Guidebook
Memberlist
Accountswitch

the city's gone cold

2 posters
Ruìsāng Sū
IC Posts : 981

Ruìsāng SūBlessed by ????
The news that Míngzé had stopped by while he’d been away had caught Ruìsāng off guard, especially when he learned that the encounter between Vince and Míngzé hadn’t unfolded as smoothly as he had anticipated. He had hoped the two would find common ground, perhaps even forge a friendship. Yet, the reality seemed to diverge from his expectations.

Despite this, Ruìsāng resolved not to meddle. His protective instincts, while strong, did not extend to micromanaging Vince's interactions. He believed in intervening only if the situation escalated to disrespect or harm. After all, his regard for Míngzé remained unchanged, and he trusted Vince to handle minor conflicts independently.

Several days after this revelation, Ruìsāng found himself restless, thoughts swirling as he lay in bed. Wrapped in contemplation and a blanket slung over his shoulder for warmth, he rose and made his way through the quiet of the night. Vince’s words echoed in his mind, nudging him towards a decision.

With a measured pace, he approached Míngzé’s door, pausing to collect his thoughts before raising his hand to knock softly. He lingered at the threshold, curious and somewhat hopeful, wondering if Míngzé was still awake and open to a late conversation.

& ming

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Nickname: Sāng
Birthday: 14 / 12
Occupation: Bartender & 4th year bachelor (hospitality management)
Sexuality: Gay
Míngzé Xǔ
IC Posts : 1175

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

HYPOCRITE
of DARKNESS SHOWS ITS FACE, LIKE A NIGHTMARE, AGAIN, THIS REPETITIVE PATTERN

When sleep did not welcome him, he always turned on a tv show, and every time the same one. It helped. The fact that he knew what was coming brought him some peace. While the people on the TV spoke, discussing what was wrong with their new patient, Míngzé let his eyes rest. Their voices were calming, distracting him from everything else he experienced. There was so much more that he was able to perceive as of lately and it was a lot for him. He was far from comfortable with it, making mundane things like sleeping difficult.

That and he could not shake the feeling that he was not alone. Sometimes he was, but other times he somehow knew even when there was no one with him.

Dai was asleep on his lap, snoring silently while Wěi was asleep on his bed. The only one who was still away was Míngzé. His eyes were heavy, but still it was not enough to actually fall asleep. Maybe in an hour or two it would be easier.

Or not. A knock sounded, immediately alarming Dai. The houndour jumped to his feet, barking loudly at the door. It made Míngzé jump in response and he nearly fell out of his couch. “Fuck, Dai, shut up,” he cursed, now wide awake. Dai however did not listen and kept barking, mixed with a low growl.

With his heart still beating in his chest, Míngzé made his way towards the door. He couldn’t help but feel uncomfortable. Who would need him at this time of the evening? “Yes? Who’s there?” he asked with the door still closed. The small peakhole each door had was useless. As he waited for a reply, he held his breath.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Nickname: Ming, Zé
Birthday: 13/2
Sexuality: Bisexual
Ruìsāng Sū

The sudden eruption of barking caught Ruìsāng completely off guard, sending a jolt of surprise through him that made him instinctively retreat a step. The realisation hit him like a cold splash of water: he had completely overlooked Míngzé's dog. The barking shattered the late-night silence. Ruìsāng cursed himself silently for the lapse in judgement.

As the dog's barking continued, a voice filtered through the disruption, prompting Ruìsāng to compose himself quickly. “Míng-gē,” he called out, his tone laced with apology.

Did I disturb your sleep?” Ruìsāng inquired, his voice tinged with genuine concern. The last thing he wanted was to be a source of annoyance, especially given the late hour.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

HYPOCRITE

The voice from behind the door was one he recognized immediately. There was a small sting, one he tried to ignore the best he could. A few weeks ago, this question would have been unnecessary. Míngzé opened the door and set a step back. “Sāng,” he greeted the other. Dai appeared at his feet, growling softly at Sāng from behind the safety of Míngzé’s legs.

In the background you could clearly hear Doctor House talking. From what he could gather he’d figured out what the problem was exactly and was not racing to save the patient’s life. “No, not at all. I was watching tv,” he reassured the other, gesturing behind him toward the tv.

“Is something wrong?” When the question left his lips, concern clouded his face. It was not unusual form them to meet at night, but those times had been different. Now it was Sāng knocking at his door in the middle of the night.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Ruìsāng found himself momentarily taken aback. He couldn’t help but arch an eyebrow at the animal, but didn’t respond to it.

Relief washed over Ruìsāng as he realised Míngzé wasn’t woken up from sleep by his visit. The inquiry into whether something was wrong prompted a brief pause from Ruìsāng. Of course something was wrong. Something always was.

No,” he responded. The truth was, a shadow had crept upon him, its dark embrace stirring unrest in his mind and banishing sleep. But it was not a burden he wished to lay at Míngzé’s door.

It’s nothing specific. Insomnia, I suppose. I thought to check if you were still up, forgetting your… dog,” he explained with a resigned sigh. The gentle knock he had envisioned as a silent query had instead been betrayed by the canine alarm. “Vince mentioned your visit earlier,” he added.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

HYPOCRITE

A small smile broke through at the mention that nothing was wrong. The worry ebbed away, if only a little. “That’s good,” he said with a nod. Dai only growled louder when Sāng mentioned him. “Shut it.” For now it did the trick and the pokémon fell quiet. “He’s mad you ruined his beautysleep.” Míngzé rolled his eyes as he said that. The pokémon was the only one who had been fast asleep.

“Right,” Míngzé muttered, his voice tinged with bitterness. After his visit he had wondered how the two knew each other and why they were both in Sāng’s apartment, but he quickly dismissed those questions. He took a deep breath, again pushing it all aside.

“I have something for you.” Although Sāng probably already knew that too. Míngzé turned around and left the door open. If the other wanted he could come inside. The very ugly wrapped present with a very obvious form was waiting on his dining table. “Just something small. First I intended on giving it to you around Christmas, but here we are.” Only a month, nearly two, later. It made sense, given the death of Sāng’s mom, that he had needed some time to himself.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

The mention of Vince seemed to add a sharp edge to Míngzé's voice, one that didn't go unnoticed by Ruìsāng, who quirked an eyebrow in response. Curiosity piqued as Míngzé alluded to a gift, Ruìsāng's gaze settled on the object in question—a present that… was definitely wrapped. Its imperfect folds and creases brought out a genuine chuckle from Ruìsāng, an appreciation for the effort rather than the finesse.

If you’re jealous gēgē, just say the word,” Ruìsāng quipped, the amusement clear in his tone as he gently ribbed Míngzé. “But really, this was thoughtful of you. Thanks,” he added, his voice softening into a more sincere note of gratitude.

How about joining me on the rooftop for a bit? I could use some fresh air, and I wouldn't mind the company.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

HYPOCRITE

A while ago they’d sat on the roof together and Sāng had told him about a good guy in his life that he liked. This only confirmed this was that Vince. At this point in time, Míngzé could not fully agree with Sāng about him. It all left a sour taste in his mouth, thinking back to that one confrontation.

Míngzé huffed and rolled his eyes dramatically when Sāng suggested he was jealous. If only that was the reason. “Right. That’s it, you got me,” he tried to keep his tone lighthearted. They would probably murder each other after living one week together in the same house. He could still remember their first time meeting each other, that also did not go well, but had been a whole different situation. “He was being way too pushy, that's all.” Míngzé heaved a deep breath and shook his head, trying to push away the irritation it brought forth.

Instead he decided to turn his attention towards the present in his hands. Míngzé handed it over to Sāng. “No idea if it’s any good, you know I’m no expert.” He managed to get a small smile onto his lips. The bottle of tequila was not one of the very expensive ones, but was also not the cheapest. Softly he hummed, looking over his shoulder towards his tv. “I believe I could fit this into my very busy schedule, yes.” While he said that he was already removing his jacket and cane.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Should've made your move earlier, gēgē,” Ruìsāng quipped with feigned solemnity, a playful edge to his voice. The notion was amusing; after all, it had been Ruìsāng who flirted, not Míngzé.

The revelation that Vince had been pushy surprised Ruìsāng, his smile widening in genuine curiosity. “Really? That’s unexpected,” he mused, his thoughts momentarily drifting. It wasn’t like Vince to impose himself, at least not in Ruìsāng's experience. Their bond had grown precisely because of Vince not pushing, an interesting contrast to what Míngzé described.

As Míngzé handed over the clumsily wrapped gift, Ruìsāng unwrapped it, his expression softening at the sight of the bottle—a decent choice. “Thank you, really,” he expressed his genuine appreciation, touched by the gesture.

Míngzé agreed to join him despite the late hour. As Ruìsāng discarded the wrapping and secured the bottle. Leading the way to the elevator, Ruìsāng reached for Míngzé’s wrist with a gentle firmness, guiding him towards their spot under the night sky.

Settling into their chosen spot, the cityscape sprawling below them, Ruìsāng turned to Míngzé with a relaxed demeanour. “So, how have things been on your end?” he inquired.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

HYPOCRITE

“You were ignoring all my attempts at flirting.” Of which there were none, which was entirely the point. For a moment he thought that maybe, they were each talking about a different Vince, but that was impossible. Míngzé hummed in confirmation. “Perhaps he loved my voice and couldn’t get enough of it.” An attempt to make light of the situation because in the big scheme of things, it was not a big deal at all.

Wrapping something without seeing what exactly you were doing was not great. Especially when it had a weird form like a bottle of tequila. In his head it did not look that horrible. “It's no problem, really. After everything you more than deserve something small,” he said with a simple shrug. It was true. Sāng did deserve more, but it was the idea behind this that mattered.

Trusting Sāng, he followed with his help until they reached the rooftop and they sat down. The experience of walking around on the rooftop was still horrible and he hated every minute of it. Only when he sat down, was he able to relax again. There sounded a sigh after Sāng had asked his question, one that was deeper than intended.

“I’d be lying if I told you things have been going good.” Somehow, framing it like this made it easier than simply saying, "No, things weren't going well." Míngzé leaned his head against the stone wall, his eyes gazing towards the pitch black sky. There was nothing there. The moon was never bright enough and a sun would only damage his eyes further. “Can you believe I’ve never seen a star in my entire life?” People often talked about stars, yet he had never seen them and they were far out of reach.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Perhaps your flirting needs a bit more work. I'll be on the lookout next time,” Ruìsāng teased, his tone playful yet edged with sincerity.

The conversation took a turn as Míngzé hinted at Vince's possible affection for his voice, eliciting another amused response. “You two should sort it out among yourselves. Just remember, you’re both good people. Don't let a bad day or a misunderstanding cast a shadow over that,” Ruìsāng advised. He believed in the potential for harmony between them, despite the current situation, but if they held no desire for it, then he wouldn’t interfere.

Míngzé’s assertion that Ruìsāng was deserving of... something left unspoken sent a ripple of discomfort through him. For a brief moment, he was ensnared by a single memory, the darkness momentarily tightening its grip. Yet, as he reopened his eyes, he masked any sign of turmoil with practised ease. “Thank you,” he managed.

As they settled on the rooftop, Míngzé confided that things had been less than ideal. Ruìsāng listened, his expression contemplative as he leaned back and gazed upward, following Míngzé’s gaze to the heavens. “They're just specks of light from afar, hardly noticeable from within the city,” he mused, offering a perspective.

The question that followed was gentle yet laden with concern. “Is there anything on your mind you'd like to share?” Ruìsāng inquired, his voice inviting. Ruìsāng was genuinely open to lending an ear, should Míngzé wish to unburden himself, now that he did consider him a friend.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

HYPOCRITE

Míngzé couldn’t help but roll his eyes in amusement. “I promise I’ll try harder when the time arises, send more winks towards you, that must do the trick.”

A soft sigh escaped when Sāng asked him to give Vince another chance. He rubbed his eyes before lifting his shoulders for a second. It was difficult for sure to let bygones be bygones. “We’ll see.” This was not something he could promise. So far he did not want to talk to the other at all, not even about the weather, which was an immediate result of their conflict.

Stars. The idea sounded impossible. A black background in the sky filled with small specks of light all over.  It only got weirder if he thought about constellations. “It sounds fake,” he said with an almost empty chuckle. Yeah no, he could not envision it at all.

For a moment he tilted his head to the side, towards Sāng, before looking back to the sky. “Well, your boyfriend did tell me to talk and find someone to trust,” he muttered, followed by a deep sigh. That is why the whole conflict had started in the first place, because there was no trust at all between him and Vince so why would he talk. But this was different. Over the months he’d come to trust Sāng.

Talking, it had never been his strong suit. “I think I— no, I know why I could sense the curse on you, among other things.” Last time he talked about this, his sister had caught fire and nearly destroyed his apartment. Ever since then he kept it all to himself and they had not talked about it either after that happened.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Ruìsāng's laughter rang out as Míngzé teased about adopting a more flirtatious demeanour in the future. He leaned in, a playful pout forming on his lips. “While you're at it, throw in a compliment or two about my looks. It's a rarity these days,” he lamented, his voice laced with mock sorrow.

The conversation took a turn when Míngzé opened up, albeit vaguely, about a conversation he'd had with his ‘boyfriend’. Ruìsāng arched an eyebrow, curiosity piqued yet he chose silence over questions. He accepted the mention of Vince as his boyfriend, not out of belief in the title's authenticity, but as a concession to the fleeting nature of their current reality. Why dispel an illusion that time would dissolve on its own?

Míngzé’s next revelation drew a thoughtful hum from Ruìsāng. He recalled their earlier discussions, how Míngzé confessed a reluctance to see the curse lifted. Ruìsāng pondered the extent of shadows that must envelop a soul for its essence to be felt by others.

You meant sensing death around me,” Ruìsāng clarified.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

HYPOCRITE

Míngzé raised a brow and looked at the other in amusement as he started laughing, telling him to also add compliments. “Your blue eyes are the prettiest I’ve ever seen,” he said, keeping his tone seriously. Out of everyone he was probably the worst person to compliment someone’s appearance.

Míngzé fell silent for a moment. Those were the words he’d used back then, and now they all made so much more sense. “Yeah,” he confirmed with a sigh. The way he had worded it back then nearly caused everything to collapse. It had not been his most tactical approach, but Sāng had demanded him to explain back then.

“A few months ago, something happened that I still can’t fully explain.” Even if he could recall the full event, Míngzé was not sure if he would be able to explain it in detail. It did not make any sense. “I was on the beach with Qiān, a pokémon attacked, next thing I know I hit the water and got pulled under. All I remember is going deeper, and deeper with no way out. Even now I can still feel water filling my lungs.” As he said that, he placed a hand against his chest. If he let his mind wander to those moments, the burning sensation was back, the thight feeling in his chest that felt like it was ready to burst. There were things he could not say out loud, only hint at.

“That was the day I accidentally texted you instead of a friend of mine.” There was a smile on his face as he recalled that, even though it did not fully reach his eyes. The bottle of tequila from back then was still in his kitchen, waiting.  

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Blue? You hurt me so,” Ruìsāng lamented with an exaggerated sigh, feigning hurt over Míngzé's incorrect guess at his eye colour. He hadn’t even considered that Míngzé was unable to see something as simple as the colour of his eyes. A chuckle escaped him, mischief sparkling in his gaze. “Perhaps you need a closer look?” he teased, his grin wide and unabashed.

As Míngzé unfolded his tale of a near-fatal encounter with the sea, it seemed less like almost drowning and more as if he had actually died, if only momentarily. Ruìsāng listened intently, his expression turning thoughtful as he gazed out over the cityscape. The irony wasn't lost on him — the peculiar dissonance between Vince and Míngzé, despite their shared experience with drowning and waking up with an affinity.

I'm sorry you went through that,” he expressed, sincerity lacing his words. “So, awakening to an affinity connected with death itself — a ghost affinity, then,” he deduced. The logic was clear: if Míngzé had developed a sensitivity to darkness, he would have detected Ruìsāng's presence immediately. "I can only imagine what experiencing that is like. So, does this affinity allow you to sense curses?” he wondered, not knowing what that meant for Míngzé.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

HYPOCRITE

So not blue then. There was a smile dancing on his lips. Not that it really mattered. He would occasionally forget his own eye color, or more that it could matter to other people. “I fear I have to pass, before you know it I’ll get lost in them,” Míngzé said jokingly. It was something he heard people say in movies, that they could get lost in someone’s eyes.

Míngzé clenched his teeth as Sāng said the words he couldn't bring himself to say. With a stiff nod he confirmed that the other was correct. “Yeah.” That was the only word he managed to muster. The idea was still horrible to him, no matter the fact that he’d acknowledged its presence. There was no escaping it, yet that did not mean he had to like it. Not only that, in a way it was growing stronger, which was only more reason for concern.

“Really, I hope you never have to. It came at a price.” Even being one of those people himself, he can’t exactly say it has changed his view. In his eyes, Affinities were not worth all of this. They were still dangerous.

“And hell if I know,” he sighed deeply, shaking his head and shrugging almost desperately. “I don’t think it’s limited to weird curses. For now I’m still figuring it all out, I guess.” Because what other choice did he have? So far he has found no way that could help him suppress it. “Not that I exactly like it.” There had only been one positive about this whole ordeal, and that was also gone. Which was for the better.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Ruìsāng’s smile widened playfully, his response light-hearted to the jest about getting lost in his eyes— a jest all the more poignant because the one who made it couldn't see them. “I'm aware. It's a common hazard,” he quipped back.

As their conversation delved deeper into Míngzé's affinity, it became apparent that Míngzé was still grappling with the extent and nature of it. Beyond the curses, there was a sense of unease with this unasked-for gift. Ruìsāng weighed what insights he might share, eventually opting for a revelation that could shed light on the specifics of his own experience, and why this didn’t surprise him.

A bit after that night, Vince reached out to me,” Ruìsāng began, his tone shifting to something more serious. “He too faced a near-death experience, almost drowning in the forest, emerging with his own affinity.” He paused, considering his next words carefully. “It seems you both might be going through the same. Understanding each other might help both of you more than you realise.” There was a hint of hope in his voice, a subtle encouragement for Míngzé and Vince to bridge their distances. In the back of his mind, Ruìsāng entertained the thought that, should Vince hate him soon, Míngzé could offer Vince companionship.

Finally, Ruìsāng shared a piece of his own story, a confession he hadn't voiced to anyone, not even Vince. “Getting my affinity was the key to breaking the curse,” he revealed, a trace of vulnerability in his admission.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

HYPOCRITE

“You might want to start wearing a warning sign,” Míngzé said light-heartedly. The conversation they were having now starkly contrasted with their previous exchange. Before it had been all fun and games, but that seemed to be a decade ago. Míngzé did not know exactly what made it easier to talk that night. His trust in Sāng had certainly something to do with it, but perhaps he was just tired of keeping it all to himself.

Míngzé blinked in surprise before narrowing his eyes at the revelation that Vince had gone through something similar. He understood what Sāng was trying to do. People always said that it helped to talk about traumatic events, especially with someone who went through something similar. “I don’t know if that makes it better or worse,” Míngzé said honestly. “If he went through something similar, he should know how difficult it is to talk about.” It took him months to finally speak up about all of this on his own accord. There was a lump in his throat he had to swallow before he could continue. “He called me an empty husk without knowing anything about me.” There might be a world where the both of them could see eye to eye, but for that they had a long way to go.

Then for a second time surprise washed over him, only now it was also filled with concern. How could he not be concerned, knowing how things had been when he got his awakening? Just moments ago, he had hoped that Sāng would never have to experience anything like this. Yet now, Sāng revealed his own affinity to him. “Fuck,” Míngzé muttered as he was lost for words for a moment. Almost defeated, he leaned back against the wall. “You want to talk about it?” he asked.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Míngzé's revelation caught Ruìsāng off guard, his brow arching in genuine surprise at the unexpected remark about Vince. It was a scene that seemed out of character for both Vince and Míngzé, leaving Ruìsāng curious about what had gone down between the two. However, he knew better than to pry into their private affairs; some things were best left unsaid.

And you’re not,” Ruìsāng replied calmly, his tone carrying a hint of conviction. It was a simple statement, acknowledging the disparity between what had been said and reality. “But you told me death was all over me when that was the last thing I needed to hear. We live and we learn,” he continued. Or, maybe he just knew Vince too well — this comment made no sense coming from him, so Ruìsāng didn’t see it as anything other than a misunderstanding.

When Míngzé asked if he wanted to talk about it, Ruìsāng opened the bottle of tequila and took a sip. He tapped the bottle against the other’s arm to ask whether he’d want a sip as well. The burn of the alcohol provided a welcome distraction, a momentary respite from the weight of their conversation.

How far would you go to protect someone you love?

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

HYPOCRITE

It was strange to hear Sāng talking about Vince. If Míngzé did not know any better he would think they were both talking about a different person. Perhaps it had been bad luck. Maybe they met at the wrong place at the wrong time.

“You’re making sense, I guess” Míngzé said with a deep sigh. It was true he had said things Sāng did not want to hear, it was only normal as no one was perfect. “The only difference being that we knew each other and I was scared of what that feeling meant.” With Vince it had come seemingly out of nowhere and had felt like the other was judging him. And for what? Because he had trouble talking about something difficult, even to his pokémon who he’d known for a long time.

“But I don’t know, maybe he’s right in a way. Ever since that day I’ve felt like a part of me is missing, which sounds— ridiculous.” You can’t just lose a part of yourself after all, unless it's a limb. But now that he knew the other also had an affinity, perhaps it was the same as with Sāng. Maybe Vince could also sense something.

Without even second guessing it, he accepted the bottle. The taste was still as bad as he could remember, although it was different from the one he had before. A cough escaped, but it was more like he was clearing his throat. Looked like he was getting more used to the taste of alcohol.

As Sāng posed his question, Míngzé held the bottle towards him. He did not immediately answer the question however and hummed softly. It was a difficult one, especially now. “Everything in my power,” he decided.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Sponsored content