Guidebook
Memberlist
Accountswitch

Slowly out of line

2 posters
Ruìsāng Sū
IC Posts : 981

Ruìsāng SūBlessed by ????
Almost effortlessly, Ruìsāng could have manipulated a car lock and set it in motion. Wouldn't have been a first. He'd jacked his mom's car before owning his own, but explaining a stolen ride to Vince wasn't a conversation he looked forward to. His mom's perpetual state of inebriation had made her unfit to drive, and he'd learned to manoeuvre cars out of sheer necessity.

As the distant sirens announced the approach of firefighters, Ruìsāng retreated down an alley, putting some distance between himself and the impending chaos. Although not directly accountable for the fire, he was the lone witness to its inception. Additionally, the Vulpix, the true perpetrator, tailed him. Best to sidestep the brewing tumult.

Several alleys later, Ruìsāng procured an Uber nearby. Initially, he considered leaving the Vulpix behind but when the Mawile joined them in the car, the Vulpix jumped in as well. Sighing, he closed the door and retrieved Vince's address from his map history.

A journey that should have taken twenty minutes morphed into a nearly forty-minute ordeal due to a perplexingly direction-challenged Uber driver. Unfortunately, Ruìsāng surpassed the supposed "1-hour" deadline by about twenty minutes. With his phone's battery drained, he couldn't notify Vince.

Hoping Vince would forgive the delay, Ruìsāng exited the car and ascended the stairs. He rang the bell to Vince's apartment. The Vulpix lingered a few metres away, while the Mawile, ever impatient, stood beside Ruìsāng's foot, eagerly awaiting the door's reopening.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Nickname: Sāng
Birthday: 14 / 12
Occupation: Bartender & 4th year bachelor (hospitality management)
Sexuality: Gay
Vince Newman
IC Posts : 406

Vince Newman
Had he been anxiously looking at the clock for the past ten minutes? Yes. Did the clock move faster just because he did this? Absolutely not. And it annoyed the crap out of him. he still felt his heart beat fast in his chest, when he had noticed how Sang had spoken to him. It was so... out of character, that he had made him worry sick. Fuck. "Winnie, help me out here." He sighed softly, sitting back down on the couch and letting the fluffy Buizel jump on his lap. He sighed, closed his eyes and petted the pokémon that was making its self comfortable. This wasn't going to work out. He could be sitting here and worrying for the next hour, just to make sure that Sang was coming to his house in one piece. But maybe he could make himself useful. So, he placed the Buizel next to him, where it curled herself up and went right back to sleep.
The moment the doorbell rang, the apartment was spotless, including the bits that he hated doing. His neighbours probably weren't so happy with him vacuuming at this hour, but he couldn't really care less. Vince looked up when he heard the bell and placed the broom against the wall, opening the front door. His heart jumped, seeing the man standing in front of him. "You idiot." He huffed to the man, before giving him a hug. "I'm glad you're safe." He murmured against his shoulder.
+ Ruìsāng Sū

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Nickname: Vinnie
Birthday: 01-04-2003
Ruìsāng Sū

A lingering fear persisted in Ruìsāng, half-expecting a monstrous sight to greet him. Nervous energy clawed at his chest, an anxious sensation eager to escape. Everywhere he looked, he half-anticipated seeing her, feeling her presence lurking around every corner. In a bid to calm his nerves, he closed his eyes, concentrating on the ordinary rustling behind the door. It sounded... normal.

As the door swung open, Ruìsāng's eyes snapped open, meeting Vince's golden gaze. “Hey—”  he began, only to be promptly dubbed an idiot before being enveloped in a hug. Startled, Ruìsāng flinched momentarily, then settled into the embrace, arms loosely wrapping around the green-haired man's back.

I’m sorry,” he murmured, an apology for the worry, the near involvement, and for being too late. It seemed he had reached a point where he couldn't pinpoint a single thing to apologise for. “I shouldn’t have…” he continued, tightening his hold, pulling Vince a bit closer. It felt easier this way, avoiding eye contact.

After all, once he’d let go, he’d have to keep his promise.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Vince Newman

Vince Newman
Burying himself in the clothing of Sang, he breathed in deeply, noticing the smell of burning, which made him shudder. He hated it, he hated that he cared so much for this man that he let it overtake his life. But he also was so, so happy that he was safe. That he could hold him in his arms, like he was doing now. And that Sang pulled him in closer only made him happier, he was safe. He could just make out an apology, which he wanted to accept but waited. He wanted to hear the full story first, but he would accept the apology for making him worry this much. He shouldn't have, that was maybe the one thing that Vince could agree with. Even if he wasn't sure what he shouldn't have. Called him? Telling him what was going on? Coming here? He pushed himself slowly out of the embrace, looking at the man, before guiding him over the doorstep. "I made tea. Please, sit down." He told Sang, even though he mostly just wanted to stay here, hugging, making sure that the man wouldn't leave, wouldn't make him worry this much again. Keeping an eye on him. But before he could do such  thing, something pushed it's way between the two men. Standing on her backlegs, the Buizel nudges curiously against the leg of Sang. + Ruìsāng Sū

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

In that moment, Ruìsāng wished time would come to a standstill. He felt as if he could have stood there until the sun rose in the morning, but reality was a cruel mistress, and his grip on the world slipped away. Reluctantly, he released Vince and found himself gazing into golden eyes. Ruìsāng summoned a faint, smile in the hope that Vince would notice its sincerity. He moved forward, crossing the threshold as he was gently guided inside. His thoughts remained in disarray, but the urge to lash out, to fight, simply didn't manifest. Vince was no threat.

Vince's words reached him with a muted resonance, and Ruìsāng nodded absentmindedly. Then, a sudden touch on his leg startled him, drawing his attention downward. There, a small, pink creature met his gaze — a Buizel, of all things. He furrowed his brow in puzzlement but extended his hand tentatively, offering the creature a chance to respond. With careful gentleness, he gave it a pat.

Winnie?” he guessed, identifying the phone thief.

Meanwhile, the Mawile followed suit, crossing the threshold into Vince's apartment. Ruìsāng hadn't forced her back into her Pokéball, nor did he plan to. He felt it was safer to have her by his side. The Vulpix hesitated for a moment before deciding to step inside as well. Ruìsāng gestured toward them. “I brought… them,” he announced, quietly closing the door behind him. He then proceeded to the couch, where he lowered himself onto the seat and buried his face in his hands.

I… I’m glad you stayed.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Vince Newman

Vince Newman
He still had no idea what exactly happened to this man, but the one thing that he did know what that he wanted to keep him here, safe and sound. He knew that Sang would never accept if he would ask him to stay for longer than a day, and he also had to keep in mind that Kayn was out there somewhere. They still hadn’t really talked bout what happened between them and Vince already had enough things to worry about. So he had pushed his old best friend to the side, to comfort the other man he was seeing as a friend now.
When Winnie tried to get in between the two, he smiled guilty when Sang identified her. ”Yes. The newest addition to this house. She’s a trouble maker, but an excellent pillow.” He laughed shyly, picking up the fuzzy Buizel so that Sang could pet her is he wanted. The Pokémon immediately tried t climb on his shoulder, to be able to get a higher view point. ”See what I mean?” Vince sighed, bowing forwards, so that the Pokémon wouldn’t fall from his shoulder and back.
He looked up, with some difficulty, when Sang told him that he had brought them. He recognised the Mawile, but the little black Vulpix was unknown to him. Vince placed Winnie back on the ground, who hide behind his legs when she noticed the two other Pokémon. ”A Vulpix?” He asked curiously. Crouching down he examined the Pokémon. ”She has a trait?” Golden eyes looking up at Sang. This was clearly not how a Vulpix was supposed to look like, even when they were shiny.
Vince followed Sang, who placed himself down on his couch, burying his face in his hands. Telling him that he was glad that he had stayed home. He sighed softly, scratching the back of his neck while he looked over Sang outside. ”I was at the point of calling the firefighters, hitching a ride to get to you.” He confessed.
+ Ruìsāng Sū

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Vince's enthusiasm for his Pokémon was unmistakable, and Ruìsāng could appreciate the boy's joy. He genuinely felt Vince deserved this happiness. Yet, a part of him was disheartened to see the new Pokémon's apparent weakness. Ruìsāngwished for something more formidable to stand guard by Vince's side, to ensure his safety. The thought of leaving Lìeyàn behind crossed his mind, a protective measure to ensure Vince's well-being. But the prospect of life without his companion was unbearable, so he refrained, offering instead a tender smile and a gentle pat to the new Pokémon.

Vince's reaction to seeing a Vulpix was one of surprise, and he began to speak of a trait, but Ruìsāng gestured dismissively, indicating he would elaborate later. “Long story,” he said briefly, moving towards the couch.

Ruìsāng thanked Vince for not rushing to his aid in what Vince might have perceived as a rescue attempt. Vince's admission of almost calling the firefighters drew a chuckle from Ruìsāng. “I didn’t want you there,” he confessed, shaking his head. “Especially not with her around. She...” He paused, lifting his face and placing his hands in his lap, drawing a deep breath.

I need to explain this before I lose my nerve,” he decided.

Some time ago, after getting into a fight, I ended up in an alley where an older woman offered help. She looked… kind, like a character from a fairy tale,” he began, recalling vividly how she had reached out to him.

She showed me a way out, and suddenly, we were in a field of flowers, her house nearby. Everything else, including Lìeyàn, was gone,” he continued, gesturing towards the Mawile who had positioned herself in front of the door, arms folded, attentively listening. The Vulpix had taken up a spot in a corner, its red eyes fixed intently on them.

But something felt wrong. My mind kept telling me to… flee. She kept promising to help, promising peace, an end to all pain...” Ruìsāng's voice trailed off, a visible tension gripping him as he clenched his jaw and cast his gaze downward.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Vince Newman

Vince Newman
"Come on, Winnie. Give him some space." Vince said softly, picking up the pink Buizel and setting her behind him. He didn't want to constrict Sang with all his pokémon who all wanted equal amounts of attention. Right now, he gathered that the man didn't want that at all. The Buizel looked at him with a disappointed look and jumped on one of the chairs, curled herself up in a little ball and quickly fell asleep. Vince himself took place next to Sang, when he said that he didn't want him to be there. He still had no idea what had happened to him, but the tone of voice made him shiver. Whatever had happened to Sang, it wasn't good.

He remained quiet, only nodding when Sang told him that he needed to explain before losing his nerves. Vince wanted to tell him that he shouldn't feel obligated to tell him and if he didn't want to, he didn't have to. But he couldn't undermine his own curiosity. So he listened, intently, taking in every little detail that was spoken. Right now, Vince cursed himself for having a very vivid imagination and thinking in pictures, because this wasn't what he had in mind. A shivering went down his spine and he just wanted to wrap his arms around Sang, telling him that he was safe here and that she couldn't hurt him here. But he also, subconsciously, knew that he would never be able to protect Sang, not with how he was and how his pokémons were. He could fight, doing pokémon fights that was, he had gotten some training when he was younger. But, he never trained his pokémon, not these at least. Vince bit his lip while he listened.

"Sounds like she played with your mind." He eventually spoke softly. He placed an arm around his shoulder, making sure not to press too hard so that it wouldn't hurt. He wanted to say more, but he had the feeling that Sang wasn't entirely done with his story just yet. So he fell silent again, waiting for the man to either continue or just enjoy a moment of peace.  
+ Ruìsāng Sū

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Talking about it meant acknowledging its existence. That’s how Ruìsāng had navigated his life, a precarious dance around the truth. Each time the door to his home clicked shut behind him, he’d weave a tale of normalcy for anyone who asked. In those moments, the harsh reality of his life dissolved into a mirage. It wasn’t an alcoholic mother that awaited him, but a serene nothingness. He clung to this illusion, a desperate bid to deny the curse that shackled his heart.

Yet, denial was a crumbling facade. The act of calling Vince had shattered it, rendering everything painfully real.

Vince’s words were gentle, suggesting manipulation. Ruìsāng, leaning into the touch, nodded slowly, a silent storm brewing in his eyes. Words seemed just out of reach. Even now, the instinct to withhold, to mask his truth, was something he couldn’t abandon.

When I tried to escape, she... she forced me to stay. In my struggle... I bit her, and in retaliation, she flung me to the ground, tore my hand open,” he explained, motioning with his bandaged hand. He assumed that tore open would be vivid enough of a description. “She…” He faltered, shaking his head.

He could keep this burden to himself, spare Vince the horror of seeing him as a monster. But perhaps honesty was the path to choose. Laying bare his scars might dispel Vince’s misguided belief in his salvation.

She cursed me,” he confessed. “Stopped my heart as if it was nothing. Cursed it… somehow. I don’t know. I got out after I smacked my face into hers and the world snapped back into focus. It was over, or I thought it was, until she found me again today,” he continued explaining. There was so much… he still didn’t know what it all had been about.

One moment, I was outside my apartment. The next, I was… there. There was an illusion— I think. I don’t know. She’s too powerful. I can’t discern the false from the real with her,” he concluded. “That’s why I can’t have you anywhere near her.” Because it wasn’t safe and there was nothing Vince could do.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Vince Newman

Vince Newman
As Sang leaned into his touch, he moved himself a bit so that it would be more comfortable for both of them. He wanted to wrap his other arm around him as well, just complete the embrace. But he decided against it, first he wanted to let Sang tell his story, afterwards they would see where this could end.

Vince hadn't even noticed that he had held his breath, not until the man told him that he had bitten her. He let the air escape with a hissing sound, wanting to open his mouth to say something, but closed it again. No, first the full story, after that he could ask questions. If he still wanted to, at least. He placed his hand over the bandaged one of Sang, being as careful as he could be so that he wouldn't hurt him.

Cursed? As in, actually cursed? He probably shouldn't be that surprised, with what had happened to him and the blessing he had received. Still, it sounded weird in his head. He listened, trying to connect the dots. It sounded like one very bad trip that Sang had gone through, but his expression, the pain on his face, made him realize how real it had been, even if Sang didn't fully believe it yet. He thought, while listening, trying to figure out any way of helping this poor man. But all his ideas would come from fantasy books that he had read in his youth and absolutely wouldn't work in the real world. So he had to figure out something else.

"This is real." He said softly, slowly letting his hand go through Sang's hair. "This is no illusion, this is real." It was the best he could do, give the man the affirmation that he might need. "I'm glad you're safe, Byeolbit. I really am." He followed up, his voice soft and gentle.
+ Ruìsāng Sū

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

When Ruìsāng voiced his curse, he braced for rejection, for the world to crumble at the confession. Such a dark secret, he believed, would shatter his life. Yet, as the words left his lips, the earth did not quake, reality remained unaltered, and most surprisingly, Vince showed no signs of recoiling. This unexpected steadiness made Ruìsāng retreat inward, shrinking in anticipation of a blow that never came.

As Vince's hand gently sifted through his hair, Ruìsāng found himself drawn to the comforting gesture. Vince’s assurance of his safety was met with a soft, incredulous scoff from Ruìsāng. “She’ll come back,” he said, placing a hand against his chest. “Each time, I think I’m powerless against her, and yet somehow, I survive, but never beat her,” he tried explaining. “She used her— I think. The monster. Tried to get it to kill me,” he continued, his gaze drifting to the bandaged hand marked by tiny, crimson-stained bite marks from the Vulpix.

I didn’t— I didn’t want to call you, but I thought I was going crazy until I heard someone,” he confessed. “You can’t— I can’t get you involved.” But he didn’t know how to deal with this himself, either.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Vince Newman

Vince Newman
"Maybe she's testing you." He spoke softly, trying to make a rational thing out of this. His gaze in the distance, while his mind is trying to wrap around everything that he has been told up to this point. "Seeing if you're getting stronger." He sighed softly, absentmindedly playing with Sang's hair. "As you say, you keep finding her, surviving yet not defeating. Maybe she's doing just enough to you to survive, that maybe next time you're strong enough, or been taught enough, to actually defeat her." His words softer towards the end, as he realizes how much of a book this all sounded. As if he was able to make anything rational about this whole situation.

He shook his head. "I'll not interfere." He promised Sang. "But keep me up-to-date, please. I'd rather not find in tomorrow newspaper that they found you dead in a gutter." He swallowed hard, not even wanting to think about it all. If.. if that would be the headline tomorrow, he would go back home. He wouldn't want to stay here then. Biting his lip, he looked away, not wanting Sang see the worry in his golden eyes. Fuck.

"I'm here for you, always. Whenever you need me, just call. I still have no work and besides the few times that I'm in the studio, I'm always home." He reassured the man, smiling softly.
+ Ruìsāng Sū

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

The notion that the grandmother’s actions were a test, etched a frown onto Ruìsāng’s face. Deep down, he doubted it was a mere test. Her intent hadn’t seemed to be his survival. However, Vince’s perspective might hold a sliver of truth. Perhaps, in his own way, Ruìsāng was adapting, learning from the sinister games he was entangled in. A part of him began to believe that he could overcome her, that he must.

Vince’s assurance of non-interference was a relief. Ruìsāng nodded, a silent acceptance of this promise. At Vince’s request to stay informed, a scoff escaped Ruìsāng's lips, tinged with a hint of irony. “I’ll text you to let you know I’m alive,” he assured the other. That was the least he could do. Also, it gave him a perfectly valid reason to text the other when he wanted to.

Suppressing another apology, Ruìsāng instead expressed his gratitude. “Thank you,” he said, finding comfort in Vince's non-imposing presence. The weight of his revelations made him uncertain about whether sharing them was the right choice, but it undeniably eased some of his burden.

Now, all he yearned for was to retreat from the ordeal, to embrace sleep's forgetful embrace. He offered Vince a frail smile. “Don’t say that too loudly or boss-man will hire you on the spot in the lounge,” he joked weakly.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Vince Newman

Vince Newman
A weight was lifted from his chest when Sang told him that he would text him. A soft smile curled his lips. "Keeping you to that." He said with a chuckle, knowing fully well that the man would exploit this agreement. Did he mind? Not in the slightest. The days he had been spending with Sang had been probably the best he had in a long time. And that wasn't something he wanted to lose any time soon.

He smiled when he got thanked. "It's the lease I could do for you." Pressing his lips in Sangs hair. "Do you still want me to make you some tea or coffee?" He offered, seeing how almost everyone in the room eventually had fallen asleep. With the Buizel softly snoring in the chair. Nazar had retreated to his bedroom, probably making itself comfortable between the plushies on his bed.

Chuckling softly when Sang told him that his boss would hire him on the spot. "Please, I'm not made for behind a bar." He said softly. "And I'm very seriously working on my music career." Trying to be serious, the bubble eventually burst, letting Vince laugh about it. At this moment he wasn't even sure what he wanted to do with his life.
+ Ruìsāng Sū

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

It was the least he could do, Vince said. This was met with a soft hum from Ruìsāng, an acknowledgment that resonated with a mix of gratitude and confusion. When Vince’s lips brushed against his hair in a tender gesture, Ruìsāng’s eyes fluttered shut. He couldn't understand why Vince didn’t flee, now knowing the full extent of his affliction – not just a tormented mind but cursed to darkness. The tendrils of his curse didn’t just dwell in his heart but were etched across his chest. Ruìsāng wanted to voice his question, to ask why Vince stayed, but fear muffled his words. The potential answer was too terrifying.

Did he still want tea or coffee? Ruìsāng shook his head. “No… Sleep, maybe,” he admitted. “Sorry.” He was at a loss about what he apologised for – was it for coming here, or for what he’d become?

Vince's kindness was overwhelming, almost alien to Ruìsāng’s understanding. He tried convincing himself that this was Vince’s natural demeanour towards anyone, that his compassion wasn’t exclusive to him. In Ruìsāng’s eyes, Vince was the type to extend a helping hand to a stray thief in the streets, indiscriminate in his kindness. And Ruìsāng, with his own darkness, felt drawn to it, tempted to misconstrue this kindness as something more profound, something personal. Something that was just for him. Because his own kindness was limited. Because he wasn’t good.

When even a monster told you that you didn’t deserve anything more, you ought to listen.

Yeah, you should,” he agreed, his response somewhat distant. Vince had dreams to chase.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Vince Newman

Vince Newman
Vince's lips curled up softly, a silence had fallen over the pair in the room. And he hadn't had the intention of breaking it. Enjoying this more than he probably should have, he hummed in response to the hum that Sang produced. Followed by the soft humming that he had been doing since he had returned from the forest, a humming that he had been doing a lot lately, almost on instinct. He had noticed that it calmed people, and pokémon alike. Maybe he should write it down, work with it, make actual music out of it. An idea he pitched for later.

Sang voiced that he didn't want the coffee or tea, just sleep. In which Vince responded with a soft hum, of course. Just like before. Now it was him that was exhausted, after an adventure one didn't want to repeat again. He combed the mans hair with his fingers, softly, tender. "Then sleep, Byeolbit. You can take the bed, if you want." He wouldn't voice the option to stay where they were right now, as it didn't felt right to say something like that at this moment. But he wouldn't be complaining if Sang would want that. No, never complaining.

Maybe he should text Madi, that he wouldn't be at the studio tomorrow, give himself a day off. She was busy with recording anyway. He just used the space to be writing, nothing more. But it was better if he would stay here, get Sang up and running again. Maybe making breakfast tomorrow. He smiled, when the man told him that he should do that, doing something with his music. "Maybe I will." He spoke softly, looking in the distance.
+ Ruìsāng Sū

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

As Vince’s gentle humming filled the quiet space, Ruìsāng allowed his eyes to drift shut, surrendering to the tranquillity and the presence beside him.

In these moments, he pondered the fleeting nature of this peace, wondering how long it would be before this too, like so many good things in his life, slipped away. His life’s narrative had been one where the good seldom lingered, and only the bad seemed to endure. Alastor was the rare exception, a constant in a sea of change. Expecting anything more, Ruìsāng knew, was wishful thinking.

Yet, as Vince’s fingers wove through his hair, a part of Ruìsāng yearned for this moment to defy the pattern of his life. It was a feeling of belonging, a sense of home he’d rarely, if ever, experienced. Vince’s offer to take the bed brought a frown to Ruìsāng’s face, tinged with annoyance. “I didn’t come here for you to sleep elsewhere,” he murmured. In this moment, he wished for proximity, for the comfort of Vince’s presence through the night, for however long he’d be allowed to have it.

Despite asking for sleep, Ruìsāng remained motionless, leaning more heavily against Vince, the rhythm of his breathing deepening in a silent concession to weariness. Perhaps, he mused, he could sleep here. That wouldn’t be so bad, would it? To drift off enveloped in a rare, serene warmth, even if just for tonight.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Vince Newman

Vince Newman
A soft chuckle, when Sang told him that he hadn't come here for Vince to be sleeping anywhere else. He wouldn't have said it, but he was glad that they were on the same page about that. Because he wasn't going anywhere, sitting here, with the man in his arms, a feeling of serenity, this was the best he could have hoped for. Yet, the green haired boy wished that there would come a day that they could share a moment like this without all the adventures and trauma. Continuing his soft humming, he played with the hair of the man, slowly drifting away in one of his many day dreams, listening to the steady breathing of Sang. Wondering how this would have been different had he not reacted to that one text message. But if he started like that, he could've go way way back. All the 'what ifs' that plagues his mind, wondering about this and that. Things that could've gone differently if he hadn't been sent here, if he had just been the perfect little heir that his father had wished for. How different his life would've been if he had ignored Sang's text, or hadn't gone to that lounge. If he hadn't called him when he was lost outside the forest.

The questions made him tired, yet wide awake. His mind making up scenarios he didn't want to think about right now. Vince sighed softly, wrapping his arms carefully around Sang, before placing his head on the back rest of the couch, before finally drifting off in a alert state of sleep.
+ Ruìsāng Sū

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Sponsored content