Guidebook
Memberlist
Accountswitch

Falling to pieces

2 posters
Míngzé Xǔ
IC Posts : 1175
Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

This was impossible. There was no way this was where he lived. After their recent conflict, Míngzé came to the realization that Sāng must be living somewhere in this building. He never meant to go looking for him, but here he was. But it could not be.

The elevator was broken so he’d been forced to take the staircase. It was no problem until he reached the first floor and there it was again. It was no more than a slight light tickle, yet it was enough for a chill to run through him. This feeling was the same as that day.

Before Míngzé was well aware of what he was doing, he stood in front of a door. His knuckles had turned white from holding his cane so tightly. A mixture of complicated emotions ran through him. This, whatever this was, was terrifying. He should be ignoring this, but how much longer would he go on pretending? Especially now that he was standing here in front of a door of an apartment he’d never been to, not knowing who lived there and yet, part of him knew.

He shouldn’t be here. With that thought he pulled himself loose from this and turned around. Right when he was about to walk away, he could hear the door.

Shit.

THE WEAK ARE SCARED OF THE BRAVE, AND THE BRAVE ARE SCARED OF THE FEARLESS

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Nickname: Ming, Zé
Birthday: 13/2
Sexuality: Bisexual
Ruìsāng Sū
IC Posts : 981
Ruìsāng SūBlessed by ????

With the back of his fingers, Ruìsāng tenderly stroked his mother’s cheek as he looked down on her, gently pulling the blanket over her without her even noticing. He found himself caught between blaming her for everything that ever went wrong in her life and wishing to protect the only thing he’d ever had. He loved her— that much could and should never be denied. But sometimes, one was better off without something, despite loving it.

After tidying up the living room a little—which wasn’t without struggle—he decided to, at the very least, get some groceries. It had been at least a day since he’d had anything to eat, and his mother had not been doing well. Even in this state, he noticed that she didn’t care. There was no motherly love coming from the woman who saw her own son deteriorate. She cared more about the empty bottle in her hands than she ever would about him.

Just a few groceries, and then he could lie down again. With that thought, Ruìsāng opened the front door and intended to step out, only to come to a halt when he saw a familiar face in front of his door—someone who shouldn't even know he lived here.

Ruìsāng folded his arms and tilted his head slightly as he looked at the man in front of him. “What? You’re here to tell me I’m a bad boy again?” he scoffed, though he could feel the nerves crawl up his spine. What did Míngzé know?

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Nickname: Sāng
Birthday: 14 / 12
Occupation: Bartender & 4th year bachelor (hospitality management)
Sexuality: Gay
Míngzé Xǔ
Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

The moment the door opened, Míngzé knew he was fucked. There was this small sliver of hope that whoever just left their apartment was someone else. It would raise more questions, yes, but it would also be easier. No one would find it weird if he told them he got lost. An excuse he could only use if it was a stranger.

His heart seemed to have stopped beating. Then the familiar voice reached his ears and his heart started again, beating faster than before to catch up on the missing beats. “I— This is—” Míngzé stammered as his mind raced to come up with some excuse. Where before that cold gut feeling had been no more than a silent whisper, it was stronger now and he hated it. Yet, he tried to push it away and ignore it. An impossible task. “In my defense, I never said you were one.” Maybe it was a good thing the other thought that was what he meant.  

Those texts he’d sent, now this. He knew what this must look like. Like he was some creepy stalker that could not leave him alone. “Would you believe me if I told you I got lost?” Míngzé ended up asking although you could hear the defeat in his voice. He fiddled with the cane in his hands, letting it roll between his fingers. To say he was nervous would be an understatement.

“You never told me you lived here too,” he tried in an attempt to turn the conversation into a more lighthearted one.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Míngzé was nervous, and Ruìsāng scrutinised him, carefully observing the man's body language as he stammered a bit before finally stating that he had never called him a bad boy. “Prefer I ask you why you said there’s something wrong with me?” Ruìsāng retorted, a chill seeping into his voice as he clenched his jaw. He was aware that there was something fundamentally wrong with him, but that didn't mean he wanted to hear it.

When Míngzé asked whether Ruìsāng would believe it if he said he got lost, Ruìsāng raised a brow. The other continued, saying that Ruìsāng had never told him he lived here, which only added to the strangeness of the situation. How had Míngzé found his apartment?

You never asked,” Ruìsāng shrugged, though even he had to admit that was being unfair. “It hadn’t come up yet,” he continued. “And no, though I also don’t think you’ve read the name on the door. Care to tell me how you found my apartment?

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ
Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

Mingze could only imagine how the other was looking at him. It was a good thing the other at least managed to stay calm, unlike last time. Memories of that day were still fresh in his head and he would be careful not to repeat the same mistakes he made then. He took a sharp breath at the question hanging in the air. What could he even say, without coming across like he was some madman. "That is— difficult to explain." Which was true. Even Mingze himself did not know what exactly it was. A feeling, yes, but one filled with so much horrible energy.

He had goosebumps all over his arms. It was that feeling combined with everything else, that made him want to turn around and walk away. At the same time it made him worry even more. Nothing like this could ever be good.

Standing here uninvited in front of Sang's house while he was not even supossed to know where he lived, felt wrong. As if he was doing he was not supposed to do. He was invading the other's privacy. "I did not." Mingze shifted a bit, leaning more backwards, if only slightly. "Care to explain why you behaved the way you did, last time?" he answered the question with one of his own. He did his best to look Sang more or less in the eye. Ever since that night he had thought about it. What made someone act like a wild animal because they got hurt.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Míngzé mentioned that it was challenging to explain, prompting Ruìsāng to narrow his eyes. “It always is,” he replied, his jaw clenched. In his experience, people were quick to talk, but when it came to facing the consequences, they often had little substance to offer. Once again, he would be the one left to deal with the fallout.

Fortunately, Míngzé opted not to fabricate a story. Instead, he seemed to sidestep the issue. While Ruìsāng wasn't entirely certain if it was better, at least it didn't provoke the same level of anger. His arms still folded over his chest, he listened to the question about his behaviour. Why did he act the way he did? Ruìsāng scoffed, waving his bandaged hand into the air, though he winced silently at the movement.

I got into an accident. It hurt. You grabbed onto fresh wounds,” he mechanically explained. “I was in shock. I got angry. I am sorry.” The words left his mouth, seemingly believable if you didn’t care to look further.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ
Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

Míngzé lowered his gaze at Sāng’s words. He feared it was not even possible to explain what he’d meant with those texts. It was the same situation as with Lányù all over again. Explaining meant accepting things he did not want to accept.

Almost like Sāng had practiced his reply in the mirror, he started explaining what happened. Each word deepened the frown on his head. The words for some snarky comment lay on his lips, but Míngzé quickly swallowed them. Who was he to demand the truth? They were basically still strangers. “Fair enough,” he sighed. While he had not the impression Sāng was telling him everything, he had given him some kind of explanation.

“I fear I don’t have a good explanation for your question.” He could also spin some lie, not caring if it was believable or not. But he could not come up with something good on the spot. Míngzé kept quiet for a moment, trying to come up with something, anything. “I just knew. Well, not exactly but— I don’t understand it myself,” he tried to explain, but the words did not come easily. All while he really tried to keep his tone and whole body language calm and steady to hide his unease.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Fair enough.

Míngzé was making absolutely no sense and annoyance grew in Ruìsāng as the man blabbered something about knowing, but then not understanding. In an attempt to diffuse the tension, Ruìsāng sighed, attempting to push away the mounting apprehension. “Listen. I’m sorry if I scared you, alright? I didn’t mean to,” he assured the other. He owed him at least that much. “But you’re making no sense now,” he added, his words deliberate, as he hoped for some clarity from the other man.

Then, a weak voice interrupted their exchange.

A-sāng?

Ruìsāng's eyes widened as he turned to find his mother standing behind him. Dishevelled and aged beyond her years, with her hair falling in tangled disarray around her shoulders. The lingering scent of alcohol was a permanent companion. Ruìsāng attempted to gently urge her back, but her gaze fixed on Míngzé at the doorway. “Is this… a friend? You never bring any… Come in,” she invited Míngzé, a fragile smile playing on her lips.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ
Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

It was like he’d said in those text messages. He was actively losing his mind, surly Sāng saw that too. Or at least that was the easier explanation. There came an apology for what happened and Míngzé quickly shook his head. “You were in distress, I understand” he said. He did not blame Sāng for the way he acted. No real harm was done, so it was fine. A thought crossed his mind. For all he knew, the other had no idea what awful thing lingered around him. If that was the case, and something was going on with Sāng, he had to warn him and explain what he meant.

“Maybe we—”

A weak voice cut him off, immediately silencing him. Someone was standing behind Sāng, her posture way smaller than his. The strong scent of alcohol prickled his nose, telling him she’d been drinking. Shit. His jaw dropped, but no words came out. Míngzé forced an awkward smile on his lips. He tried his best not to think too much of the meaning behind what she’d said. “Thank you,” he started with a tone of uncertainty. “But I wouldn’t want to trouble you.” Why had he not run the moment the door opened?

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

When Míngzé expressed his understanding, the carefully constructed facade that Ruìsāng presented momentarily crumbled. If Míngzé wasn't here to pass judgement on his reaction, to condemn the fundamentally wrong emotions boiling within him and the monstrous anger pulsating in his gut, then... Ruìsāng swallowed hard, averting his gaze as his thumb instinctively sought out one of the four dots on his chest. No. There was no reason anyone should be aware of those.

Ruìsāng's mother, who didn’t speak the common tongue well or often, unexpectedly addressed Míngzé in it. Ruìsāng couldn't fathom why she chose to do so now, conversing with a stranger on their doorstep. He inhaled deeply, uneasy with the situation. It seemed Míngzé regretted coming here, and in that, Ruìsāng found agreement.

Mā, Míng-gē surely doesn’t have time to—

No! You no… are trouble. Come in,” his mother insisted, gesturing for Míngzé to enter. Ruìsāng released a sigh, disliking the unsettling feeling that accompanied his mother's uncharacteristic sweetness. This was not the woman he knew—or, at least, not the woman he'd known for as long as he could remember.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ
Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

From the little pieces of information he could gather, he came to the conclusion that Sāng did not want this either. Which was totally understandable. He would also not want his mom to invite someone who appeared at their doorstep out of the blue. With pleading eyes he looked at Sāng, but even though he tried to help, it was no use. It was difficult to understand, but his mom seemed to have made up her mind.

An awkward smile was on his lips. She told him he was no trouble, but Míngzé highly doubted it. Was he not causing trouble right this instant? But she sounded kind and happy that he was here. “Sāng is right, I don’t have much time,” he tried to join Sāng in his excuse. He almost felt bad for lying to her, because before coming here he was on his way home, preparing dinner and turning on the tv.

“Maybe some other time?” he offered, looking between the two. Then the three of them could all forget about it and pretend this too did not happen. Mingze already took a step back.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Míngzé mentioned his limited time and suggested that he might join them another day. Ruìsāng's red eyes darted between Míngzé and his mother, realising how off her offer was. The only reason Ruìsāng was heading out, despite the pain that surged through him at the thought of carrying anything, was their lack of food at home. He clenched his jaw.

Mā, gāi mǎi càile. Míng-gē hé wǒ yào qù chāoshì.” he said to her in a hushed tone, before offering Míngzé a smile. Ruìsāng knew that Míngzé also understood Fénghuàng, though perhaps not as fluently, quickly, or with the same accent. Nonetheless, he assumed the man would grasp the essence of his words.

Come on, let’s go,” Ruìsāng said, waving to his mother as he seized Míngzé’s hand, leading him away and releasing his grip only when the door behind them closed.

* 妈,该买菜了。明哥和我要去超市。
“Ma, it’s time to buy groceries. "Brother" Ming and I will go to the store.”

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ
Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

Míngzé was relieved when Sāng also went against his mom. He could not phantom that the other wanted him in his apartment right now, meeting his mother of all people. It was rather difficult to fully understand what was being said, especially since it was going too fast. Something about him helping Sāng with groceries. A solid excuse to get out of this situation.

Without warning, Sāng grabbed his hand and Míngzé had to resist the immediate impulse to pull away. Everytime the other touched him, it was all so much worse. Was this also what the other was feeling right now? With worry clouding his face he had no choice but to follow.

The door behind them closed and his hand was let go off again. For a moment he meant to grab Sāng again, wanting to halt him, but with his hand mid air he decided against it. Instead, he stood still, hoping the other would too. “Are we really buying groceries? I don’t mind but with everything that happened,” Míngzé asked the moment he was sure the other’s mom was not listening anymore. According to Sāng, he’d been in some ‘accident’ and was now injured. Judging by the way he reacted that day Míngzé could only assume he was badly hurt. If he needed help, that was the least he could offer him after all the trouble he caused already.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Míngzé inquired about their plans to buy groceries. Ruìsāng heard how the other came to a stop, but chose not to slow down, maintaining a leisurely pace. Rushing was a luxury he couldn't afford at the moment. Each step sent waves of pain through his body, and the looming threat of passing out lingered with every movement.

Well, I am going to buy groceries,” Ruìsāng asserted, still uncertain about his feelings toward Míngzé. He wasn't fond of people delving into his affairs, especially when they remained vague about it.

You’re welcome, not required, to help out,” Ruìsāng finally said. Though, while he was not ready to admit it out loud, the help would be most welcome. The simple act of lifting a bag felt akin to torture in his current state.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ
Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

A sigh sounded when he could hear the other continue walking. While he could stand here and let the other go, he still found himself following. Which was worrisome was the fact that it was easy to catch up. Míngzé himself always kept up a steady pace himself, but often was a bit slower as he was more careful.

“I’ll help,” he declared. Míngzé knew better than anyone else what a little bit of help could do and also how difficult it was to simply ask. If at any point Sāng wanted him gone, it would probably be fairly obvious. Right now, it seemed like he would not mind his presence.

With the whole situation before, their previous conversation got interrupted. There was still so much left unsaid, but Míngzé had no idea how to start again. “She seemed nice,” he said instead, avoiding the other subject. “Although I must say I’m happy we managed to get away.” He could already imagine the weird conversation they would otherwise be having.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Ruìsāng found himself caught between feelings of disappointment and relief when Míngzé offered his help. Perhaps it wasn't a clear-cut emotion; both sentiments seemed to coexist within him. He responded with a short hum to acknowledge Míngzé's words before proceeding towards the stairs.

Do you need help?” he inquired briskly, raising a brow. He didn’t quite understand why míngzé used a cane now, but they both had their secrets.

Regarding his mother, Ruìsāng assured Míngzé, “She isn’t,” signalling his awareness of the harsh reality. He didn't live in a delusion of his mother being a good person. “You’d do well not to come by again,” he advised straightforwardly. It seemed like the most sensible course of action for everyone involved.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ
Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

After he told the other he would help, he waited for a while, expecting him to deny his help. Surprisingly, that never happened. Míngzé was not sure if the other was happy or not, but if he did not say anything right away, he could only assume he was fine with it.

“No, I’m good.” Under normal circumstances, he mighté accepted the help, but not right now. For the past few days he’d thought about releasing Qiān again and every time he decided against it. At this point he did not even know why he did not simply try it.

Míngzé knitted his eyebrows but decided it was better not to ask anymore questions. It was not his business in the slightest. Which was made very clear. “I promise it won’t happen again.” At least, he hoped it would not happen again. Even when he never intended to end up on their doorstep, all of it just happened which was anything but a comforting idea.

They arrived at the staircase and Míngzé grabbed the stair railing. “About before,” he started hesitantly, trying his best to find the right words. “Do you still want to know?” Míngzé did not want to have this conversation, but he felt like it was one they should be having to clear things up. Meanwhile, he carefully but without any trouble made his way down.  

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Míngzé declined the offered help, prompting a nonchalant shrug from Ruìsāng. There was no insistence, no attempt to extend a helping hand as he might have done in different circumstances. The newfound distance allowed for some mental space, providing a slight reprieve from the tension constricting Ruìsāng's chest.

As Míngzé assured him it wouldn't happen again, Ruìsāng sighed in response. “You better,” he muttered, already anticipating the twisted narrative his mother might weave from this encounter. To her, Míngzé standing at their door was likely to be compared to the parade of unsavoury individuals who frequented Ruìsāng's living room, each one seemingly more worthless than the last. She didn’t care.

Reaching the stairs, Ruìsāng allowed Míngzé to take the lead, ensuring he was positioned to intervene if any missteps occurred during the descent. When Míngzé spoke again, a cold sharpness returned to Ruìsāng's voice. “What is it?” he asked, his voice sharper, colder, again.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ
Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

While Míngzé was always forced to trust people, he still found it difficult to really trust them. There had been a small flicker of trust after that day when he’d accidentally texted Sāng. It hadn’t been much, but it was a start. Then it all disappeared. Given the circumstances, Míngzé didn't hold the other accountable for his sudden outburst. However, combined with the unease lingering within him was enough to not trust him at all.

The tone with which Sāng spoke, made him stagger in his steps. Almost he could feel a foot slip off the stairs, but he managed in time to just stand still and hide his near slip. Míngzé closed his eyes for a second and took a deep yet silent breath. He was too on edge for this. “If I didn’t know any better, I’d think you want to push me down the stairs,” he sighed as he finally continued his descent. This is why he wanted to sit down before talking about this.

He was no longer certain it was wise to continue this conversation. “You know what, nevermind,” he said, shaking his head. “Let us first get to the store.” Then maybe after, he could try again. Maybe the fresh air would do Sāng some good. Even he noticed the man was not himself, which was not very hard to notice. The Sāng he knew was so much different.  

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Míngzé’s comment prompted a narrowing of Ruìsāng's eyes. “Luckily you do know better,” he stated tersely, feeling a twinge of annoyance at the assumption. Hadn’t he behaved perfectly well? If anything, he’d extended help to the other before. He let out a curt breath and shook his head, realising that maybe they didn’t get along after all.

When Míngzé dismissed the topic with a casual ‘nevermind’, Ruìsāng's patience reached its breaking point. “Fuck!” he hissed sharply, coming to an abrupt stop and fixing an annoyed and angry stare on the other. “Spit it out, Míngzé,” he hissed, perhaps for the very first time using the other’s actual name.

What’s going on with you? You send me these cryptic messages, show up at my front door, and then dance around the subject. What the fuck is wrong with you?” he continued, his voice getting a little louder. He was done with whatever game it was Míngzé was playing.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Sponsored content