Memberlist
Accountswitch

Ain't a fairytale

2 posters
Míngzé Xǔ
IC Posts : 856

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ???
It isn't in my blood
I'm relentless I don't quit. Won't forget this and my pain. Is what got me right here

Xerneas’s Tree.

It was right there in front of him. No doubt flowers decorated the ground at its roots, placed there by people who worshiped it. He remembered placing flowers there too, when he was a child. What a fool he’d been.

Even now Míngzé was not the only one here. People came and went all day. The reason he was here was far different from those of everyone else. Did any of those people even have an idea what might be lurking very closely? Probably not.

Someone came close to him, their silhouette was vaguely visible to him. Míngzé reached out, not touching them but trying grab their attention. “Excuse me?” He brought a smile to his lips as he turned to face them. All he could hope for was that they would not keep walking.

“Could you perhaps describe the tree for me?” While he stood there, he let his cane rest against his shoulder, keeping it close to him.

Shaelyn

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Nickname: Ming, Zé
Birthday: 13/2
Sexuality: Bisexual
Shaelyn O'Dubhshláine
IC Posts : 343

Shaelyn O'Dubhshláine
Shaelyn had always detested the sensation of cloth against her neck, preferring garments made from light materials that allowed her freedom of movement. This time, however, she wore a semi-high collar that concealed her neck. She wanted to avoid any speculative glances that might hint at her… more personal activities.

The collar was suffocating, and she felt an urge to tear it away.

As Shaelyn circled the tree, a man reached out, stopping her in her tracks. She paused and observed him, noting that his gaze seemed directed toward her but not focusing on anything specific. The presence of a cane soon clarified.

After he posed his question, she glanced up at the tree that had been the focus of many prayers. "Of course," she responded with a gentle smile. "It... doesn’t look all that special," she chuckled, acknowledging the tree's ordinary appearance.

"Have you ever been able to see?" she inquired further. Depending on his answer, she would know whether to compare it to sights he might remember or describe it anew for someone who had never seen.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Nickname: shae
Birthday: 12 / 08
Sexuality: bisexual
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ???
It isn't in my blood
I'm relentless I don't quit. Won't forget this and my pain. Is what got me right here

The person he tried to reach stopped as he reached out. Míngzé dropped his shoulders a bit as he relaxed. It would not be the first time someone would walk away. The internet could also tell him what he needed to know, but it was always different in person. Everyone might describe Xerneas Tree differently.

Míngzé raised an eyebrow at the information he gained form the person. A woman with a bright and kind voice. “Ah.” Nothing special. He turned his head towards the large towering tree. Nothing special. A normal tree of which they had only stories that told them about how it came to be. There was a soft crease between his brows. It might very well be an ordinary tree then.

No matter that he was none the wiser, he would’ve kept it at that if not for her further question. “Yes?” There was an uncertainty to his voice as he spoke. “Back when I was younger, though it was never good.” Details have always been lost to him. Stars, freckles, textures, individual leafs on a tree— he had never been able to see any of those.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Shaelyn O'Dubhshláine

Shaelyn O'Dubhshláine
The man shared that he had been able to see in his younger years, though his vision had never been particularly strong. Shaelyn hummed softly in response, her gaze drifting back to the tree that had been the confidant of many of her secrets.

It’s a big tree, but not bigger than the ones in the forest,” she began, trying to find words that could paint a picture for him. “It’s a bit hard to explain… Ah! I think I might have a way of showing you, if you’ll allow me?” she offered, her voice carrying a hint of excitement about sharing this experience in a new way.

If he had not been blind his entire life, she considered describing it in terms he might recall—comparing its branches to the upward-swept antlers of Xerneas. But if his memory of sight was too vague, she could paint him a proper picture.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ???
It isn't in my blood

All the tree did was cast a shadow as it blocked the sun. In a way it was hard to imagine it being more than what it was; a tree. Míngzé quirked a brow. A large one at that, but no bigger than those found in the forest. Could something this normal really hold any kind of power? A thoughtful hum echoed in his throat.

Asking someone to explain what a tree looked like might not sound like a difficult task, until you had to tell someone who could not envision it properly. “It’s fine, I appr—” Míngzé started with a wave of his hand. He wanted to tell her how he appreciated the effort, that he would be on his way now, but she had come up with a plan.

His brow creased as he turned his head towards her. For only a fleeting moment, he hesitated, but the feeling was gone as quickly as it came. Her enthusiasm helped make him feel more at ease. “Only if it is not too much trouble,” Míngzé said, giving her a calm smile. Then he waited, wondering what idea popped up in her head that might help him.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Shaelyn O'Dubhshláine

Shaelyn O'Dubhshláine
The man seemed to hesitate at first, clearly not wanting to impose, but eventually agreed—only if it wasn't too much trouble, of course. Shaelyn often pondered this aspect of human nature; people's reluctance to be a burden often hindered their willingness to ask for or offer help. She considered this a significant flaw in mankind's social fabric—if only people were less afraid to impose, perhaps they'd be more forthcoming in assisting others in need.

With a warm smile and a light chuckle, Shaelyn reassured him, “It’s nothing much. I cannot make you see it, but perhaps I can help you envision it,” she offered kindly. “Please, follow me,” she invited, pausing briefly to consider his needs.

Is it easier for you if I hold onto your arm, maybe? Or would you prefer to walk by yourself?

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ???
It isn't in my blood

It was often best not to think too much about all the things he missed out on, or in this case what he had forgotten. Míngzé liked to think his mental vision of a tree was what it really looked like, but he could not be certain. Many details were missing that it might as well be the drawing of a child. “It’s alright, you're trying, which is all that matters,” he said honestly, followed by a nod.

They were going somewhere. An idea of what her plan might be popped up in his head, one he was not quite sure about. A bit stiffly he shook his head, keeping a small smile on his lips. “Not really, no.” If people held on to him, it felt more like they were dragging him around. In a way it helped a bit, but it was not optimal. “If you let me hold onto you, that would help, makes it easier to follow,” Míngzé explained to her.

Míngzé held out his hand around what he assumed was elbow height. Holding her there would give him the most information and at the same time make sure the distance between the two was limited.

“How exactly are you planning on showing me?” He had to ask, to know if his assumptions were correct. His voice only betrayed a hint of uncertainty.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Shaelyn O'Dubhshláine

Shaelyn O'Dubhshláine
The man acknowledged Shaelyn's efforts, which brought a warm smile to her face. “Everyone is worth a bit of effort, don’t you think?” she responded, her tone calm and reflective. She believed wholeheartedly in the value of helping others, a gesture that often inspired the same goodwill in return, potentially improving the world one act at a time.

When Shaelyn offered her assistance in navigating, the man suggested it would be better if he held onto her arm instead. “Alright, no problem,” she agreed amiably, adjusting her arm to accommodate him.

The man inquired about her methods. Shaelyn, with a playful edge to her voice, replied, “That would ruin the surprise, wouldn’t it?” Her smile broadened as she added, “I’m going to paint you a picture,” hinting at something more creative than just a verbal description.

Leading him to a newer, open part of the temple, Shaelyn called over to one of the familiar temple staff. “Could I get a wooden plank, please? As perfectly flat as possible,” she requested gently. The plank was promptly delivered, and she guided them both to one of the benches outside. “Please, sit,” she invited the man, taking a seat herself.

So give me a little moment, alright?” she said, setting the stage for what was to come. She then placed her finger on the wood and, with a gentle touch, began using her fire affinity to burn intricate lines into the plank, effectively using her unique skill to 'draw' a tactile image that could be felt rather than seen.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ???
It isn't in my blood

As they walked Míngzé couldn’t shake the feeling that he should not be here, but fleeing now was no option. He already accepted her offer and it seemed she had a whole different plan than he had imagined. “Sadly enough, not everyone shares that same idea.” Too often people did not even consider helping. Fortunately, that's not the case for the majority of individuals.

He huffed in amusement as she was not willing to ruin ‘the surprise’. “Where would be the fun in that,” he played along, although the small falter in his smile betrayed something else. Míngzé often found that he did not like surprises that much.

Placing his trust in her for the moment, Míngzé followed her using her to know where to go and his cane to scan the ground. He turned his head to look at her when she asked someone else to get her a wooden plank. A question burned on the tip of his tongue, but he swallowed it. It would ruin the surprise. “Already not what I was expecting,” he informed her when they were moving again. By now he had no idea what plan she’d come up with.

Once they sat down, she asked him for a moment, causing him to raise an eyebrow. “Sure,” he said, his voice betraying his growing curiosity. Then he waited, half expecting the smell of actual paint to fill the air, but that never came. Instead there was something else. It was the faint smell of something burning, almost like a small campfire. What was she doing?

“Is there something burning?” Or were his senses betraying him? Míngzé couldn’t help but look over his shoulder for a moment, only to discover that the smell indeed came from right next to him. It must be the wooden plank, there was no other option. “Are you—” Míngzé did not finish the sentence, as he had no idea what he actually wanted to ask. What was she doing to that wooden plank?

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Shaelyn O'Dubhshláine

Shaelyn O'Dubhshláine
With the wooden plank resting comfortably on her lap, Shaelyn set about creating a tactile representation of the tree. Utilising fire, she used her nail and finger to delicately burn the outline into the wood. She was no professional artist, yet her skill was sufficient for something straightforward and perceptible. It was akin to finger painting, only with fire, as she carefully controlled each touch to etch and deepen the wood, ensuring the shapes would be discernible by touch.

As she worked, the man seemed to catch a whiff of something burning and began to voice a concern. “Don’t worry,” Shaelyn reassured him quickly, hoping to ease any unease as she continued her task. She meticulously shaped the branches to roughly match their real counterparts, and the leaves began precisely where they should. For a touch of perspective, she added a small figure in front of the tree—a representation of him.

Once satisfied with the fiery sketch, Shaelyn gently blew across the surface of the plank several times to cool any residual heat, ensuring it would be safe to handle. With a warm smile, she offered, “May I help you? I’ll just take your hand,” her voice gentle and inviting.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ???
It isn't in my blood

No explanation to the burning smell followed, only a reassurance not to worry. A thoughtful hum escaped, but he kept his lips in a thin line. There was something about her that radiated warmth and trust, making it easier to feel the truth behind those words. His slight worry ebbed away, but did not fully disappear. Fire held a special place among his fears. There was no raging inferno around them, only the smell which reminded him of the bonfire.

Míngzé listened to her words and tried not to worry as she worked on her peculiar painting. He had folded his cane which now rested on his lap. His hands were folded and he absent mindedly stroked the rougher texture of his left hand.

When she spoke up again, Míngzé sat up right some more. “Is it done?” At her request, he extended his hand to her. Against his skin, which always felt a bit too cold, hers felt remarkably warm, yet not uncomfortable. His fingers twitched momentarily before he attempted to relax them once more. It was odd, but he did not want to jump to conclusions immediately. Instead he allowed her to help once more.

“How did you do it?” Míngzé wondered. Did she have a burning hot tool on her person at all times, or was it something else. His unfocused gaze rested on their hands.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Shaelyn O'Dubhshláine

Shaelyn O'Dubhshláine
Shaelyn had always been known for her warmth, a trait that seemed inherent to her very being, long before her affinity for fire had fully manifested. She had once considered that perhaps her true affinity lay in the realm of Psychic, given its association with insight and understanding. However, over time, she began to see that perhaps fire was her destined element—a gentle, inviting warmth that was always meant to guide and comfort those around her.

However, the sensation was markedly different when she touched his hands. Instead of the usual comforting warmth, she felt a disconcerting coldness, causing her brow to furrow in concern. The moment their hands connected, it felt as though the warmth within her recoiled, as if afraid that something within him might extinguish it entirely.

Despite this, Shaelyn held his hands with a gentle firmness, guiding one to the small figure she had etched into the wood. “Fire,” she explained simply when he inquired about her method.

This is you,” she added with a soft smile, hoping to make the abstract more personal. “Now, I am no artist, but feel it beneath your fingers. This is the tree,” she continued, moving his other hand to the textured lines representing the tree. Once she was sure he could feel the details under his fingertips, she slowly released his hands, leaning back to give him a moment to explore the tactile drawing independently.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ???
It isn't in my blood

Her explanation was a simple one and told him enough. Fire did not magically appear, not unless one criteria was met. It was something he often did not give much thought, perhaps because he could not see the world around him. How many people used their affinities daily for the most mundane tasks? He would never, but that did not mean others never did.

An uncomfortable feeling settled in as she guided his hand over the wooden board and the engravings in it. It was difficult to concentrate on what was right below his fingers. Conflicting thoughts raced through his mind, reminding him of his current goal. Soon this would not be possible anymore if he fulfilled it.

“Right,” Míngzé said absent minded. A deep breath followed, filling his lungs in an attempt to clear his head. She moved his hand to the tree burned into the wood. It was truly remarkable if he let go of everything else for a moment.

The absence of warmth was the first that hit him the moment she let go. The plank ended up on his lap. Now using both his hands, he traced the tree with a light touch that still showed hesitation. It painted him a picture no mere words could never hope to convey. “This is beautifully done,” he remarked as his hands now found the small figure that represented him. Minzge couldn’t help but feel it shouldn’t be there, like he was not supposed to be here either.

That something this good could be created by something so inherently wrong. No wonder people were often blind to it.

“Thank you.” No matter what, she’d gone through more trouble than necessary. “You were lucky they had exactly what you needed.” Míngzé tried to bring a smile to his lips. A flat wooden plank was not something you could find just anywhere. "And that you had fire at your disposal."

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Shaelyn O'Dubhshláine

Shaelyn O'Dubhshláine
As the man traced the lines Shaelyn had burned into the wood, his reaction was more subdued than she had hoped for. He thanked her, but his following remarks left her slightly puzzled. He mentioned how fortunate it was that the temple had exactly what she needed and made an offhand comment about her having fire at her disposal, which Shaelyn found oddly phrased. The tone felt less like gratitude and more like a critique of her methods, which was not the response she expected.

Shaelyn tilted her head, clarifying her role and her actions with a gentle patience. “I am a volunteer at the temple. I help out people and groups of children when we host events for them,” she stated, wanting to make clear the context of her resources and her familiarity with the temple's operations. “So I know where we keep some stuff, and what stuff is kept for those events. It is not a coincidence,” she continued, emphasising that her use of the wooden planks was part of her regular activities at the temple, not a special or unusual request.

Besides, I always have fire at my disposal. That’s the beauty of an affinity, isn’t it?

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ???
It isn't in my blood

It all made sense now. She was familiar with the surroundings because she helped around here. A heavy pressure settled on his shoulders at this realization. Míngzé’d never liked those that dedicated at least a part of their lives to worshiping some God. Their vision was always clouded, unable to see past their beliefs. Perhaps she was not as bad as those people, but it was sufficient for him to form an impression.

“That makes more sense than sheer luck. Perhaps I was the lucky one to have found you.” With his thumb he stroked over the rough edges. He shot her a small smile. Míngzé could envision her guiding groups, helping them where needed and making them feel good. If you asked him, he'd say she had a natural talent this.

There it was, the confirmation he needed. His nails scratched lightly over the wooden surface as his hand turned to a fist. “Yes, the beauty,” Míngzé repeated, voice strained lacking any sincerity, not even aware of the tone. He looked down at the artwork. It was always there, around them and in them, tainting the body. There was a lump in his throat he swallowed as soon as it apparead.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Shaelyn O'Dubhshláine

Shaelyn O'Dubhshláine
Shaelyn had always seen affinities as a profound embodiment of beauty, life, and the natural world—a belief deeply ingrained in her philosophy. She had numerous reasons to hold such a view, but she never felt compelled to impose this perspective on others. Her faith was a personal journey toward inner balance, not a doctrine to be evangelised.

However, the man’s evident distaste for affinities surfaced starkly as he echoed her earlier comment, his voice devoid of any genuine agreement or warmth. Shaelyn noticed this shift in tone and responded with a subtle raise of her eyebrows and a gentle smile.

Don’t you agree?” she posed the question softly, maintaining her composure and openness. She made no immediate judgments nor pressed him further; instead, she invited him to elaborate on his feelings.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ???
It isn't in my blood

Looking back on it he could’ve been more subtle. Perhaps only a nod, then telling him he had to go. Some things he had to take care of before the day was over. Or fake his enthusiasm. All of that was too late, he could not turn back time. His disdain had crept into his voice, impossible to conceal. Míngzé clenched his jaw as the realization hit him.

To his surprise her demeanor did not change at all. One corner of his mouth twitched in a short smile. “That obvious, eh?” Míngzé turned his head towards her. He let her question sink in, trying to come up with the right words.

“I don’t trust them,” he simply stated with a shake of his head. “They are dangerous powers people never should’ve tampered with. What do we really know about them anyway?” People may think they were in control, but all this time, Míngzé had never once experienced the same. It had always been as if the affinity had been controlling him. Just as he’d seen it control others too.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Shaelyn O'Dubhshláine

Shaelyn O'Dubhshláine
He questioned whether his scepticism was evident, and Shaelyn responded with a soft smile, humming in affirmation. As he expressed his distrust for affinities, describing them as dangerous powers that should never have been meddled with, Shaelyn exhaled gently, considering her words carefully.

When he posed a question about understanding regarding affinities, she tapped her fingers thoughtfully against the bench.

How much do we truly understand about anything?” she replied calmly. Humankind often prided itself on its intelligence, yet the universe continuously presented more questions than answers.

It’s natural to fear what we don’t understand. But it’s incorrect to say that affinities are something we ‘tampered with’. Consider Pokémon and their types—aren’t they inherent to them? We’ve learned to coexist safely with these natural forces, haven’t we?

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ???
It isn't in my blood

This was not a discussion he often had with people, rather one he tried to avoid. Míngzé knew how they looked at him when he told them. They did not see what he saw. They thought it was stupid that he was afraid of them. The recent festival was proof of just that. A whole festival dedicated to affinities. It only encouraged people to seek them out.

There was so much more about the affinities that scared him than simply the mystery surrounding it, but Míngzé bit his tongue, swallowed his words. He would not lay personal experiences bare.

The woman compared their affinities to pokémon, as they also shared those powers but on a greater level. “We can’t compare pokémon to what lives inside us. They are born with it, they have no need to go through what people call an awakening and all that follows.” A shiver ran down his spine by the memories connected to this.

“They don’t change us the way an affinity does.” After that day on the beach, he’d never felt the same anymore. Even now with a new one eating away at him. Yes, he was no longer tormented and had found a certain peace, but it might well be a trick.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Shaelyn O'Dubhshláine

Shaelyn O'Dubhshláine
Shaelyn listened as the man articulated his views, firmly seeing affinities as a new and dangerous addition to the human realm, distinct from Pokémon because, in his opinion, people weren’t inherently born with them. Shaelyn, knowing otherwise, raised an eyebrow, ready to clarify the misconception.

Do Pokémon not change their types during evolution?” she questioned, pointing out that many Pokémon gain new types or change their existing ones upon evolving.

You are comparing a different sort of evolution. Look back in time, and you’ll find there was a time where each species only had a single type. Secondary types only came later,” she explained with a patient smile, drawing a parallel to how human affinities might evolve and manifest over time.

Besides, people are born with affinities. While it is uncommon, it is not unheard of,” she continued, reinforcing the idea that affinities, like Pokémon types, could be inherent from birth, making them not so different after all.

Affinities have always been a part of us, of the world, to begin with. They’re the energy that makes the world grow. The balance in life itself. Do you not think it a coincidence these affinities awakened inside of us when the Goddess of Life expended her energy into the earth?” she offered, her tone gentle yet persuasive. Her argument framed affinities not as a threat, but as a natural and integral extension of the life force itself.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Sponsored content