Accountswitch

Choice is an illusion

2 posters
Míngzé Xǔ
IC Posts : 1175

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????
HYPOCRITE OF DARKNESS
SHOWS ITS FACE, LIKE A NIGHTMARE, AGAIN, THIS REPETITIVE PATTERN

There was one thing Míngzé could agree on. Yes, he wished he had stayed out of this too. Getting involved was never something he desired, but now, it was unavoidable. With the artifact back in his hands, he hid it in his jacket once more. This was it then. His finger dug into the fabric when it was done.

For the first time the question lingered in his head; Was the choice he made worth all of this?

Did it matter? There was no going back. What was done was done. Míngzé had simply believed this would have gone differently. Where he thought there would be understanding here, there was none to be found. Instead he was turned into the villain instantly. It was clear that Sāng did not share the same trust he did, which made him wonder if it has ever even been there. Had he been at fault for trusting him with everything? It did not matter any longer.

All because he was weak. Weak for not accepting the affinity that was given to him before. Míngzé clicked his tongue in annoyance. Guess he could only show his strength by accepting the new one that now flowed through him.

Míngzé stood nailed to the ground as everything came at him. “You think I'm capable of bloodshed?” Hearing the words rolling over his mouth was enough to make him feel sick. Yet a huff followed. He could not believe it. A troubled expression was painting his face as he was processing everything. “Fine, paint me your villain if that is what you see me as.” His own voice awfully calm. This was all too much for one day.

A corner of his mouth twitched. While not good at the language, he understood what the other meant. “So it would seem.” Where Míngzé believed they had a strong foundation, it was clear now he had been wrong. Perhaps he was the fool for having believed otherwise. One misstep and it all crumbled to the floor.

He stood there for a few more seconds, unable to get his feet moving. It was still difficult to comprehend how this all had gone so very wrong. Finally, he got his legs moving, but storming out of the apartment was not an option, even here he had to step carefully.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Nickname: Ming, Zé
Birthday: 13/2
Sexuality: Bisexual
Ruìsāng Sū
IC Posts : 981

Ruìsāng SūBlessed by ????
Ruìsāng never really bothered with labels like right or wrong; he kind of figured he was on the wrong side of things from the start. Rotten, ruined, and convinced anything too good in his life would just get messed up by his touch. But he had his people, his reasons to fight, and for them, he’d go through hell or high water— willing to torch the earth but making sure they wouldn’t feel the heat.

Míngzé, visibly ticked off, challenged Ruìsāng, questioning if he saw him as someone who’d actually cause harm. Looking at his own hands, Ruìsāng thought, if only Míngzé knew how quickly hands could get bloody, and how that stain never really washes off. Míngzé’s talk of villains and blame got nothing but a scoff from Ruìsāng.

Jumping into deals without knowing the full story? I can’t tell if you’re that egotistical, or if you’re just genuinely stupid,” Ruìsāng shot back, trying to keep his frustration in check. Despite his warning, Míngzé walked away with that cursed item, blindly loyal to a deity whose intentions were anything but clear.

Vince. Viktor. Sim. Alastor,” Ruìsāng listed off. He knew Míngzé knew who Sim was from his shop visit, and he must've heard about Alastor. “If any of them gets caught in the crossfire of your recklessness, you won’t live to regret it,” he promised, his voice dropping lower— colder.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Nickname: Sāng
Birthday: 14 / 12
Occupation: Bartender & 4th year bachelor (hospitality management)
Sexuality: Gay
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????
HYPOCRITE OF DARKNESS

The artifact felt heavy in his hands, the emanating darkness more alive than before. It was a constant reminder of what he had lost and gained in all of this. There was no reason for him to leave it here with Sāng at this point. The fact remained that he did not want Sāng to carry this burden, not when he and Vince were forging a life together. It was not fair if they had to carry this with them. Now it was up to him to keep it safe and prevent things form escalating further. Not that Sāng trusted him with that task.

Sāng talked about it as if denying the opportunity for life was a simple matter. To Míngzé it was anything but simple. “What other choice did I have? Dying? Been there once and I had no intention of repeating it again so soon.” Death. It was a scary thought, one that chilled him to the bone. There was so much left to do, he wanted to live, to experience what it meant to truly live. He was not ready to give up on his life.

His hand was on the doorknob when Sāng spoke again, listing off the people he cared for. It left a bitter taste that Sāng believed him capable of doing anything that could harm others. “I promise they won’t. All I ask is that you trust me enough to believe that I speak the truth.” If that was even still possible. Without giving it a second thought, he opened the door ready to leave.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Yeah,” came Ruìsāng’s response, smooth and unnervingly calm. “I was given the choice, and I didn’t bite—not until I was assured of their safety,” he pointed out, marking a clear distinction between their decisions. It was the safeguard he’d secured for those dear to him that set his situation apart from Míngzé’s gamble, as well as doing it for another’s life— not his own.

I believe you wouldn’t intentionally put them in harm’s way,” Ruìsāng conceded, his tone softening with sincerity. “But you’ve entangled yourself in this mess without knowing what it means. You’ve unleashed something into our world with no clue of its capabilities. And you expect me to have faith that they’ll be safe from the fallout?” He couldn’t mask the scepticism.

It’s the bystanders who suffer, Míngzé. Make one wrong move, or let that artefact slip through your fingers, and it’s not just your soul at stake—it’s theirs. And their blood would still cling to your hands,” Ruìsāng warned.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????
HYPOCRITE OF DARKNESS

Míngzé narrowed his eyes slightly. It was so easy for Sāng, a fact that was admirable. To protect those he cared for at the risk of his own life. “Given your own deal, you shouldn’t have to worry then. Those you care about are already protected, are they not?” That was the only thing that mattered. That small list of people the other truly cared about. With this safeguard, they should be safe from harm.

To prevent others form overhearing their conversation he closed the door once more, yet his hand remained on the doorknob. “Be glad it is in the hands of someone you know. Anyone else could’ve found it and who knows what their intentions would’ve been.” While the temple had been well hidden, difficult to even reach. Yet, if he’d done it, it was not impossible.

Míngzé gritted his teeth and held his breath for a moment. He never wanted to cause harm to others and he did not plan to start now. “I won’t let that happen,” he said determinedly. His grip around the artifact tightened slightly, reminding him that it was still there. He would not let it fall into the wrong hands.

With a soft sigh he turned to face Sāng. “How about this,” he started with a hint of hesitation. “If I ever feel like things are taking a turn for the worse, I'll entrust it to you.”

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

That deal only counts for me,” Ruìsāng clarified. This stipulation placed them all in jeopardy, a concept Míngzé seemed to struggle with understanding. Ruìsāng believed if he alone bore the burden of this alliance, he could safeguard those close to him— and Míngzé had taken that from him.

If you were anyone else, I wouldn’t hesitate to take it from your hands, even if it meant taking your hands with it,” Ruìsāng stated, his voice steady yet sharp.

Míngzé's assurance that he wouldn’t allow harm to come to anyone left Ruìsāng sceptical, wishing he could share in that certainty. “If things are taking a turn for the worse, it’ll already be too late,” he countered, the frustration apparent. “Just go. And let’s hope I don’t end up regretting letting you walk away,” Ruìsāng concluded, running a hand through his hair.

Allowing Míngzé to leave with the artefact was a gamble, a testament to the trust—or perhaps the hope he was wrong—Ruìsāng was willing to extend his way, despite the risks involved.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????
HYPOCRITE OF DARKNESS

It was clear that his trust was not mutual. Míngzé’s fingers dug into the fabric of the little bundle. Already this thing was causing problems. It was exactly the reason why he rather kept him. There was no saying what else would happen and he meant what he said. He did not want to involve Vince and Sāng, they had their own lives to live. Even though this day ended badly, he was glad Sāng knew, because he deserved to know this. No matter how hard he would try, the other was already involved in enough ways.

His eyes narrowed slightly before shaking his head. “I won’t fight you for it.” Not only was it a lost battle, one he could not win, he did not think a physical fight was worth it. This was already bad enough. If Sāng really wanted to rip it out of his hands, he would have no trouble doing so.

Without saying goodbye, Míngzé opened the door and stepped outside. No matter what either party said, at this point it would not change a thing. The damage was already done. There was only one thing he could do and that was prove Sāng wrong. Míngzé closed the door behind him before leaving for his own apartment. He was tired and all he wanted to do was curl up on the bed and fall asleep. But there was something he had to do first, and that was hide the artifact somewhere safe.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Sponsored content