Guidebook
Memberlist
Accountswitch

the city's gone cold

2 posters
Ruìsāng Sū
IC Posts : 981

Ruìsāng SūBlessed by ????
Ruìsāng harboured no ill feelings towards Míngzé for his remark. He understood all too well how easily words could misfire, particularly on topics as misunderstood as affinities and curses. But it did seem to help Míngzé understand. Ruìsāng's expression softened, reflecting a mix of empathy and concern.

He cares deeply, you know. Vince is someone who puts others before himself, often to his own detriment. His words, however misplaced, stem from a place of concern,” Ruìsāng offered, hoping to bridge the gap between intent and interpretation. “We all shed pieces of ourselves through life. It's part of how we grow. You'll find your way forward,” he added, his voice carrying a hint of optimism tinged with a shadow of doubt. After all, he knew too well that some losses were irrevocable. Some people were simply too far gone. But not Míngzé.

As the conversation shifted to the lengths one would go to protect a loved one, Míngzé's commitment prompted a slow, thoughtful nod. “Everything,” he repeated. “But what if that leads you to lose yourself? Or worse, what if their love turns to resentment because of the choices you made?” he wondered, each one echoing his own fears and regrets.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Nickname: Sāng
Birthday: 14 / 12
Occupation: Bartender & 4th year bachelor (hospitality management)
Sexuality: Gay
Míngzé Xǔ
IC Posts : 1175
Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

HYPOCRITE
of DARKNESS SHOWS ITS FACE, LIKE A NIGHTMARE, AGAIN, THIS REPETITIVE PATTERN

Míngzé was not about to run straight for Vince to tell him he understood now. He would probably not even actively seek him out, but perhaps if faith brought them together again, he would give him another chance. Which was only thanks to Sāng. “I’ve noticed,” he said, followed by a soft sigh. However, there was a hint of a smile on his lips. It was true. While Vince did not exactly show concern towards him, he’d been very concerned about Qiān’s wellbeing.

“Thank you, I agree and appreciate it, I really do,” Míngzé started honestly. Everyone changes and change is unavoidable and definitely not always bad. He placed a hand on his chest, fingers curling into the fabric of his shirt. “But this is different. I think a part of me is literally gone, like it died in order for me to be able to sit here now, with you. It’s strange.” He had never given it much thought out of fear for delving into those memories. But he could feel it, that small piece of emptiness that had not been there before.

There was only so much Míngzé could do if anyone he cared for needed help, but what he said was no lie. If there was something— anything he could do he would. At least he liked to believe he would. The continuation of Sāng’s questions cast a worried look over his face. “I don’t— know,” he said thoughtfully. Those were some difficult and heavy questions. “I guess if there is no other option left, then maybe, yeah, I probably would.” In the end he had no idea how far he would go, he had never stood in front of such a situation.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Nickname: Ming, Zé
Birthday: 13/2
Sexuality: Bisexual
Ruìsāng Sū

Míngzé's gradual shift in perspective, moving from annoyance to understanding regarding Vince, sparked a gentle smile from Ruìsāng. He hoped for reconciliation, for a bond to form between them. Vince, especially, could benefit from someone like Míngzé in the times ahead.

Hearing Míngzé articulate the loss he felt—a part of himself sacrificed for survival—Ruìsāng offered a knowing nod. "I understand," he affirmed. He then revealed his own acceptance of an affinity as a means to break free from his curse, seeking to explain his understanding.

"I've faced the monster… The grandma— three times," he confessed, his words heavy with the weight of those memories. “I told you before that she could control my heart through the curse, but—” He let out a soft sigh. “It was worse than that. I was like a puppet on strings. I couldn’t even fight back,” he continued, a bitter laugh sounding at the recollection.

The monster didn’t want to take my life, for she deemed it of little worth to me. Instead, she delved into my mind, targeting those I held dear—Vince, Alastor," he disclosed, forgetting that Míngzé wouldn’t recognize the latter’s name.

She threatened their lives. But then, a voice emerged, challenging me to resist, to pledge my allegiance for the power to thwart her plans,” Ruìsāng recounted, a note of resignation in his tone. “I accepted, and got the power that was promised. I fear I may have literally sold my soul to the devil.

He sighed, a sound filled with weariness and a trace of resolve. “So remember, even if you feel a part of you has been lost, there's room to reclaim what's yours— as long as you hold it tight. That's all that matters.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

HYPOCRITE

All he knew about Sāng’s encounter with the grandma was that she had given him a curse, one with which she could control his heart. That in and on itself was terrifying. It was something straight out of a nightmare, but as it turns out, it was so much worse. He did not expect Sāng to open up about this and when he did, Míngzé turned his head to look at him, to show that he was really listening.

He could feel all color drain from his face as the story unfolded. Being a puppet to someone else— at least to this extent— he could not imagine the terror that it brought forth. Turns out she was also able to see Sāng’s thoughts. Now it made more sense why Sāng was asking those questions earlier.

Without even thinking about it, he took a sip from the tequila as Sāng finished his story. Slowly he shook his head as he looked over the city. “This is madness,” he muttered. This was where he should be telling Sāng it would all be alright, that it might not be that bad, but those words were lost to him. Perhaps because he knew they would be false.

“The way I see it, you did what you had to do,” he continued, more to let Sāng know that he’d been listening to his story. A deal with the devil in exchange for the safety of those he cares for. Who wouldn’t do that, knowing what else might happen if they didn’t? It was not fair, as they gave Sāng no other choice. “What a world we live in, and then there are people who praise these affinities,” Míngzé said, clearly repulsed by the mere idea. All he’d lost was a small piece of himself, but Sāng was in much deeper trouble.

“It always comes with a price,” he recalled his words from earlier with a huff. Those words had never been more truthful. “There must be a way to undo all of this,” he thought out loud. With an angry glare he gazed at the city before them. He had once lost someone dear to him due to these affinities, and he was determined not to lose anyone else.

“A deal with the devil,” he once more muttered to himself, trying to phantom what it all entailed. So far it sounded like Sāng was absolutely fucked.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Míngzé’s words seemed to push the blame of it towards the nature of affinities. Ruìsāng, looking out over the city’s sprawling lights below, drew his knees up and wrapped his arms around them, creating a small fortress of solitude as he listened. The acknowledgment from Míngzé allowed him to gather his thoughts, preparing to share a piece of his own tangled feelings.

The affinity itself isn’t what troubles me. In fact, it feels... right,” Ruìsāng admitted. It had given clarity to the shadows he’d wrestled with internally, transforming them from adversaries into sources of strength and refuge. This unexpected harmony with the darkness was a solace he hadn’t anticipated.

However, his concerns lay elsewhere, heavier thoughts pressing on his mind. “What gnaws at me is something else,” he sighed, the weight of his revelation palpable in the air. “It might sound like I’m going mad, but…” He trailed off, shaking his head as if to dispel the absurdity of his own fears.

When I was on my knees, that voice reached out to me, it claimed it could use someone of my... talents,” he shared, his voice a whisper of uncertainty and awe. “I sought confirmation in Shadowfell, and it...”

He paused. It felt like coming home. Like Yveltal welcomed me.

I fear it’ll turn me into a monster. And the terrifying part is… I might have to let it,” Ruìsāng confessed, his voice tinged with resignation and a haunting question lingering in the silence that followed: How far would he go to protect those he loved?

Too far.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

HYPOCRITE

From a conversation they’ve had in the past, Míngzé already knew that Sāng did not share his opinion about affinities. It did not come as a surprise when he confessed that was not what bothered him. Yet, the affinity was a direct result of this all, so he could not shake the hateful feeling towards those things. But the fact that they felt right to the other—all Míngzé did was hum in response.

Another part of the story got revealed and as Sāng got to the end, Míngzé immediately shook his head. “No, that won’t happen.” The alcohol in his system certainly did not help him. He turned around until he was facing Sāng directly. Míngzé reached out to place a hand on the other’s shoulder. “A few months ago, you said you were dangerous, but I insisted that you weren't. You still haven’t proven me otherwise, if anything, I've only confirmed that you are not..” While he talked he was really trying his best to look at Sāng.

“It's the same now, you won’t turn into a monster. It’s not who you are, I know it’s not, no matter what you say to convince me.” He gave the other's shoulder a reassuring squeeze. Although he may be blind, he was not blind to all the good Sāng had done. He was still convinced the other was a good person, no matter what deal he might have made.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Míngzé's certainty about Ruìsāng not descending into monstrosity was oddly firm, and he made it a point to express this belief. Ruìsāng, harbouring a deeper, more nuanced understanding of his own nature, couldn't fully embrace this confidence. Nevertheless, he lent Míngzé his ear. Míngzé's reassurances, steadfast and unwavering, posited that nothing Ruìsāng could say would shake his conviction.

With a sigh, Ruìsāng leaned back against the wall, gazing upwards into the vastness of the night sky. THe took the bottle, and the warmth of the alcohol as it coursed through him served as a fleeting anchor.

Lù yáo zhī mǎ lì, rì jiǔ jiàn rén xīn,” he voiced a proverb, the words a soft murmur. “I…” he began, a confession teetering on the edge of revelation. Yet, the moment passed, the admission unmade as he retreated into silence, shaking his head dismissively.  “It doesn’t matter,” he concluded.

* 路遥知马力,日久见人心,
Distance tests a horse’s strength; but only time reveals a person’s true character.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

HYPOCRITE

Sāng had helped him on more than one occasion, even when he did not have to. For Míngzé, that only confirmed his opinion about the other person was true. People could say many things, but in the end actions spoke louder than words. The other had called himself dangerous, yet had never done anything that would prove that fact. All he had done was prove to be anything but dangerous.

Yet, with that logic, Míngzé’s words were also meaningless at this moment until it was proven by actions. He let go of Sāng again and sat back against the wall. The cold radiating from the bricks helped him keep his mind somewhat clear.

The other started speaking in his common tongue, causing Míngzé’s brow to furrow. While he spoke the language, it was difficult for him. Softly he hummed while he gave it a good thought. Meanwhile, it had seemed like Sāng had wanted to tell him something else, only to decide against it.

“You’re right,” he decided with a nod. Only time reveals a person’s true character. “Remember when we first met? I hated your guts, thought you were an absolute asshole.” The only reason Míngzé had not packed his stuff back then and left, was because he was not able to do so. Then he was forced to join Sāng after class. “Look where we are now.” Míngzé gestured around himself. Who would have imagined them sitting on a rooftop, pouring out their troubles, if you knew how they started. An honest smile broke through. He was glad Sāng had pushed him that one time. Time had indeed shown him Sāng’s true character.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

The mention that Míngzé had hated his guts only served to amuse Ruìsāng, a chuckle escaping his lips as he recalled their first encounter. With a shit-eating grin, he couldn't resist teasing the other. “You had this adorable scowl that just screamed ‘challenge me’, and I couldn't resist. Ruffling your feathers seemed like it'd be fun,” he said. Míngzé’s initial resistance, that slight rigidity in demeanour, had only added fuel to Ruìsāng's playful fire. “Plus, you were cute.” Which was important.

That was the calm before the storm, wasn’t it?” he mused, his tone taking on a more reflective edge. It felt like decades ago. A momentary exhale, a release of pent-up thoughts, preceded a tighter set to his jaw.

I’m just counting down the days until we can put all this behind us,” Ruìsāng confessed. Soon.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

HYPOCRITE

Míngzé rolled his eyes while there was an amused smile on his lips. Back then he wanted nothing more than to stay out of the other’s way, but Sāng made that nearly impossible. “Glad you had fun.” At this point he no longer cared. Now he knew there was more to him than simply an annoying little brat. “That I’d noticed, forcing me to get something to drink with you after class. You know, I’m happy you did that.” Otherwise they wouldn’t be here right now. He was well aware he was not the easiest person, which was probably why his friend group was small, yet Sāng had kept pushing. “And here I thought you were only trying to get under my skin,” he said with a chuckle. Sāng knew very well what made him a bit uncomfortable, and in the past he had used it against him.

Back then however, his biggest worry had been the person sitting besides him. Everything else had been nothing. Yet now, things have changed so much in so many ways.  “It really was.” If only they could go back in time.

Sāng had told him about the things happening in his life, but somehow it only felt like the tip of the iceberg. There was no saying what else he was carrying with him. Míngzé could only truly speak about himself in this case. “That is, if we can,” he sighed. Because how can he put something behind himself, if it is becoming a fundamental part of him?

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Initially, Míngzé said he was glad Ruìsāng had fun, but he soon continued, expressing gratitude. Ruìsāng gazed down at the city sprawling beneath them. “I haven’t visited that place in quite some time,” he acknowledged, the realisation dawning upon him. He was aware the chief would disapprove, given his tendency to fret over Ruìsāng's well-being for myriad reasons. Yet, in light of recent events, Ruìsāng had been reluctant to add to the chief's concerns. Their last encounter had been at the funeral, an affair that left little room for further interaction.

Míngzé appeared to grapple with the notion of moving past their experiences, a sentiment Ruìsāng met with a derisive scoff. The idea of leaving it all behind was a luxury he knew he couldn't afford. What he yearned for was closure, a resolution that seemed distant. He felt alien within his own skin, restless for the completion of unfinished business, knowing only then could he truly begin to mourn all he’d lost along the way.

We should head back. Thanks. For everything,” Ruìsāng said as he pushed himself up from the roof. He then lightly tapped Míngzé’s shoulder, a silent guide for his companion to know where to reach.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

HYPOCRITE

Sometimes life was too busy and too many things happened. From what he had gathered, Sāng had a challenging past few weeks, maybe even months, and they were far from over.  At this point, he hoped Sāng knew he could always come to him, even if it was only to talk about nonsense. “If you need company, you know where to find me.” The food there had been great and he’d enjoyed himself. Míngzé wouldn’t mind going back.

“You still haven’t shown me the place you work at,” Míngzé said when he suddenly remembered Sāng’s job. The man was also an excellent bartender, if he were to take his word for it. Maybe one day. There was still enough time ahead of them. If only he knew back then.

Míngzé hummed in agreement. It was getting late and although he had nowhere to be tomorrow, he was tired. "No need to thank me, it's what friends are for." After their conversation, he felt like he would finally be able to fall asleep. He got up too and trusted Sāng to get him off the roof safely.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

If Ruìsāng needed company, Míngzé offered his. “Yeah, thank you,” Ruìsāng muttered. It wasn't company he sought for his visit to the Chief— the man had been a constant presence in his life. Rather, it was the apprehension of confronting someone who could so easily see through him.

Míngzé's mention of not yet having seen Ruìsāng's workplace elicited a scoff. "Yeah, maybe sometime," he agreed noncommittally.

The topic of friends seemed to tighten something in Ruìsāng, prompting a sigh to escape him. He ventured into delicate territory, hoping he could trust Míngzé.. “There’s someone I trust who might be able to help with... your affinity,” he cautiously suggested. “Head over to the Silver Kettle and ask for Viktor. Just say I sent you,” he instructed, deliberately leaving details sparse. This way, Viktor would have the discretion to engage within the safety of the Kettle's walls, should he choose to.

Just— It's a bit of a gray area, legally speaking, but Viktor's one of the good ones. Don't do anything rash,” Ruìsāng warned, his tone serious.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

HYPOCRITE

He was looking forward to it. To learn where Sāng actually worked at what it was like over there. Maybe in the near future they could meet up over there, have a few drinks and just discuss something lighthearted. From what he learned that evening, they both needed it.

Before their departure, Sāng spoke up again, about someone who might be able to help. The warm feeling of hope  emerged from his chest. A way out. The chance of letting everything return back to normal. It was the first time in a long while he saw a flicker of hope. “Thanks,” he said with a clear hint of relief. Maybe, just maybe, this was it. The one solution he had been looking for.

Sāng continued, but it did not really matter to Míngzé. It was a way out and that was all that mattered. Quickly he nodded a few times. “I understand.” A smile he tried to suppress tugged at his lips. “Have a goodnight, Sāng.” With this newly acquired information, he was not sure if he would fall asleep soon, but that did not matter anymore.  

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Sponsored content