those unspoken truths that, if voiced, might somehow become more real, more damning.

I think…” he began tentatively, trying to articulate something deeply personal, fearful of revealing too much. He was wary of revealing the insecurities that gnawed at him, the self-doubts that he felt might, once acknowledged, be validated by the world. “I think he likes me,” Ruìsāng finally admitted. “But I also think that… what he likes is an idea of me that doesn’t exist.” He let out a dismissive scoff. “So no. Maybe it isn’t worth it.

The topic of charm, especially regarding Alastor, was a safer territory. Despite Míngzé’s scepticism, Ruìsāng was confident in his best friend’s likeability. After all, what wasn’t there to like about Alastor? Sure, he might be a bit oblivious, occasionally a bit stupid, really, but his kindness, his humour (albeit unintentional), his goodness – these were qualities that Ruìsāng cherished deeply. Alastor was, in many ways, all that he had.

Thus, Ruìsāng’s protective instincts kicked in, leading him to threaten Míngzé. Míngzé’s joke about valuing his neck elicited a sweet smile from Ruìsāng. “Just don’t break the hearts of truly good people. They deserve something better than that,” he shrugged. Maybe those words were more aimed at himself than at Míngzé.

When Míngzé signalled readiness to move on to the next profile, Ruìsāng smoothly shifted focus.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

There was no saying what kind of situation Sāng had found himself in. While Míngzé had a good understanding of the other, it was still a very hard egg to crack. He did not share much and was mostly all jokes and flirts. This side was something completely different from everything he had seen of him before.

Míngzé stayed quiet, giving Sāng the room to continue this conversation or to jump to the next topic. To his surprise, the other continued. He leaned back and pulled the blanket a bit more over his shoulder as he gazed over the city. “If he likes you,” Míngzé started carefully, trying to find the right words. “You have already shown him a part of you that is worth liking. That part might already make it feel worth it to him.” Maybe he was not the best person to give this kind of advice, since he’d thought his ex had been worth it too. There had been parts he’d liked and back then he thought those parts were worth it too. He let go of a deep breath through his nose as he rested his head against the wall. But Sāng was a better person than his ex would ever be.

It was just his luck that the first profile they came across was of someone Sāng knew. Knew a bit too well. Listening to Sāng praise had been amusing and he almost wanted to meet the guy just because of that. That was until he almost got a death threat if he were to ever break this man’s heart. “Not sure what you think my hobbies are, but breaking people’s hearts is not one of them,” he said in an attempt to keep it light- hearted.

The next few profiles were nothing interesting. SImply people talking about certain body parts, some making weird sexual jokes and all of these immediately got swiped left.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Míngzé’s suggestion that Vince's affection for Ruìsāng indicated he had shown a likeable side of himself, and that this might make pursuing a relationship worthwhile, elicited a scoff from Ruìsāng. He shook his head, his scepticism clear.

Good-hearted people tend to see only the best in others because they’ve never truly been exposed to the worst,” Ruìsāng countered with a casual, yet poignant tone. “They often think they can fix people, as if a sweet smile and good intentions can magically transform someone into a better version of themselves.” He thought bitterly of the countless times he had silently pleaded for his father to change, but the Gods had remained quiet. Life had taught him that change wasn’t as simple as willing it into existence.

When Míngzé mentioned that breaking hearts wasn’t his hobby, Ruìsāng's expression softened slightly. “That’s good. The world is short on genuinely good people. I can’t stand the thought of someone shattering him,” he said, his jaw tightening. He had witnessed it too many times: people with a malicious intent to corrupt the innocent, as if the mere existence of goodness was a threat to themselves. Ruìsāng vowed that anyone who dared attempt such a thing with Alastor would regret it.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

It became clear that Sāng did not agree with what he said, which was fine. What he said also made sense, which made it hard to argue. Especially since he knew barely anything about this situation. It was like walking on eggshells too as he did not want to say the wrong thing.

“Or maybe they don’t mind this current version,” Míngzé said with a short shrug. Fixing people was nearly impossible, especially if the other party did not want to get fixed. Or thought they did not need fixing. Telling Sāng that he was not a bad person did not seem like the right move, although Míngzé assumed that was what the other meant. That whoever he was talking about was too good for him. “‘Not everything needs to be fixed.” As no one was perfect.

Whoever this Alastor was, meant a lot to Sāng, which was good for him. Everyone deserves someone at their side that would always be there, no matter what. “He’s lucky to have someone like you at his side. no, wait— how often do you tell his dates that you will break their neck?” Míngzé had a smile on his face as he said that last part. The first part however he truly meant.  

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Ruìsāng mulled over the possibility that someone might actually be content with who he was currently, that not all things in life required fixing. Yet, his scepticism resurfaced as Míngzé spoke. “Or perhaps it’s as they say: love is blinding. It often leads people to see only what they wish to, not the reality that stands before them,” he countered. No matter how poetically Míngzé phrased it, Ruìsāng knew from his own experiences that people often didn’t see a red flag even if their lives depended on it.

At Míngzé’s comment about Alastor being fortunate to have Ruìsāng as a friend, he feigned an innocent blink. When asked how often he threatened his friend’s potential dates, Ruìsāng replied with a sly smile that left it ambiguous whether he was serious or jesting. “Every single time,” he confirmed, his expression playfully mischievous. “But truly, I’m the one who is fortunate to have Alastor. Now, let’s see what you think of this next one,” he suggested, smoothly transitioning to the next profile on the dating app. It was time to redirect their focus to Míngzé’s love life.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

Míngzé wished to believe he had a good understanding of Sāng at this point. While there was so much he did not know, he had an image of the man next to him and it was a good one. A bit of doubt however slipped in, caused by Sāng’s own insecurity about himself. A deep sigh rolled over his lips. “Maybe,” he muttered. It would not be the first time he was wrong about someone either. “I’m sure you’ll figure it out.” In the end it was Sāng who had to do this.

A soft chuckle sounded as Míngzé rolled his eyes. “Ever thought about the possibility that’s why he’s still single?” he joked. He could imagine how someone would be downright scared after hearing such a threat, whether true or false. Sāng was probably all bark and no bite, but he could bark very loudly and scare people away that way.

But it was time for another profile and Míngzé swiped again, his eyes directed at the light emanating from the small screen. The first words already made him frown and it got only worse as his phone carried on at a hundred miles an hour.

Johnny, 33, Sanctum City — Wake the fuck up, we've got a city to burn!
If you're good at something, never do it for free. So can I get a free kiss, to practice?

“How do people expect to get likes this way?” Míngzé asked as he looked at the profile with a hint of disgust on his face. This was more what he expected from people using charm. 

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Sponsored content