Guidebook
Memberlist
Accountswitch

We're on the borderline

2 posters
Kaye Mercer
IC Posts : 201

Kaye Mercer
The entire morning and evening after Djodie had left, had been a trainwreck. Kaye solely operated on three hours of sleep, self loathing and guilt. Every fool who so much as breathed wrong in her direction got chewed out mercilessly. A particularly draining meeting, which was supposed to last only one hour tops for all intents and purposes, eventually took three hours. Mind wandering constantly until she absolutely could no longer stand the incessant whining of the men in the room. They cooperated a lot better after that.

It was somewhere after twelve when Kaye made a brief appearance in the warehouse at the edge of the city where she had a run down office space which was used to conduct direct business with the members of the Syndicate. It was nowhere near as fancy as Kavya’s office in The Golden Eye, but it served it’s purpose well. Unfortunately, every member who wanted to meet with her that day received her wrath. When Chez very carefully tried to defuse one particular volatile situation with a new recruit, he ended up receiving a “Shut your fucking mouth or I’ll shut it for you” and decided the new recruit was on his own.

Around six she left the warehouse and went straight to the nearest gym where she dedicated three hours to one of the hardest workout sessions she had in years. Her entire body was sore by the time she returned to her apartment. Kaye took a long, scalding hot shower to not only soothe her nerves, but also the cold anxiety that had mastered her when she had stepped through the door and saw the covers on her bed in the same state they were left when Djodie had left.

Eventually, Kaye stepped out of the cab and looked up at the majestic front of the Lunar Lounge. It was a spot she very rarely visited, usually preferring to hang out at the Golden Eye, but she absolutely did not want to return back there tonight. She wanted someplace where no one recognized her, where she could drink her sorrows away and be left in peace. How unfortunate it was that when Kaye took a seat at the bar, her eyes settled on just the one person she quite frankly hoped never to run into again. “You-” Kaye began, but felt her anger deflate instantly, too exhausted, but glad she had decided to wear her black shirt and gray tie so the hickey in her neck was covered. “Scotch.” Kaye sighted, defeated.

Sang x

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Nickname: K, Mercer
Birthday: 25 February 1994
Sexuality: Lesbian
Ruìsāng Sū
IC Posts : 981

Ruìsāng SūBlessed by ????
The unexpected arrival of Kaye at the Lunar Lounge sent a jolt through Ruìsāng, his eye twitching involuntarily as he turned, a visceral urge to abandon his bartending duties surging through him.

The memories of their last encounter hung heavily in the air, an unspoken tension that he couldn’t shake off. He harboured no ill will towards her for the anger she had shown then; yet, he did blame her for the circumstances that led to it. It was her Garchomp, after all, that had nearly ended his Mawile. Though he sympathised with her loss, the survival of his Mawile left no room for regret.

Trapped in his role, Ruìsāng remained rooted, his demeanour an icy calm as he noted the flicker of annoyance crossing Kaye’s features upon seeing him. This reaction swiftly ebbed away, replaced by a subdued air as she ordered a scotch. He hummed, a thoughtful, almost meditative sound, as he deliberately took his time preparing her drink, hindered slightly by his injured hand.

I’d ask what brings you here,” Ruìsāng remarked with a measured tone, gracefully pouring the scotch over a clinking tower of ice before sliding the glass across the bar towards her, “But I am not sure if I’d like the answer.

There was a part of him that wanted to believe her presence was coincidental, but the echo of her last message lingered in his mind, suggesting otherwise. Still, he harboured a quiet hope that his suspicions were unfounded.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Nickname: Sāng
Birthday: 14 / 12
Occupation: Bartender & 4th year bachelor (hospitality management)
Sexuality: Gay
Kaye Mercer

Kaye Mercer
Ruìsāng still poured her drink despite the look that Kaye received from her former fighting partner. Good, because if he was about to sass her out, she would really start swinging. She had anger issues, after all. As he was preparing her drink she kept her gaze focused at a spot on the all across from her, mind racing and replaying the events from the evening and night before. Feeling Djodie on her tongue, hearing her in her ears-

The scotch glass was placed down as Ruìsāng’s words cut through her thoughts. She took her time to turn the glass in her hand, studying how the alcohol flowed through and between the chunks of ice that made clinking noises against the glass. After about a minute, she took a sip- and then emptied the entire glass in one gulp, feeling the searing hot sensation of the liquor burning past her gullet. She set the glass down with a hard thud and made the general hand motion for ‘fill it up’.

“What can I say? The usual stuff people come sit down at your bar for.” Was her answer to his question. She was 200% sure he really did not want to know the answer. Nor cared to. “Be a good host and pretend you care about my problems when I unload them on you. I might tip you for it later.” Kaye said, though it lacked the usual amusing tone and instead sounded like she already regretted setting foot in here.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

The glass thudded onto the counter with more force than necessary, the sound reverberating slightly. Ruìsāng couldn't help but feel a flicker of gratitude for their choice of sturdy glassware during the renovation; otherwise, she might have been nursing glass-studded palms by now. With practised ease and a hint of unspoken inquiry in his arched eyebrow, he refilled her glass, the liquid cascading with a soft glug.

Clients walking in with faces twisted in discontent were a common sight, their expressions often akin to having discovered something unpleasant in their meal. Yet, this woman carried an air of intimidation that set her apart from the regulars.

Her demand that he play the attentive host and indulge in her grievances nearly coaxed a scoff from him. The mere insinuation of a generous tip had Ruìsāng leaning forward, resting his elbow on the bar. He propped his chin in his hand, his eyes twinkling with mischief as he gazed up at her. “Make it a good tip and a promise, and I can take a bottle of tequila up into a private room for all your complaints,” he suggested, his voice laced with a playful challenge. There, he thought, that's how you play the part of a good host.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Kaye Mercer

Kaye Mercer
The scotch had gone down easy, smooth, but burning right enough for her mind to get sharper. No doubt was it about to degrade to a much duller state as  the evening went on. Her goal that she so eagerly wanted to reach. Enough to be fucked up, not too much that she would end up with her head above a toilet bowl. Those days were long behind her, thankfully.

Kaye regarded Ruìsāng with a hint of amusement in her eyes. “Deal, but do change it to a bottle of rum. I cannot stand sweet drinks.” Was her final offer, nose slightly scrunched up by the idea of downing a bottle of tequila. No, she never liked them sweet. Except the women she took to bed, it seemed.

A silence fell. Another sip, swirling it around in her mouth before she swallowed. Reveling in the burn on the way down. Focusing her. Taking the edge of- finally taking the edge of the entire fucking circus of a day she had experienced. Kaye’s eyes focused back on a spot on the wall opposite of her, mind wandering slightly. Back to things she really should fucking forget about. “This place looks exorbitant.” was Kaye’s eventual observation of the Lunar Lounge, sour look crossing her face. Not quite ready yet to unload her shit on the guy who had killed her Garchomp. She wasn’t a fan of whichever interior decorator decided on this optical migraine of an interior. Horrid.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

The woman accepted his offer, though with a preference for rum over tequila. Ruìsāng’s lips formed a playful pout as he mockingly lamented her choice. “Clearly you’ve never had a good bottle of tequila,” he playfully chastised, his tone lightt. Nonetheless, he turned back to the shelves lined with bottles, querying, “Brown or white?” He waited for her response, ready to select her preference with an experienced hand. In his heart, Ruìsāng always favoured tequila, with its ability to spark unforgettable tales. But perhaps rum was the right choice for tonight.

Well, the patrons like it and pay good bucks for me to throw some glitter in their drink and flirt with them, so whatever works,” he shrugged casually, his response breezy as the woman aired her grievances about the establishment. “Come on, let’s go up the stairs. I’ll get us a karaoke room,” he said, a hint of excitement in his voice. As they moved, he gave a nonchalant wave to the boss-man, whose expression of confusion at seeing Ruìsāng leave with a woman was almost comical. Indeed, there was a first time for everything.

So, do you want me to hold your hand and tell you you’ve done nothing wrong, or do you want the pensive face?” Ruìsāng quipped, his tone teasing as they ascended the stairs. Demonstrating his words, he used his bandaged hand to grasp his chin, offering her a theatrical display of his best pensive face.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Kaye Mercer

Kaye Mercer
With an off hand gesture she mumbled something about preferring dark rum, before Ruìsāng pulled out an alternative to the tequila and took her upstairs. With a deep sigh she let herself slump off the barstool and followed the shorter man towards the stairs. The music faded to the background as she left the main floor behind. “Whatever, your opinion may be is of no concern to me. So just shut up and let me tell my story. Too much yapping, and you can kiss that tip goodbye.” Kaye grumbled, annoyance crossing her face. Man, she really was too sober for this. I mean, really, logically, what was there to tell? What even was  the big deal? Why was her head swimming with the thoughts about the redhead and why, why in the everloving hell, did she feel so guilty about kicking her out? Really, it wasn’t like she hasn’t done it before. Though, admittedly, Djodie was far like the usual women she took home- or rather, Kaye went home with.

The hallways were more quiet, but every now and again she could hear voices drift through the doors they passed. Shrill voices, deep voices, off-key voices .. The karaoke rooms offered an illusion of privacy for those inside, but clearly weren’t aware that their voices carried through the doors. Or they simply didn’t care. “My heart goes out to you, having to listen to this crap whenever you go upstairs.” she said, eyeing the bottle that Ruìsāng held in his hand with longing.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Whatever his opinion was, made no difference to her. A chuckle escaped Ruìsāng, morphing into a snort as she warned that he’d forfeit his tip if his lips wagged too much. “No yapping, got it,” he responded, his nod heavy with mock solemnity. In his eyes, this was an ideal arrangement. The less he had to feign interest in her woes with exaggerated ‘ooohs’ and ‘aaahs’, the better. To him, it was a win-win; he’d earn some cash and he didn’t have to come up with anything to say.

At the mention of the noise, Ruìsāng's laugh resurfaced. “That’s probably just someone keeping the door open. Our karaoke rooms are fully soundproofed,” he explained. This usually meant some safety for his ears, as well as those rooms serving as an ideal hideaway for discreet conversations... or other, more intimate encounters, as he and Vince had once demonstrated.

With his keycard, he unlocked the second karaoke room, gesturing for Kaye to enter first. He trailed in after her, sealing them off from the outside world with a soft click of the door. The room boasted a small bar, empty unless paid for by patrons. Unperturbed, Ruìsāng retrieved two glasses, filling them with rum and ice, before joining her on the couch with a relaxed ease.

So, tell me about your problems, darling,” he smiled innocently.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Kaye Mercer

Kaye Mercer
Ruisang opened the door to the karaoke room via keycard, she entered the room with a heavy feeling, the click of the door reassuring her and getting her ready to finally unload the absolute shit she had weighing on her mind. The karaoke room looked nothing like the ones Kaye had visited in her life. It was clear that whoever ran this establishment took good care of the outward appearance. Still, she found it horrid. Kaye sank down on the couch, settling in with ease after crossing her leg and resting her arms on the head of the couch. The clinking of glasses, shortly followed by Ruisang settling down on the couch beside her with two glasses filled with brown rum. Liquid gold when she was in this state.

Kaye took the glass, sipping and letting out a heavy sigh. “Why, I have about 32 problems right at this moment, but by far the one that bothers me the most is-” a little hesitation, a pause. Should she start from the top, the middle? The .. bottom ..? “I took someone home. To my home.” she said it with venom in her voice, still bitterly regretting the entire decision. Had she gone home with Djodie, she could have slipped out in the night and avoided the entire awkward morning after. Things would have worked out fantastically, the problem would not exist. The guilt would not exist. Perhaps she could have even met up again, hear those delicious noises she made .. “I never take them to my home.” the rum burned hot when she took two sips, muscles relaxing. Blue eyes fluttering close as she took a moment to collect herself and prolong the inevitable. Now look what she had done. Really, why did it bother her so much? Was the one question she asked herself for the milliont time that day.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

The woman confessed she was wrestling with thirty-two problems at the moment, a number Ruìsāng found almost comforting. He had his own tally of forty-seven troubles, after all. But as she delved into her main concern—taking someone home for the first time—Ruìsāng’s reaction was a slow, deliberate lift of one eyebrow.

Really? That was it?

Her admission that it was unusual for her to bring someone home prompted an involuntary roll of his eyes and a resigned sigh. Ruìsāng took a thoughtful sip from his glass, swallowing down the initial surge of sarcastic remarks. He had expected something more… complex. Wasn’t she like him in some way? The kind who shattered hearts inadvertently, never realising that emotions were at play?

Then take someone else home, too. It ain’t that deep,” he advised with a casual shrug. A new thought creased his forehead, and he wrinkled his nose at the thought. “Unless you’re in love.” That’d be horrible.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Kaye Mercer

Kaye Mercer
The atmosphere in the dimly lit room crackled with tension as Kaye and Ruisang engaged in their verbal dance. Kaye's eyes, a storm of frustration and disbelief, locked onto the him at his words. She had expected a casual evening, a simple exchange of pleasantries and drinks. Instead, she found herself immersed in a conversation that teetered on the edge of absurdity.

There he sat, with his disgusting judging look, rolling his eyes in response to Kaye's confession. Unfazed by her venomous look, it continued to weave its words, indifferent to the unspoken rules Kaye had hoped to impose. As she downed her rum with impatience, she held out the empty glass for a refill, a silent demand.

Then came the bombshell, a revelation that nearly caused Kaye to fumble her glass and spill some rum over her hand. Her eyebrows shot up in a mixture of disbelief and denial. "Don't talk so stupidly!" she snapped, a sharp retort that hung in the air like the lingering scent of alcohol. "I hardly know her!" Kaye exclaimed, her laughter bubbling up in her throat as if to dispel the absurdity of the situation. Shaking her head, she chortled to herself, finding the entire notion of love in this context utterly preposterous. The rum, now a familiar companion, offered a temporary reprieve from the surreal nature of the conversation.

"I mean, really, are you that daft?" Kaye continued, her words laced with a blend of exasperation and amusement. "Do you hear yourself sometimes? You know, when you speak." Her mind drifted to Djodie, with her red hair and dark blue eyes, a vivid image that contrasted with the surreal nature of the conversation. A memory that seemed to anchor her in the midst of the evening's eccentricity. Kaye's eyes left Ruisang's face, settling on the table where the rum bottle sat.

Love? Hah. She had known love once. Never again.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Ever the dutiful host, Ruìsāng refilled her glass, offering his two cents on her predicament. It wasn’t personal to him; he was simply there to listen and get paid for his time.

Kaye, however, didn't seem to appreciate Ruìsāng’s perspective. Her sharp retort caused him to instinctively raise his hand, a defensive gesture borne from past encounters, though he managed not to flinch. He had long since learned to mask his reactions.

Kaye's irritation escalated as she questioned his understanding of the situation, incredulously asking if he even listened to himself. Ruìsāng met her outburst with a mildly annoyed raise of his eyebrow. “I’m not the one drinking away because of a girl I claim to barely know,” he pointed out with a nonchalant shrug. He couldn’t fathom why she was directing her frustration at him. She was the one turning the issue into a mountain.

You complain about taking her home. What does it matter if not your own feelings getting involved? If it’s because it’s the first time you did it, then do it again with someone else. You should know the holy three when it comes to problems with casual sex by now,” he continued, his voice tinged with a hint of weariness. “If you find yourself thinking about them, sleep with someone else. If it doesn’t work, sleep with them again. If all else fails, well, make sure they never want to get near you again. Works wonders.

See? Amazing advice.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Kaye Mercer

Kaye Mercer
Ruisang, in his defense, seemed absolutely unfazed by her behavior. Regarding her with that distant casual demeanor a good listener has. One that has zero stakes in the story and couldn't care less if the patron goes home drunk and decides to step in their car instead of taking a cab. That distance was something Kaye found not only refreshing, but much needed. Once more she downed her glass, held it out for a refill- ah, there it was. That queasy feeling. That queasy feeling that made her want to smile more and tell Ruisang openly what she really thought of him. Kaye could not repress the chuckle after his first line of advice. “Ahh the holy three, the good ol’ holy three.” she said as if she was reminiscing about a long lost friend.

Kaye was about to take a sip of her rum, but her hand faltered as she got a contemplating look on her face, then disbelief, then amusement. “Fucking hell, mate. You give the world’s lousiest advice.” was Kaye’s final verdict. Showing him a toothy grin, sipping on the rum, shaking her head and putting the glass down before leaning back on the seater with a reclining sigh. “I mean, there is a truth there, I will admit. For all intents and purposes it is better if she stays far away from me. I mean- you seen me. When I battle. You know what work I do- at least, I assume you know, if not, I won’t tell you-” another chuckle, the alcohol in her veins waking up like a slumbering liepard. “I mean I am not good for her. I am not. I should just forget about ‘er.”

Was she  talking to Ruisang or to herself? At this point, she wasn’t sure.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Kaye's critique of Ruìsāng’s advice was blunt: she deemed it the worst advice imaginable. Unfazed, Ruìsāng merely raised an eyebrow, silently inviting her to continue, which she promptly did. It was apparent that even Kaye recognized the wisdom in keeping her distance from the girl in question. As Kaye hinted at the nature of her actions, Ruìsāng quickly dismissed it with a wave of his hand. He preferred to remain ignorant of the burdensome details. The less he knew, the better.

If you think she’s good, cut her off,” Ruìsāng offered succinctly. Others might have suggested a more optimistic approach, assuring Kaye that she too could be worthy of someone seemingly better. But Ruìsāng wasn’t one for sugarcoating reality. He saw the world for what it was, unvarnished and unapologetic.

Get her out of your mind. You barely know her anyways. Don’t ruin something good because you can’t keep your dirty hands off,” he advised, his words direct.

And maybe, just maybe, that advice was aimed more at himself than at her.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Kaye Mercer

Kaye Mercer
This was nice. The rum was flowing. They weren’t tearing each other apart. The rum was flowing. Unfortunately for the somber woman, the conversation was about to take a turn. One she’d rather not hear. His next words in turn made  the smile slightly falter. Kaye let her head fall back and stared at the ceiling in quiet contemplation. It had a dark color that suited the fancy interior of the karaoke room.

She had no retort to make and opted to down the rum once more. Holding out the glass for more. Head spinning slightly.

A bitter taste was left on her tongue. One that could no longer be blamed on the rum. She turned her head towards him then, eyes flaming with anger. A thought formed in her mind before she discarded it. For a moment feeling the overwhelming need to tell him to forget about that tip. The alcohol, however, softened her mood. As quick as the feeling had come it also began to fade and she let out a sign.

“Ain’t that the truth.” she murmured with a faraway look in her eyes. Thinking of someplace else. Someone else. And for the first time that night a silence fell as the rum balanced dangerously in her glas that she held on her lap, dangerously tipped to the side and about to spill over as her eyes remained on the ceiling.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

As the woman before him demanded another drink, Ruìsāng complied, pouring the liquor with a practised hand into her glass. The liquid swirled gracefully before settling. He watched her, a flicker of concern on his face. He harboured the hope that she would retain just enough sobriety to navigate her way out unaided. The thought of carrying her out himself was quickly dismissed – an impractical, if not impossible, endeavour. He briefly considered calling one of the guards for assistance, but the idea was quickly discarded. He had a genuine fondness for his staff and had no desire to see them on the receiving end of her potentially volatile reactions.

Aiyah! Careful there,” he hissed softly, a sharp edge to his whisper as he gestured towards her unsteady hand, barely keeping the glass from tipping over. He leaned in slightly, his expression a mix of curiosity and exasperation. “Why this fixation on her? You sure you ain’t mistaking it for something more than it is?” he asked, his voice laced with a weary sigh.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Kaye Mercer

Kaye Mercer
Her blue eyes stayed fixed on the ceiling, frown deepening as she became more lost in thought. Yes, why was she so interested in her? Kaye had to admit that there just was something about her that she found irresistible. That drew her closer to her even though her rational mind screamed for release. Kaye heard Sang’s hiss of warning, but the information seemed to come slowly to her as if her mind was covered in tar. The information translating slower due to her apparent inebriation. When she felt something wet hitting her knee she cast a look down and managed to tip the glass back before she spilled the entire content over herself. Better to finish it now before she really did spill it all.

Kaye turned her attention back to Sang, eyeing him with the same contemplative look she had been carrying for the last five minutes. Regarding him as if she really saw him for the first time in his life and she had never seen such a specimen before. “I don’t know.” Shesaid with something akin to post-nut clarity. “But whenever I am not around her I keep thinking about her. I Want to be near her and kiss her and taste her.” A true merry smile appeared around her lips. The kind that you get when you just had enough alcohol to take the edge off and realize that life wasn’t so bad after all. “She smells like flowers, did you know that?” She went on, wide eyed and sitting up to a straighter position because this piece of information seemed very vital to let the other man know.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Ruìsāng had never experienced the peculiar discomfort that came with the realisation that one's parents were sexual beings. But as Kaye divulged her thoughts about her recent fling, describing her longing to be near her, to kiss and taste her, Ruìsāng felt a wave of that very discomfort wash over him.

She smells like flowers, did you know that?” Kaye mused, a dreamy note in her voice.

No, and honestly, I didn’t want to,” Ruìsāng replied, his tone edged with firm disapproval. He eyed her with a mix of bewilderment and exasperation, his nose wrinkling slightly in distaste. His gaze drifted to her glass, and for a fleeting moment, he contemplated removing it from her grasp. The memory of her formidable right hook, however, quickly dissuaded him from the idea. He had no desire to reacquaint himself with her punch.

Alright, so you're smitten. But maybe consider moving on? There are plenty of other attractive women out there. Is she really worth all this fuss?” he sighed, his patience thinning. He shook his head slightly, a mix of frustration and resignation colouring his voice. Women – a puzzle he found both baffling and exhausting.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Kaye Mercer

Kaye Mercer
Ruisang did not know that, and seemed not really happy to learn about it either. Foolish boy. That kind of information was exactly the kind that was of importance. Well, he was gay so perhaps that was why he found this information about her uninteresting. With an audible sigh that betrayed her impatience, she retorted, “She isn’t like those other women. They mean nothing to me. I don’t even care to remember their names when I am done with them and the sun has come a-rising.” Kaye's words carried an air of nonchalance, an attempt to distance herself from a topic that held no emotional weight for her.

However, a noticeable shift occurred as she sat up straight, turning towards Ruisang with a seriousness that demanded his full attention. Her expression became grave, conveying the significance of what she was about to disclose. "But this one," she continued, her voice holding an unexpected edge, "how she looked at me. When I threw her out, I felt guilty." The atmosphere tensed as her words hung in the air, revealing a vulnerability that clashed with the tough exterior Kaye often projected.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

She isn’t like those other women.

Ruìsāng internally recoiled at the cliché. He couldn’t help but feel sceptical; to him, people often fell into familiar patterns, their uniqueness exaggerated by those who became captivated. Yet, to Kaye, this woman was an exception, forcing Ruìsāng to endure these confessions. As Kaye elaborated, his expression contorted further, his nose scrunching up as if trying to physically shield him from the conversation. He briefly wondered if his face might permanently freeze in this expression of distaste.

So…” he began cautiously, emboldened by the softened edges that alcohol seemed to bring to Kaye’s demeanour. He filed this observation away for future reference. “You’re drawn to her because she saw something good in you, and then she didn’t, which hurt you,” he surmised.

He could relate, in a way. There was someone in his own life he strived to keep from viewing him through the same lens others had, someone whose opinion mattered more than he admitted.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Sponsored content