Guidebook
Memberlist
Accountswitch

Resonance

2 posters
Victor Schultz
IC Posts : 410
Victor Schultz

After what happened in the temple, Victor had taken some time to process everything he’d learned, seen and experienced, focusing on school and the ordinary day-to-day to at least let it seem like he had a firm grip on his life. He knew Archie would be there for him, but he didn’t want him to witness another meltdown like last week. Nothing had truly happened after all. He’d made it out alive, that was all that mattered, and now he had to find out what it all meant.

There was one person Victor had talked to about affinities before and so he’d called Mingze and asked him if it was alright for him to come over. Victor wasn’t sure yet what he wanted to share with the other, but he did know that their last conversation had helped him; and he was curious what Mingze had discovered on his own search.

Victor had recognised the address as soon as he’d received it. It was the same building where he’d dragged a severely hurt Sang to last year and where his friend still lived currently. Now, he stood in the familiar hallway on the bottom floor, but pressed another button, ringing the bell to Mingze’s apartment.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Nickname: Vic
Birthday: 25/12
Sexuality: Pansexual
Míngzé Xǔ
IC Posts : 1175

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????
HYPOCRITE OF DARKNESS
SHOWS ITS FACE, LIKE A NIGHTMARE, AGAIN, THIS REPETITIVE PATTERN

Having someone over at his place was not something that happened very often. There were only so many people he considered friends and recently that group had only become smaller. Right now he wanted to keep the amoun of visitors to a minimum. Mingze knew people were cqpqble of sensing the artifact, yet he was not sure if it was limited to those with a certain affinity.

However when Victor texted him with the question if he could come over, he had agreed to it. With a heavy heart Mingze waited. He was curious what the other had to say. The moment he heard the doorbell, he nearly jumped to his feet. "Victor?" Once the other confirmed it was him, Mingze told him to come upstairs.

The door was already open for when Victor would arrive. "Come on in. Do you want anything to drink?" The dark power radiating of the hidden artefact was always there. In his livingroom is was faint, but he could always feel it. By now, he had gotten used to it.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Nickname: Ming, Zé
Birthday: 13/2
Sexuality: Bisexual
Victor Schultz
Victor Schultz

Once he was let in, Victor went up the stairs and through the front door that was already open for him. “No, thank you,” he answered Mingze’s question whether he would like something to drink. Right now, he wanted to get to the reason for his visit as quickly as he could.

Going into the living room, Victor didn’t notice the faint darkness radiating of the artefact Mingze had hidden, and anything he did feel, he shook off as his imagination. After all, he was still on edge from what had happened in the temple so it probably was just his nerves. “It’s good to see you again,” Victor said with a smile, greeting Mingze. “Thank you for letting me come over.” His own place wasn’t really suitable to receive guests with how small it was.

“Did you find out anything about your affinity?” Victor got straight to the point. Last time he’d seen Mingze, the other had been looking for a way to get rid of it and Victor wanted to hear more about that before he did his own story.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????
HYPOCRITE OF DARKNESS

Míngzé gestured towards his couch. “Let’s sit, it’s easier to speak that way.” In his own home it was easy to navigate for him and he was nearly perfectly aware of where everything was. He sat down on his usual spot, one leg underneath him. There was a tension in the air, it told him that this was not just a cozy meeting between friends. But then what was it? Did he have an accident with his affinity? Hopefully that was not the case.

His worry only grew when Victor inquired about Mingzé’s own affinity. “I did,” he said with a nod. There was no reason to keep that part of information to himself. “Some person on the internet spoke about a kind of key they found near Opaline Beach. It cured them of their affinity.” He leaned back into his seat, trying to gain a relaxed posture in an attempt to hide his own nerves. “I gave it a shot, but sadly enough I did not find it,” Míngzé sighed. There had been something else. The artifact hidden in his apartment, that spoke to his very core.

“Did something happen with your affinity?” Míngzé asked with clear concern all over his face and in his voice.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Victor Schultz
Victor Schultz

After sitting down, Victor immediately asked the question he’d been wondering about ever since Mingze first told him about his goal. He still wasn’t sure what he wanted to tell the other about his own quest, so he wanted to find out more about Mingze’s search first.

Victor raised his eyebrows when Mingze answered positively. He’d found information on the internet about a key near Opaline Beach that had cured someone else of their affinity, but hadn’t been able to find anything himself. Nodding thoughtfully, Victor went over the new information in his head. “Did you find out what the key was?” he asked. The book he’d found in Xerneas’ temple had said that the artefact in the room held transformative powers and the first theory that had sparked in Victor’s mind was that maybe it could be used for what Mingze sought: the transformation of an affinity. What if this key this person had spoken of was the same thing Victor had almost lost his life to?

Asking Mingze about his affinity of course resulted in him getting the question back. “No,” he tried to reassure the other. “I even got some more control over it.” Victor smiled. He still wore his gloves to be sure, but he now knew that he didn’t have to fear the slightest touch.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????
HYPOCRITE OF DARKNESS

Míngzé shook his head without hesitation. Even after all he had been through that day, he still was unaware what that person had been talking about. “No clue, for all I know they were lying and there is no such thing.” Although, he discovered new information. Information that might help him solve this problem, but who knows what risks it entailed. For now, he rather kept it hidden and out of someone else's hands. “At least for now I’m still stuck with an affinity, but I won’t give up,” Míngzé said determinedly. The fact that it was no longer the same one, he kept to himself.

When Victor told him things had gone better for him, Míngzé visibly relaxed. “Good, that’s really good to hear.” There was this complicated feeling, which he could only describe as jealousy. The other was doing what he never could. Míngzé tried to shake that feeling, push it far away as he cleared his throat. “What was it you wanted to talk about? It seemed serious.” If it had nothing to do with his newfound affinity, then what was it? Troubles at school perhaps? Something with his family?

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Victor Schultz
Victor Schultz

Despite Mingze's efforts, the true nature of the key remained a mystery. Victor nodded in thought when the other said that even though he was still stuck with his affinity, he wouldn’t be held back from finding a way. Internally Victor couldn’t help but feel a pang of concern at those words. If Mingze’s search led him anywhere near what Victor had uncovered… Victor didn’t want his friend’s determination to lead to his death.

Victor smiled when Mingze told him it was good to hear that he now had better control over his affinity. If someone had told Victor about his progress with his affinity a month ago, he wouldn’t have believed them, but through the trust others had in him he’d let them help him. He was eternally grateful for Archie’s kindness and Sang’s willingness to break his resolve until he was annoyed into letting the other touch his arm.

The downside of getting to business as soon as he’d gotten here was that Mingze also wanted answers. While Victor didn’t want to tell the other everything, he was sure of one thing: “I want to warn you.” The artefact he’d encountered was dangerous and he was scared of what Mingze might come across if he further sought to find a way to remove his affinity. “I tried to learn more about my affinity like I told you I would, but it only led to danger, to darkness.” He paused for a moment, letting the meaning of his words sink in. “It would’ve killed me if I hadn’t gotten out,” he finished with to put weight behind his warning. He wasn’t going to tell Mingze about the artefact, afraid the other might disregard his words and be tempted to go look for it himself, but he could share the peril of his journey.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????
HYPOCRITE OF DARKNESS

With a deep frown he gazed towards Victor. It was almost as if time came to a standstill for a moment. One single word was enough to catch his full attention. Darkness. But it could not be. What were the chances that Victor too had stumbled upon these things? Míngzé already knew there was more than one piece, but if he was right about this, it meant another one might’ve been found. He drew a deep breath as he tried to find the right words.

“What do you mean by darkness?” he decided to start with. With what little information he had now, he could not be sure that Victor was talking about the same thing. It was almost as if he could feel the artifact calling to him, the darkness clearer now he was focussing on it. Resonating with his new affinity. Míngzé shifted in his seat, placing his other leg underneath him as he held onto his knee. “And gotten out of where? What happened?” He hoped it would not raise any suspicion, but if it did he could say he was simply worried for his friend. Which he was. Instantly he was very aware of the wound on his stomach. He too had faced death.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Victor Schultz
Victor Schultz

Had he said too much? Victor tried to analyse Mingze’s reaction; when the other finally spoke, Victor decided it was simply concern he’d seen. He’d be worried as well if someone told him they had almost been killed by darkness. “It—” Victor stopped. Thinking back on the experience was still difficult and he had to focus on his breathing to get the words out. “It was similar to the poison that gave me my affinity: it wanted to take hold of me, control me, but not just that—” A shiver ran down his spine. There was one way in which the darkness had been different from the poison. The poison had given him an option: accept it or die. “It wanted to extinguish all the light in me.” The darkness had wanted him dead; he could only tell the tale because he’d found a hidden way out at the last moment.

Victor doubted whether to answer the second question. If he told Mingze where he’d been, the man could easily go there if he desired to and Victor wanted to prevent that at all costs. On the other hand, Mingze already knew that he was going to Xerneas’ tree from their last conversation so even if he didn’t say anything the man could probably peace at least that together himself. “It was near Xerneas’ tree,” Victor went with, leaving out that he’d gone into the temple. “I was looking for information on affinities when the shadows in the room started to grow. I could barely move or think. I—It’s dangerous. I know you’re looking into affinities as well so I wanted to warn you. It was pure luck that I survived. If you come across the same thing… it won’t let you escape.” He wished he could tell Mingze all about the artefact, but he was scared that the other would think it was the crucial piece in his search to get rid of his affinity and would go after it, and so Victor withheld that information.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????
HYPOCRITE OF DARKNESS

Míngzé listened carefully to the story, his expression darkening as he listened. For a moment he believed that maybe this was something else entirely. It was different from what he experienced, but his surroundings had tried to kill him instead. Was it a mechanism to secure the artifacts that were hidden? Lucina too spoke about risking her life. “That insane,” Míngzé breathed. He had his hands folded in his lap, one of them turned into a fist. No, it could not be that he too had found a piece.

His nails dug into his skin the more Victor told him. A location was given, Xerneas tree because where else would it be. “Is it not weird, to find that kind of darkness in a place that is supposed to be good?” A dangerous place even, near a place that people worshiped. Míngzé had a deep frown on his face as he thought about it some more. It was already too late for Victor’s warning, but that was something he kept to himself for now. “I’ll remember, thanks for the warning,” he said as he brought a smile to his face. It had let him escape, but at a price. One he believed Victor did not pay.

“Did you find anything? Even a little bit of information that might help? Anything?” Curiously he gazed towards the other, leaning forward ever so slightly.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Victor Schultz
Victor Schultz

Insane was a good way to describe it. Sometimes it felt like he was going crazy when, from the corner of his eye, a shadow seemed to move and come closer, only for him to realise he’d imagined it.

Mingze asked the question that had occupied Victor’s mind as well. “It is,” he agreed. “I think it’s to keep it locked up and keep it safe from people.” That still didn’t completely make sense, but maybe this theory would drive home how dangerous the artefact was.

Once Mingze thanked him for the warning, Victor smiled softly. “No problem, I just didn’t want you to stumble upon the same thing.” He’d gotten out, but someone else could come across the artefact and end up not being so lucky.

Victor shook his head. “No, I didn’t find anything that could help.” He was technically telling the truth. While he’d found the artefact and information on it, he hadn’t found anything good or helpful. Even if the artefact could get rid of affinities, it wasn’t worth it. It was too dangerous.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????
HYPOCRITE OF DARKNESS

Already Míngzé’s mind was trying to connect the dots that might very well not even be there. He had come to the conclusion that this was connected to the artifact he already had, which made him blind to any other options.

Brows creased in concentration as he sat there, listening to Victor. It only grew deeper. Míngzé looked up, his golden eyes resting on the other with a certain intensity. He stayed quiet as the other continued speaking. Parts of the spoken word flew over his head.

I didn’t find anything—

No, that was not right. “Are you sure there was nothing? Nothing at all? Surely that darkness must come from somewhere.” He did not notice how his voice might be a bit too eager. The mere notion that another aspect of this entire scheme had been uncovered captured his full attention. It shouldn’t, but it did. It was almost as if the pull towards the one he already had grew stronger the more they talked.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Victor Schultz
Victor Schultz

It wasn’t easy for him to lie. He wanted to help Mingze, but the artefact and the darkness that had surrounded it were just too dangerous. Even if it could get rid of an affinity, Victor couldn’t imagine the prize would be worth it.

Mingze’s sudden eagerness made Victor’s eyebrows scrunch together while he moved a few centimetres back. “Yes I’m sure,” Victor spoke up, observing Mingze’s reaction. He was lying, but there was no way the other could know that.“Why are you so invested in this?” he asked Mingze. “There was nothing. Where would it have come from?” The question was to see why Mingze was so eager to know as, for so far the other was aware, the darkness had come out of nowhere. Victor didn’t understand why the other was so sure it must have come from somewhere. He hadn’t said anything that would indicate the presence of the artefact, right?

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????
HYPOCRITE OF DARKNESS

There was nothing. The crease between his brow deepened as Míngzé leaned back in his seat, crossing his arms. Was it something else entirely? Surely not. Maybe Victor never came close enough. He said he had been driven out by this darkness that would’ve killed him otherwise. It would not be half surprising if he had missed anything.

“I don’t know, something,” he answered while shrugging. Míngzé did know, but he did not want to lay all his cards bare. Victor might’ve stumbled upon something of interest, but that did not mean Míngzé would tell him everyone. The fewer people who knew about it, the better.

“It’s difficult to imagine only darkness being there. Where does it come from? What is it?” Míngzé tried to explain his reasoning. “You said it is dangerous, but if it can help me in any way—” He looked up at Victor, trying to make eye contact.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Victor Schultz
Victor Schultz

The answer Mingze gave didn’t do anything to set Victor back at ease. It was true that it was likely the darkness had come from somewhere, but the other’s eagerness to know where from still disturbed him. “If only I knew what it was,” Victor sighed. He had his theories, but he couldn’t be a hundred percent sure.

“No,” Victor let out, his voice slightly raised. “I came here to warn you, to stop you from stumbling into what I barely escaped from and now you say you might seek it out yourself?” He couldn’t believe Mingze would be willing to risk his own life like that. “It’s dangerous. You can’t go anywhere near it. It won’t help you.” It had wanted his life from him, who knew what it would ask from Mingze in return for the answers he sought?

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????
HYPOCRITE OF DARKNESS

There had to be something there. While he could not be certain it was another piece of the artifact, something must radiate that darkness Victor spoke about. If Victor had come close, that meant more people could and what if anyone was able to take it with them? He preferred to keep it out of people’s hands as he still had no idea what it could do.

Míngzé clenched his jaw as Victor raised his voice. It was clear the other was truly concerned, which made sense if what he’d been through came even remotely close to his own experiences. He would probably do the same.

A silence washed over them as Míngzé stayed quiet. What was he thinking? One piece was already safely in his possession, even if anyone found it, they had to get their hands on that one too. Not forgetting that Sāng also kept one safe. “Perhaps you’re right,” he managed to say with a sigh. It was not that he wanted to risk his life again if he did not have to. With a bit of luck it was too dangerous, enough to keep other people away from it too. For now it was enough that he knew about this.

“Have you told anyone else about this?”

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Victor Schultz
Victor Schultz

Victor let out a sigh of relief when Mingze said that perhaps he was right. “I am.” Nothing was worth seeking out that darkness. All it wanted was to kill. Even if it could offer what either of them was searching for, it would ask something impossible in return.

When Mingze asked him if he’d told anyone else about this Victor shook his head, only to realise he had. “Only Archie,” he answered, thinking back on how Archie’d rushed to him, sword ready to fight anything he was facing, when he’d needed him. “But he won’t come anywhere near it.” If anything, Archie was more likely to keep people away from the artefact if he needed to.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????
HYPOCRITE OF DARKNESS

There it was again; it. Golden eyes stared at Victor, slightly narrowing as he repeated the words. Was it simply because he knew about the existence of the artefacts that he was making connections? Or was Victor still speaking about the darkness itself? He couldn’t be sure. If Victor was talking about an object, he would not tell him. That much was clear.

“Victor, can I trust you?” The tone of his voice was lower and the way he looked at the other would almost make one believe he could see. The atmosphere in the room became more serious than it already was.

Was he making a mistake? Perhaps. Only time would tell. For now Míngzé awaited Victor’s response. That would determine what he would say next.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Victor Schultz
Victor Schultz

“Can I trust you?”

The simple words made Victor look at Mingze intently, studying his expression. Someone didn’t ask that for no reason. There was clearly something Mingze hadn’t been telling him that he was now gauging whether or not to share with him. It was giving Victor the feeling that Mingze had discovered more than he’d been letting on in his search to get rid of his affinity.

“Of course,” Victor answered. Whatever it was the other wanted to share with him, he could trust him.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????
HYPOCRITE OF DARKNESS

Míngzé glared in Victor’s direction. The question he asked was one which yielded only one right answer, the only one anyone could and would give when it arose. A deep hum sounded as Míngzé leaned back in his seat, crossing his arms over his chest.

Trust was such a fragile thing. One wrong action and it could break beyond repair. Something he feared he had endured quite a few times already. Victor told him he could, but what good did words do?

“I have reason to believe there was more in that temple than meets the eye. Presumably well hidden to keep it out of unwanted hands.” Míngzé was careful with what he revealed, often too careful resulting in him keeping everything to himself, not sharing anything ever. “A friend of mine has gone through a similar experience. She too was sent somewhere by the Fortune teller, only to nearly lose her life in the process,” he explained calmly.  

Was it simply coincidence, or was there more at play here?

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Sponsored content