Guidebook
Memberlist
Accountswitch

Magic in your bones

2 posters
Míngzé Xǔ
IC Posts : 1175

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

This was normally not his typical place to go. All that witchy stuff was not his thing, but after browsing some online he had found this place. What was the harm in checking out a place anyway? If there was nothing to his liking, he could simply go again. The biggest problem proved to be getting there. It was a good thing he had nowhere else to be that day.

Míngzé opened the door to the shop and was immediately greeted by an abundance of scents. This was definitely the right place. Carefully he stepped inside, the large windows made it so that there was a lot of light, which helped him navigate the place. He made his way through the shop, hoping to find someone who could help him. His cane hit a few things along the way, telling him that it was rather messy. A sigh escaped through his nose. Perhaps this was a mistake.

No matter how careful Míngzé was, one little slip up was enough for a small disaster to unfold. One wrong step and his shoulder accidently hit something. Next thing he knew he could hear glass shatter over the ground and it made him quickly take a step back, only to bump into something else. This time however nothing fell and shattered on the ground.

“Fuck.”

Was it too late to leave?

[ Voor Simura ]

THE WEAK ARE SCARED OF THE BRAVE, AND THE BRAVE ARE SCARED OF THE FEARLESS

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Nickname: Ming, Zé
Birthday: 13/2
Sexuality: Bisexual
Simura von Sylverstern
IC Posts : 399
Simura von Sylverstern
It was a classfree day, so Simmy had decided to open up the shop today. Of course, it was precious time that she should perhaps spend studying, as some exams were coming up... But there were other things that currently needed her attention. Such as the store plants! As such, she skillfully maneuvered around the shop, inspecting every little plant with great interest. Those that were growing nice and strong were showered in compliments for their great efforts, those that struggled were encouraged gently to keep growing, and given some supplements to help them out. As far as Simure was concerned, talking to plants was a completely normal and productive practice, but she had recently found out that that was not really the case here in Cerynia. Oh well.

The doorbell jingled, catching her attention. "You're doing great," she whispered quietly to the monstera she had been tending to, before peeking her head over a stack of books to get a good look at her customer. It was tall, slender man with long dark hair, who looked equally mysterious and confused. Simura watched him clumsily stumble around with great interest, up until he eventually walked into one of the stacks of books, and knocked over the vase balanced on top of it. A curse word almost made her laugh, but she managed to keep her face in check as she finally approached the stranger. "Ah! My most expensive vase! A relic from ancient times! You owe me 2000 for that," she said sternly, but quickly broke out into a bright smile. "I'm kidding of course, are you alright?"

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Nickname: Simmy, Sim
Birthday: 24-11
Sexuality: fuck around and find out :)
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

Míngzé wanted to run straight out of the door the moment he could hear the glass shattering everywhere. A small part of him desperately hoped the shop owner did not hear what happened. Maybe they were somewhere in a backroom, giving him the opportunity to flee. Not that he would’ve done that even when given the chance.

A stern voice sounded to his left, which instantly made him jump. “I’m so so—” Míngzé started his apology. Now he had really done it. With what little money he got this month, he would never be able to repay something that expensive. His mind was racing, trying to come up with something— anything. Yet before he could even finish his sentence, the girl spoke again.

A relieved but shaky sigh rolled over his lips and he placed a hand on his heart. “Damn—”he wanted to say more, but that was really all he managed to get over his lips. This was another ten years of his life gone. “You really got me there.” His heart was still going crazy in his chest. Still, he tried to force a small smile on his face. “Really, I was trying to be careful,” he started his apology over, not knowing where he was going with it. He really hated it when something like this happened.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Simura von Sylverstern
Simura von Sylverstern
Despite her best efforts, Simura couldn't smother her laughter, though she immediately felt bad because of it. The poor man seemed in genuine distress, his sigh shaky as he finally exhaled. Simmy felt bad for giggling, but couldn't contain herself. "I'm so sorry, that was a little mean," she said with a sheepish smile plastered on her face.

With her foot, she carelessly swiped the shards to the side. That was a problem she'd fix later. "It's alright, really! I don't blame you, it's quite stacked here, isn't it?" she reached for his hands, taking them in hers and flipping them over. Carefully she traced her fingers over his palms, until she was sure there were no cuts or glass splinters stuck in them. Satisfied, she gave them a gentle tap before letting go. "You're fine! I like things stacked, it makes this place feel alive, you know? But it can be a bit of a hassle. Please don't worry about the vase, it's fine!" At this point her Zorua had come out, sniffing around the both of them and showing great interest in the pocket of the stranger. "Is there anything I can help you with? Or are you just browsing?"

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

For a moment Míngzé had really believed her and now he was slowly calming down again. If it had been real, he would’ve never been able to financially recover from it. But everything was fine, she even apologized and Míngzé waved it away. “It’s fine, I’ll live,” he said with a small uncomfortable smile.

Hearing her talk helped get rid of the remainder of the stress that had settled into his bones. That was until his initial reaction was to pull his hands away as she grabbed them. That was unexpected. When she let go of them again, he held his hand closer to himself. “Yeah, it kinda is.” At least as far as he was aware. Míngzé looked around the place again, but even with the bright lights shining inside it was difficult to really discern one from the other because it was so packed. Again she told him not to worry about the vase he’d broken. “Are you sure?” he asked with a concerned frown, “As long as I don’t have to pay 2000 for that, I’m willing to repay you,” he tried to joke. That only sounded fair to him.

Only then they came to the reason why he was here and he cleared his throat as he thought about the right words. “Actually yes, I am looking for something to perhaps help me sleep? Or something calming?” Was it better to go to a doctor? Absolutely, but they would start asking even more questions, which he did not want.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Simura von Sylverstern
Simura von Sylverstern
As her hands drew over his, a shudder crept up her spine. As if zapped by some kind of electricity, she let go of his hands, wiping her own on the fabric of her dress. With renewed interest she studied his face, but there was nothing out of the ordinary. He seemed polite, nice even. So why was it something seemed to linger over him? Lost in thought she touched her hand to her face, unsure what was causing her sudden discomfort. Reluctantly, she brushed it off.

"No need! Its just a vase. Besides, I feel a little bad for giving you such a scare," with her business model, it was hardly a susprise that the shop didn't exactly make profit. Simmy didn't quite care, as with her background, finances had never been any of her concerns. Her passion had always been with the arcane, and the shop offered her a way to use her abilities for others. In her own country, a shop like hers would've been busy day and night. Here, though, people seemed less inclined to believe in the supernatural, strangely enough. It was another cultural aspect that fascinated her.

The words of the stranger brought back her wandering mind. "Oh, yes, I can do that!" once again her eyes lingered on his face, staring intently. As if that would reveal whatever was underneath there to her. "Is it... Just for sleep? Or perhaps also for easier dreams..?"

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

There was so much he missed in life simply because his eyes were not working the way they were supposed to. It was infuriating. So much could be prevented if he was simply able to see like every other individual. But those were things Míngzé tried not to think about too much. It would not help him in any way.

Míngzé felt relief wash over him when he heard that she could help him. “Perfect.” If he had known this earlier, he would’ve done this sooner. His unfocussed eyes were looking in her direction. “The whole package. Falling asleep, staying asleep, preferably no dreams, everything,” he started summing up. Normally he would not believe in all this witchy business, but with the things he’d experienced that had all changed. With the cane still in his hand, he crossed his arms tightly in front of his chest. “Each day I wake up, feeling like I haven’t slept at all, and I fear I’m starting to feel the consequences of it.“ All he wanted was to have a good night's rest. Not that it would help him in any way. No amount of sleep was going to fix him.

“I’ve heard about certain tea’s helping people, but that is as far as my knowledge about this stuff goes.” Míngzé looked around himself while he said that. From the looks of it she seemed to know what she was doing, although it could all be a lie. Not that it mattered. What was the worst that could happen?

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Simura von Sylverstern
Simura von Sylverstern
She crossed her arms, looking at him tentatively. "Emphasis on help, though. I can help you ease your mind and your pains, but I can't fix all of it for you," Chamomile could ease someone's mind, but it did not cure you of any illness. That's where a hospital came in, or a therapist. Still, something in her told her the poor man could use some spiritual help, too. She listened intently to what he had to say, occasionally nodding along with a gentle hm-hm. Her mind was already racing with endless options.

"You heard right! I have a great night time tea, it's a wonderful mix of spearmint, chamomile, lavender, and valerian root. Make sure to drink a good cup about half an hour before you go to bed every night, or have multiple throughout your evening. Wait, let me get it for you," Without waiting for a response she turned on her heels, disappearing to a further end of the shop where all her various teas and dried herbs were to be found. "I'm really sorry to hear about your issues, by the way, I hope you're alright," she said as she nosed through the herbs, before eventually grabbing a small bag with loose tea. With a skip in her step she returned to the stranger, holding the bag out to him proudly. "Here, sniff this. Good stuff, no?" her smile reached from ear to ear. "But... I don't mean to overstep, but it sounds like you might benefit from something... Stronger?" She said, treading carefully. "I can assemble a spell jar for you, if that's something that might interest you? It will hopefully bring you some more rest, and protection,"

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

This was meant to help, not fix everything. Míngzé clenched his jaw and only gave a firm nod. That he knew all too well. Nothing could fix this. At least as far as he was aware. He had looked on the internet for help, but came back empty handed. This might not fix anything, but he had to try something.

For a moment the shop owner disappeared as she went to grab his tea. Míngzé took this chance to walk further into the shop, this time even more carefully as before. It did not take long for her to show up again and he vaguely saw how she held out something towards him. “Yeah, I’m fine, just a shit-ton of stress,” he sighed. That sounded very convincing. He grabbed the small bag and brought it to his nose. “Smells good, I’ll take it.” Míngzé handed her the bag again.

Something stronger. That sounded exactly like what he needed. A tea was fun and all and would definitely help him somewhat, but with this he needed more. However Míngzé grimaced as the other kept talking. “A spell jar?” He started fiddling with the cane in his hands, making it roll between his fingers. “I’m not sure.” His heart had slightly picked up in pace. Was it really a smart thing to invite even more ‘supernatural’ things into his life? “What’s in it, exactly?” he heard himself ask carefully. Above all, was it dangerous? Simply discussing this subject unsettled him and he had to keep himself from turning around and leaving the shop.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Simura von Sylverstern
Simura von Sylverstern
Somehow his 'fine' did not seem all too convincing. Simmy furrowed her brow in worry, but bit her tongue as not to pry. It was one of the things she struggled most with within her field, letting go of others' emotions and problems. Usually people that were prospering and healthy don't come seeking for guidance. If she were to delve deeply into everyone's problems, that would be an overload she couldn't handle. Besides, others often felt that she was prying, instead of simply showing interest and concern.

So instead she simply nodded, leaving the tea in his hands. "Tea is always your friend," she said with a wink. "I do hope things will calm down for you," she said eventually, offering her sympathy. As the man maneuvered through the shop, she noticed his cane. Simmy didn't think too much of it, as her mind was preoccupied by his question. "Oh nothing sinister! Gods black magic is not welcome in this shop, no sir," magic with dark intentions stained someone's soul, and she was not willing to stain hers further. "A spell jar is simply that, a jar! I'll put some lavender in for relaxation, some rosemary against bad dreams... And then, I think, for you, some amethyst, lepidolite and salt, for good dreams, good rest, and protection," she listed in a ramble, counting the items on her fingers. "I'll add in a written affirmation for you and seal it. You just put it under your bed or on a nightstand, and it'll hopefully offer you some relief,"

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

When Míngzé came here it was initially with an open mind. He did not truly believe in magic and everything, but there was nothing wrong with some tea. As he expected he was able to find some tea here that he would not be able to buy anywhere else. “Yeah, thanks,” he said with a soft sigh. There was nothing he wanted more, but each day his life only seemed to get crazier.

There was certainly something weird out there, but Míngzé had his limits as to what he was able to believe. He smiled a bit awkwardly when she spoke about dark magic and that it was not welcome here. “That’s good to hear,” he said with a strained smile. For some reason he couldn’t help but feel like he too was not welcome here if that was the case.

With a lot of enthusiasm the other started to explain what was in this so-called spell jar and what he had to do with it. His frown visibly grew the more she told him. It was basically just a pot with a lot of stuff inside that you could easily find outside somewhere. But the fact that he had to place it under his bed made him blink in surprise. “And just how is that supposed to help?” the words slipped out of his mouth before he had the chance to stop them. “Don’t get me wrong but— it all sounds a bit too dreamy.” In other words he did not believe it would do anything. If you asked him it was only to make some money.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Simura von Sylverstern
Simura von Sylverstern
 Her enthusiastic rambling apparently did little to convince the stranger. Simmy blinked in surprise to his words, as they had managed to do a very rare thing - silence her briefly. Perhaps she should be offended, as the stranger seemed to imply that was she was nothing but a quack doing a sales pitch. Still, she was mostly dumbstruck. Even though she'd been in Cerynia for a bit now, it was still quite a culture shock to have people so openly question her practice of magic. In her country, none dared. Let alone against the royal family.

Most of all, amusement flickered in her eyes. "Quite something to walk into a magic shop, and then question the magic I'm selling," she winked at him, but clearly did not take him or herself too seriously. "I can tell you all about it, if you like! But put simply, there's power and magic in everything. It just takes the right intentions and person to shape them into what you want or need. Pokémon are pretty good at that, but some people are too," she explained with a shrug. "I can make you a small one for free, if you like? You can see if yourself if it works," she didn't care much to sell him her most expensive wares, as money was hardly something she needed. It was just that darkness that loomed over him. Even if she couldn't convince him of anything, perhaps she could at least relieve him of some of the weight he appeared to carry with him.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

Míngzé arched a brow when the woman started talking. Perhaps she was right. “Call me a skeptic,” Míngzé said with a small smile while lifting his shoulders. Not believing in any of this was always easier, but recent events had shown him that was not always the right option. But perhaps he’d made a mistake by coming here.

As the woman started talking, he loosely crossed his arms over his chest. “Magic,” he repeated, tasting the words on his lips. “Are you referring to those things people call affinities?”  The way she described it made it all sound so beautiful and well— magical. Reality was far different, wasn’t it? If only people truly knew what it all entailed, maybe they would thing differently.

“Sure, why not. What could go wrong with a bit of magic.” A whole lot. Placing some jar underneath his bed was easy enough. While he still did not believe it would really help, there was no harm in trying. Who knows, maybe she could prove him wrong after all.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Simura von Sylverstern
Simura von Sylverstern
She chuckled. "Well alright, it's nice to meet you, Skeptic, I'm Simura," the girl offered him a wink, a stupid, very content grin on her face. Gods, it was a good thing her parent's weren't here, she could only imagine their rage at his dismissal. It stung a little bit, of course, but Simmy, unlike her parents, strongly believed that people could think and do as they pleased. They'd find out about the powers surrounding them at their own time, or not. Who was she to judge?

"But no, not specifically. I personally believe that affinities are simply an extension of magic, but it's really in anything. What makes the winds blow? What makes your heart beat, your mind love? What connects pokémons to their typing? What shapes our dreams?" she hummed, her mind clearly wondering to places far away from them, from here. To her it felt nearly ignorant to say magic did not exist, as it was the very core of everything, that what made everything. The girl shook her head with an apologetic smile. "Sorry, I'm rambling," she skipped over to behind the counter, beckoning him to come. The fact that he was blind had still not occurred to her. " I'll make it right here so you can see, no bad intentions, no sir!" some loud noises ensued whilst she ducked behind the counter, digging for whatever she needed.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

The other introduced herself as Simura, a name he had come across when he found this shop online. Before she would call him Skeptic his entire life, it was probably best to give her a name as well. “It’s Míngzé,” he told her calmly.

Her rambling started again and she threw question after question at him. It was clear she was trying to convince him, but did not manage in doing so. “I’m no scientist nor doctor so I don’t have the exact answers, but there is an explanation for those things.” A simple google search and he would have an exact answer to all of her questions. But as he did not want to crush all her dreams, Míngzé decided against doing so.

Míngzé arched an eyebrow, but the other person was already searching for whatever she needed. Right, she was going to show him she had no bad intentions. He could hear her rummaging through her belongings while he was still processing what she had said. “Can it magically heal my eyes too then?” he asked her, a hint of sarcasm in his voice. For all he knew she was creating something existing of buneary legs, rattata livers— the last one he would probably smell.  

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Simura von Sylverstern
Simura von Sylverstern
Míngzé. That was actually quite a lovely name. She hadn't quite expected him to actually introduce himself. In all fairness, she was simply just poking some fun at him. Simmy enjoyed the banter and wasn't too hurt by his wary attitude towards the arcane, but Míngzé did not seem all that appreciative of her jesting. Sour face.

Simmy shrugged once again. "I think no-one does. Do you really believe science can explain everything? Can science explain our lust for life, the reason we like to dance, the ways we fall in love?" She mused, the gentle smile on her face caused by the fond memories she accidentally brought up. "No worries, Mr skep-, I mean, Míngzé, I'm not trying to get you into some kind of cult. See for yourself if it works!" And with that, she started busying herself. In a hurricane of motion she swept across the store, bottles jangling and the smell of herbs pertinent as she picked things here and there. She danced through all her wares with a certain grace only someone who knew the mess of the store by heart ever could. As she finally seemed to gather all the ingredients, she returned to the counter, caught off guard by his remark. "What? Your eyes? There's nothing wrong with your eyes, I think they're quite pret-" her eyes befell on the cane, and the penny dropped. "Oh," Right. Yeah. As one impaired person to another, she really should've gathered that much. "I'm sorry, I didn't notice," she apologized in earnest. "I'm a witch, not a doctor, that's something I can't fix, I'm afraid," It was unclear whether she actually picked up his sarcasm.

"Wait, I have an idea, may I?" she tentatively reached for his hand, her fingers brushing the back of them as she waited for his consent. "You can feel and smell it. It's only lavender, rosemary, salt, and amethyst and lepidolite. So... Just herbs and rocks, really. And a little note, with the intentions. That's all! Witches' promise,"

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

Míngzé hummed softly as she went on with her little rant. This did not feel like a discussion he could win. No matter what argument he presented, she would find a way to twist it towards the existence of magic. “I bet it can, in fact.” It was that he was not interested in that kind of thing, so he never looked it up or anything. “Could have fooled me.” Witches have covens, a group of people, all with the same ideas, beliefs and goals. Was that not in a way a cult?

Somehow people around him were more blind than the actual blind guy among them. Míngzé raised a brow when she told him there was nothing wrong with his eyes, only pretty. That was definitely a first. She might want to tell his doctor about it as he has been wrongly diagnosed his entire life. A smile that not quite reached his eyes appeared. “Don’t worry about it, I did not expect you to.” It was simply the way she’d been talking. Who knows, maybe if she had some magical solution to his eyes, he would’ve given it a shot.

Reluctantly he let her guide his hand. What she told him turned out to be the truth, it was nothing more than herbs, rocks and flowers. It only deepened the frown on his head as he held one of the rocks. “Right.” This was only to show him this would work, but even now he did not believe any of it. “The power of some rocks, herbs and written notes,” he said with a shake of his head. Míngzé let go of the rock again. “I’ll give it the benefit of the doubt.” If it worked it worked, if not there would be a weird jar underneath his bed. At least he had tea, which he did believe in.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Simura von Sylverstern
Simura von Sylverstern
She playfully rolled her eyes at his apparent sarcasm. Clearly, he wasn't convinced. And that was okay. Or at least, Simmy was trying to learn that that was okay. It was still so foreign to her. Saying magic didn't exist felt like claiming grass wasn't green, or you didn't need to breathe to survive. To her, science was simply humanity's tool to understand magic, to map it and find ways to deal with it. It's human nature to want answers, to explain everything - but some things would never be explained. The girl opened her mouth to tell him as such, but ultimately decided against it. Who was she to tell him what to believe?

When he allowed her to, she gently took his hand in his, guiding his fingers over the objects in front of her. At least he seemed convinced about her pure intentions now. Simmy offered him a wide grin he couldn't see, and let go of his hands. "Atta boy!" she joked and swiftly got to work, lighting a piece incense and cleansing the jar. "I do hope it'll help at least, you do look a little tired," she said, before realizing that her honesty might be a bit unwarranted. Quickly, she assembled the jar, stuffing in everything she'd put down on the counter in front of them. "Okay, give me a moment, I need to concentrate,"  Simura closed her eyes, breathing in deeply as she cleared her mind. Focusing solely on her intentions, she wrote down several sentences before folding the paper neatly, and dropping it in the jar and sealing it shut. Gently, she took the jar in her hand and shook it three times. "Sleep will find you in peace and leave you well-rested. No dreams will come to you, or harm you in anyway. You are calm, serene, and protected," the way she uttered her words made her seem like she was in a trance of some sort, though it very quickly disappeared. "So! That's that, now just put in under your bed or somewhere near where you sleep, and see for yourself," she said, unbothered. "Did you want the tea still?"

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

Míngzé blinked a few times before his brow knitted together. So he looked tired. Given how he felt it should not surprise him at all. He felt as though sleeping for an entire week wouldn't suffice. This was one of those things he never thought about, forgetting that other people could see these details. All he did was hum in response. She also seemed to sense that her comment might not be what he wanted to hear. Instead, she focussed on the task at hand.

He forgot all about her last comment when she started doing— something. The frown on his face only deepened as she continued. First she wrote something down, but then, then she started talking. Her words made Míngzé very aware of his problems and the stupidity of all this. And then she stopped. “Is that all?” Míngzé questioned, not knowing what else he expected. Maybe a strange sudden gust of wind that shouldn’t have been there? A raise in the temperature? Something.

Still dumbstruck, he almost missed her question about the tea. “Huh— yeah— sure.” Míngzé shook his head while rubbing his eyes. What a very strange woman.

As she was grabbing the last things he’d asked for, something else came to mind. “I have one more quest.” Ever since he found her shop online, there had been one question that had haunted him. The reason Míngzé had yet to ask it out loud was that he feared it sounded stupid. Of course he would not find something like this in a place like this. But there was always the small chance that she could help. “Affinities are magic, you say, and there is magic in everything or something. Do you— is there anything that can block magic?” While he did not believe in magic, he did believe in affinities. How could he not? Instinctively, he ran his thumb over the scars that traced across the back of his right hand.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Simura von Sylverstern
Simura von Sylverstern
Gods, she really had to stifle her laughter upon seeing his face. As she looked up form her work, his brows were knitted so closely together that they nearly touched. In that moment, she found herself to be quite glad he couldn't see, as her face would've betrayed her amusement. For her, this was a near daily occurrence, nothing out of the ordinary. For him, clearly not so much.

"Yup! See? Nothing sinister. The hard part is focusing on your intentions," she hummed as she put the tea and the jar in a paper bag. As she was thinking about what might be a suitable price, Míngzé proposed a question that took her off guard. "Oh, hm," a pensive frown settled on her face. It surprised her, really. Most people she'd spoken to were riveting about affinities. They seemed to view it as a blessing, as something all Cerynians were proud of. He was the first she heard about blocking it. Sim thought for a second. "Well, to be honest, we don't have affinities were I'm from, so I don't know any practices specifically for that, yet But there are definitely protection spells in general. I might be able to think of something that can help, but, I'd need to know what exactly you'd want protect.. Or block?" a realization dawned on her. "Does it have to do with the nightmares..?" perhaps she was overstepping his boundaries, but curiosity got the best of her.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Sponsored content