Guidebook
Memberlist
Accountswitch

Falling to pieces

2 posters
Míngzé Xǔ
IC Posts : 1175
Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

All hopes of having a normal, civil conversation left through the drain the moment Sāng started cursing. Míngzé had taken a few more steps down, slower as before but he wanted to get some distance. He did not need to see Sāng’s face, to know just how angry he was. It was totally different form the annoying guy he’d first met. To be fair, he was a totally different person.

With his jaws clenched and staring out in the distance, he listened to the other. His grip on both the staircase railing and his cane tightening. The worst thing was that he could not even blame Sāng for reacting this way.  “What’s wrong with me?” he asked back as he turned around to face Sāng, trying to keep his voice steady.

“I’m not the one walking around with— with—” What was the best way to describe this feeling he had? There must be a word he could use that made it less cryptic. “With death all over me. I felt it last time and I could feel it today, when I was walking up the stairs,” Míngzé said, his voice shaking as he gestured at Sāng. That was it. There was no other word that could describe that empty, cold feeling of absolute nothingness. “You want to know how I ended up here? Well, that’s why. I followed this— this feeling of death right to your doorstep,” he said with a gesture towards Sang's home. While he would not acknowledge it, Sāng was right in asking what was wrong with him. And saying those things out loud, scared him too.

THE WEAK ARE SCARED OF THE BRAVE, AND THE BRAVE ARE SCARED OF THE FEARLESS

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Nickname: Ming, Zé
Birthday: 13/2
Sexuality: Bisexual
Ruìsāng Sū
IC Posts : 981
Ruìsāng SūBlessed by ????

Much of what unfolded caught Ruìsāng off guard, but nothing prepared him for Míngzé's revelation about carrying ‘death’ with him. His heart seemed to pause, eyes widening as he took a step back, holding his breath in disbelief. The world twisted and turned around Ruìsāng, prompting him to cling to the railing for stability, desperate not to succumb to the dizziness.

If Míngzé sensed it, did others as well? Was his fate sealed, destined to either fall victim to some lunatic or imprison himself in isolation until he became one himself?

At this moment, Míngzé had seen too much. While a part of Ruìsāng longed to open up and explain, the formidable walls he had erected made it an insurmountable challenge. So, he resorted to the only tactic he knew: driving the other away.

You say I walk around with death all over me, and yet you seek me out?” he hissed, his voice low and cutting, closing the distance towards Míngzé. Though the other couldn't see him clearly, Ruìsāng's intense gaze bore into him. Nails dug into his own skin as he clenched his fist.

Maybe you should learn to run from danger, Míngzé.

It was better like that.

Go home.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Nickname: Sāng
Birthday: 14 / 12
Occupation: Bartender & 4th year bachelor (hospitality management)
Sexuality: Gay
Míngzé Xǔ
Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

This was not the way to tell someone this, especially not when they were already frail. If they had it his way, he would’ve calmly tried to explain everything, but Sāng just had to push a bit too hard. He really wished he could see the other’s expression to know how he was reacting to all of this, but that was the problem. With every breath he took, his chest was rising high.

When Sāng spoke up, he lifted his chin slightly and never looked away. Maybe if he’d used another word— no, it did not matter anymore. The damage was done and now they were only picking up the pieces. “You asked me what was wrong with me, I guess that’s it,” he answered, but it felt more like he was answering his own questions. There was something wrong with him and while he did not fully understand it, he was beginning to. Piece by piece.

“Or what, you're going to shove me against a wall again?” As the words left his mouth, a lump formed in his throat. Was he scared of the other? Certainly. But that did not mean—

“You are not dangerous.” A part of him did not believe that. That part was convinced Sāng was a danger that should be avoided. But he’d seen the good in him. If Sāng was bad and dangerous, then why had he spent the evening at his place, trying to distract him with some stupid drinking game. No, he refused to believe the other was dangerous.

Even after he was being told to go home, he did not move away from where he was standing.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Death, as Míngzé called it, held Ruìsāng’s heart hostage, its cold claws pressed against his ribs as his heart kept beating in its defiant rhythm. The eerie noise of the cold autumn wind outside seemed to beg for entrance, as if the chill indoors were not cold enough.

Míngzé’s refusal to run ignited a wildfire of anger within Ruìsāng, reminiscent of the fury he had seen in his father’s eyes. It clashed against the icy tendrils of that accursed deathly feeling, burning brighter, fiercer, as he resisted the thought that Míngzé might be right. The undeniable truth was there, death’s grip coiled around his heart, biding its time until it decided to squeeze, to constrict, to kill.

You are not dangerous.

Ruìsāng's right fist clenched involuntarily, the pain from the still-healing wounds protesting the movement. “I…” he began, a primal instinct urging him to prove that he was, to confront whatever held him, to affirm his strength and prove he wasn’t weak—he was dangerous.

However, Ruìsāng had never truly been a monster, despite his self-perception. He wouldn't harm Míngzé, despite the fear that surged within him—fear of himself.

With a frustrated noise, he pivoted, unleashing his pent-up rage on the wall as his fist collided with it. Pain screamed through his hand, drowning out his ability to speak, forcing him to stifle a groan and cling desperately to the railing with his left hand. Tears welled up, the physical agony momentarily overpowering the emotional turmoil. He grimaced, for once thankful that Míngzé wouldn’t be able to witness.

You don’t…” Ruìsāng struggled, his voice strained with pain, a tear tracing its path down his cheek. “You don’t know that.” How could he?

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ
Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

His heart was racing in his chest and every sane part was telling him to listen and go away. It was the smart thing to do for sure. The only reason this was happening in the first place, was because he couldn’t stay away. Seeking out death. It was his fault things got out of hand.

The dimly lit hallways of this building were far from enough for him to see much, but he saw enough to get a vague understanding of what happened. It started with Sāng moving and then there was a loud thump. A jolt shot through him, making him visibly jump.

It was obvious the other was in pain, because who wouldn’t be after hitting a wall. Already he had lifted a hand, wanting to comfort him, but he did not move. Míngzé was torn between backing up or approaching Sāng. In this state, it was hard to determine how the other would react. Instead of doing either one of those, he stayed where he was.

A worried frown deepened on his forehead when Sāng finally found his voice again, one filled with pain. “You still have to do anything to prove me otherwise,” Míngzé stated, his voice calm despite everything. Slowly he took one step up the stairs, not wanting to push it but also wanting to know how Sāng would react.

“Are you—” he started but bit back the next words. Clearly, Sāng was not alright. Not even close. “Are you hurt?” Every time he had to ask the same question, but there was no other way.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Ruìsāng didn’t get it. He expected the other to retreat, to recoil from the perceived danger he supposedly exuded. Yet, Míngzé stood there. When Míngzé acknowledged that Ruìsāng hadn't proven to be dangerous yet, the question echoed in Ruìsāng's mind—why?

As Míngzé drew closer, Ruìsāng shook his head in a futile attempt to ground himself. Why was this man still here, facing death?

Míngzé asked if he was hurt, and Ruìsāng's hand throbbed in response, blood seeping through the fresh bandages. A twisted laugh escaped him, morphing into a sound that sounded more like a sob.

Why aren’t you afraid?” he snapped, a plea hidden beneath the anger. Why linger in the proximity of someone who carried death like a shadow? Shouldn't Míngzé, like everyone else, have fled the moment Ruìsāng revealed how fundamentally wrong he was?

I am,” he confessed, the admission lingering softly in the air. Uncertain whether he responded to Míngzé's question or his own. The fight in Ruìsāng began to wane, and a weariness settled in his bones.

He was so tired.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ
Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

Míngzé was well aware of the risks he was taking, and yet he did it anyway. His breath was caught in his throat, awaiting what Sāng would do. As far as he was aware, Sāng had not moved away from where he stood before. Míngzé was not sure if that was comforting or rather a reason for concern. For now he went with the first.  

When the question came to why he wasn’t afraid, he sighed deeply. “I never said I am not,” he said honestly, although he was not sure what he referred to. There was so much to be afraid of and out of everything Sang did not even come close to his worst fear. “But, I want to believe I was right for trusting you.” A weak smile tugged at one corner of his lips. Even though that trust was now broken, he did not think it was broken beyond repair. Not yet at least.

Things were calming down once more, the tension in the air slowly drifting away. It made breathing a bit easier. Mingze released a staggering breath. Hopefully the worst was now over.

Still unsure if it was fine, Míngzé stayed where he was. It seemed like that one punch against the wall was enough to calm him down. Which was good. That meant he could also take his guard down just a little bit. “Is it bad? Do you need ice or something else?” In situations like these he could never shake off the feeling of being useless.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Ruìsāng had navigated a life strewn with pain, a narrative etched in the calloused hands of his father, the fleeting warmth of foster families, the complicated relationship with his mother, and the relentless cruelty of the outside world. In this unforgiving arena, he had learned the language of survival, a symphony that whispered ‘eat or be eaten’.

Ruìsāng had carefully constructed walls around his heart long ago. He grappled with the unfamiliar territory of vulnerability, unable to discern friend from foe. Alastor, Luci—no one had been granted entry to the depths he guarded so fiercely. Secrets were his armour, his only defence against a world that thrived on causing pain. Peace had only been offered once and he carried death as a reward.

I want to believe I was right for trusting you.

“You aren’t,” remained unsaid.

Ruìsāng's gaze descended to his injured hand, attempting to clench his fist. A hiss escaped his lips as the bandages scraped against the freshly opened wounds. Another muffled blend of a sob and a laugh escaped Ruìsāng. “I'm not sure ice will help, Míng-gē,” he sighed, reverting back to the nickname.

Let's just... I should really...” His voice trailed off, hesitating to complete the thought. He should get some food, do some groceries. But he couldn’t exactly do that with his hand still bleeding.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ
Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

Míngzé still expected something, but was not sure what. Maybe another outburst? Or maybe Sāng would simply turn around and leave without uttering another word. He was not sure which of the two was worse. Thinking about it, probably the latter. Just like last time, he was in no position to follow him if needed.

To think that he was actually worried for someone who made the blood under his skin boil just a few weeks ago. Míngzé was sure Sāng was still capable of doing just that, but not in the state he was in now. It was all because he’d been there that day he needed someone. While he did not expect to find him at his doorstep, he was glad he had come. All he needed that day was someone to be there for him, and maybe that was also what Sāng needed right now.

For a moment Míngzé expected Sāng to snap again, telling him that he was wrong, that he was untrustworthy, yet there came none of that.

The way Sāng laughed, only caused him to worry more. It was a horrible sound. He was told that ice would not help and Míngzé casted his eyes to the ground. “It’s that bad, uh?” Míngzé asked. The fact that Sāng was no longer using his full name, made him almost completely relax again, as if most of the tension was now completely gone.

Only now did he dare walk up the stairs again, until he reached Sāng. “What we should do is treat that hand,” he finished the other’s sentence even if that was not what he wanted. Groceries could wait. Not that there was anything he could do if it was broken. Shit. Hopefully that was not the case. “I have some stuff at my place. If you want,” he started, his voice a bit softer as he did not know if Sāng still wanted him gone or not.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

No one who could actually see him would even ask if it was that bad, because it was, and there was absolutely no denying it whatsoever. The crimson hue seeping through the bandages served evoked a sense of nausea and a haunting recollection of the unnatural black blood that had once stained him. Concealed beneath the fabric, his upper body wasn’t in a better shape, but at least those wounds remained closed.

Yeah... pretty bad,” Ruìsāng conceded with a simplicity that didn’t suit the situation.

Míngzé approached, prompting a worried furrow in Ruìsāng's brow. A struggle between concealment and revelation had him on edge. Perhaps, just this once, he could speak up. Míngzé had already sensed something was wrong— had hit the nail right on its mark. He should speak up. He should—

I bit a grandma and she cursed me.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ
Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

The confirmation came that it was pretty bad. It still did not say much, but it meant it was more than a scratch or some broken skin. It made him swallow before nodding.It was fine. It would be fine. “Let’s see if we can do something about it.” Míngzé was from a doctor, but he had enough first aid equipment that might help. Even if it was only a painkiller. If that was enough.

Míngzé looked at Sāng with knitted eyebrows. To say that he was confused was a huge understatement. There was no sign of laughter in the other’s voice that would indicate he was joking. It was because of his own scrambled mind and this unnatural sensation that had not left him ever since he’d walked up the stairs, that made him doubt for a moment that it was a joke.

Something had clearly happened to Sāng and the other had first told him it was a mere accident. But this— “You bit a grandma?” he asked instead of immediately questioning if it was a joke. If what he told him was true and she’d cursed him, did that mean that was what he felt?

A curse. Míngzé felt a little light headed just thinking about it. If that was true, and things like that could happen to people— that would be bad. This better be some stupid joke to lighten up the mood. Every moment now Sāng would start laughing, telling him he should've seen his face. It must be.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Míngzé said they were going to see whether they could do something about it, and Ruìsāng offered a soft hum in agreement before reluctantly deciding to share a snippet of the truth. It wasn't easy for him to be honest, and he fumbled a bit as he tried to convey the situation. He sensed Míngzé’s confusion, realising that maybe he should have used more words.

There’s more to it, but that’s the gist of it,” Ruìsāng nodded. “It was really weird and I don’t— It was… a lot,” he struggled to articulate the experience, avoiding delving into the unsettling details that haunted his memory. The thought of the sharp claws—

Focus.

But she got mad. And she did— something to me. That’s what you feel,” he finally managed to explain softly. After uttering those words, he turned away, ascending the stairs with a deliberate effort to avoid any expression that might show on Míngzé's face.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ
Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

Míngzé really hoped the other would burst out laughing, even though this was hardly the moment for stupid jokes. It would be better if it was a joke, but Sāng never did laugh. He continued on, talking about how it was a lot. Even hearing only a small part of it, he could understand that it was, indeed, a lot. “Fuck,” was all that Míngzé managed to get out. This made him sick.

What he’d been feeling was whatever that grandma had done to Sāng. “The curse.” No wonder Sāng did not want to talk about this. Would anyone even believe him if he did? The only reason Míngzé believed him was because it was hard to ignore that something was so very wrong. Something that hadn’t been there before.

His own head was spinning with this new found information. Because Míngzé believed what Sāng told him, and if all of that was real then that meant— he shook his head and took the first few steps upstairs. It was best not to talk about this too much when anyone could hear them.

“Do you know what it does? The curse?” Míngzé asked carefully, keeping his voice a little lower. If it was a curse, then it could be broken. Right? So many questions danced around in his head, but he could not throw them all at Sāng at once.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

While explaining the gist of what had transpired, an overwhelming urge to flee, to retreat into the shadows and remain unseen, surged through Ruìsāng’s entire being. He hated continuing the conversation, yearning to stop and convince Míngzé that it was all a joke. But it wasn’t, and they were way past the point of pretending. Once again, he appreciated Míngzé being unable to see the deflated look he sported now.

Ascending the stairs, Ruìsāng deliberately avoided meeting Míngzé's gaze when the latter inquired about his understanding of the curse. He shook his head, momentarily forgetting that Míngzé couldn't see the gesture.  “I don’t. I’ll figure it out,” he lied through his teeth. The situation felt like a ticking time bomb, an ominous countdown to an inevitable fate. If only there were a button to trigger its detonation, Ruìsāng mused, so he could reclaim some semblance of control over his destiny.

It will be fine. I’m sorry.” He had never been a good liar.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ
Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

It was a stupid question and yet he wanted to be certain of the answer. He shook his head softly the moment Sāng said he didn’t. How was it possible that some grandma placed a curse on him? It sounded so otherworldly. So very wrong. If things like this could happen, what more was out there? It was a terrifying thought, one he did not want to think about too much.

“You will and you will break it,” Míngzé said in an attempt to be positive. Maybe it was not as bad as it seemed. It could just be that this curse was nothing to worry about. Wishful thinking surely, with all they already knew.

Climbing the stairs was a bit more difficult now. His mind kept going back to everything that kept him awake and then everything with Sāng. Almost trying to make him realize that part which he kept denying, was true all along.

Sāng’s voice cut through his ray of thoughts. “It’s okay, no need to apologize.” Given everything, he could hardly blame the man for his sudden outburst. Especially since he had done nothing to harm him, meaning Míngzé was right in saying he was not dangerous. Although perhaps, he was a danger to himself at this point.

“We can talk more about this when we are at my place,” he said while grabbing his keys from his pocket. “Only if you want, of course.” Míngzé was the last person to force someone to speak about things they didn’t want to speak about.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Míngzé seemed to have more confidence, insisting that Ruìsāng could break the curse. Ruìsāng scoffed softly. “You weren’t there,” he simply stated. If Míngzé had been, he would understand why Ruìsāng believed he couldn't. Escaping was already unheard of in situations like those. Headbutting a monster and coming out alive? It was only a matter of time until she would take him again.

When he apologised, Ruìsāng wasn't sure for what. For pushing Míngzé against the wall? For lashing out? Or was it for burdening him with the truth? If only he had pushed a little harder, he'd be on his way to get groceries now. It would be better.

When Míngzé suggested talking more about it at his place, Ruìsāng turned around in surprise. “No.” He swallowed. “Just… let me wrap this and then forget about it,” he continued. There was no reason for anything more than that.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ
Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

Whatever had happened to Sāng left some serious scars, not only physically but clearly also mentally. He could understand why. Sometimes being positive was the hardest thing to do when everything around you was so fucked up. But he said nothing.

No talking. That much was clear by the other’s reaction. An almost pained expression came to his lips, but he nodded. “Okay,” was all he said. Who was he to push someone to talk anyways. Last time when it was Sāng standing at his doorstep, he’d also accepted that Míngzé wouldn’t talk.

He continued on in silence until he reached his apartment and opened the door. It was rather chilly inside, caused by all his open windows. The burning smell was still there and during the nights it drove him even more crazy. “You can sit at the table, I’ll grab what I have.” Míngzé hung both his coat and cane next to the door before heading to the bathroom. “If you want something to drink, I have enough in the fridge,” he continued loud enough that Sāng would be able to hear him from the bathroom.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Discussing a situation like what had transpired would solve nothing. It wouldn't make it any less real, get rid of the curse, or heal his tainted skin. He had experienced it, and talking about it would only force him to live through it again.

After climbing the stairs, Ruìsāng let Míngzé walk in front, silently following him with his head lowered. He didn’t speak until the door to Míngzé’s apartment opened, and Ruìsāng scrunched his nose in disgust. Míngzé didn’t seem to notice—or at least didn't respond to—it, so Ruìsāng assumed it was… not new?

Míng-gē? Did you have an accident in the kitchen?” he wondered, walking into the kitchen and filling two glasses with water. With expert finesse, he held both glasses in his left hand before settling on the couch as if he owned it.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ
Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

While he had a small first aid kit in his kitchen, it only contained the most basic stuff. Mostly for when he would accidently cut himself while cooking. The one he kept in his bathroom was much bigger and had about everything you would ever need.

Of course, Sāng would notice the smell hanging inside, clinging to everything. “My sister almost burned the place down,” Míngzé explained. “It was an accident.” With a large white box in his hands he emerged back from his bathroom. His eyes went to his dining table, but there was no Sāng to be found. Confused as to where the other had gone, he turned around and saw him sitting on his couch. “Please, don’t get any blood on my couch,” he sighed deeply before making his way over.

Míngzé sat down next to Sāng and placed the box on his lap. As with everything it was neatly organized so he quickly found some new bandages, antiseptic and a sterile gauze pad. When he had everything he needed, he placed the box down on the ground and turned towards Sāng.

The things Sāng would need were placed between them on the couch. “Do you want me to remove the old bandage?” There was not a lot he could do, but he could hardly imagine that it would be easy for Sāng to do everything with one hand.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Míngzé’s sister almost burned the place down. Ah, that explained—

What?

Ruìsāng blinked, processing the information. As Míngzé continued, cautioning against any blood on the couch, Ruìsāng nonchalantly waved his good hand in dismissal. “I’m used to it, don’t worry,” he assured, his curiosity piqued. However, a lingering question brought a furrow to his brow. “What do you mean she accidentally almost— Why is the smell still here?

The suspicious gaze he cast upon Míngzé lingered as the man settled beside him, placing the necessary items on the couch. When Míngzé offered to remove the old bandage, Ruìsāng shook his head with a dismissive smile. “It’s… not great. I’ll take care of it,” he told him, before gently unwrapping it.

Unwrapping the bandage was a ritual he had grown accustomed to over the past few days. His non-dominant hand moved with deliberate precision, unveiling the tapestry of angry wounds and bruised skin beneath. The flaring pain elicited a wince, but Ruìsāng gritted his teeth, biting through the discomfort.

The cleansing phase was the most challenging. Antiseptic wipes in hand, he meticulously swept over the wounds, moving from knuckles to lower arm. Each wipe brought a sharp sting, making Ruìsāng clench his jaw. “Tell me something fun, Míng-gē,” he requested. A distraction, if only for a moment.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Sponsored content