Guidebook
Memberlist
Accountswitch

Lost and found

2 posters
Míngzé Xǔ
IC Posts : 1175

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

Míngzé chuckled softly. “One of the rudest.” And that was counting all sorts of awakenings. Even so, it definitely was not one of the worst ones so that must count for something too.

This whole thing was become a fucking mess. How did people call this again? Right, Murphy’s Law. Everything that can go wrong will go wrong and this was a beautiful example. Too beautiful. Tiredness had settled into his bones and he was really looking forward to spending the rest of the day on the couch with a warm blanket and the tv turned on. But first he had to make it home safely.

Perhaps he should call Lányù, she would probably come and pick him up if he asked her. It was a possibility but at the same time he did not want to depend on others too much. Míngzé decided those were problems for later. He tucked his phone away again. The offer came to grab a coffee as a thanks for helping him out earlier. “Are you sure?” he asked with a frown. “You really don’t have to, it’s not like you owe me.” Míngzé could understand if the other simply wanted to go home too. Although he sounded genuine.

The frown only deepened when the other would also call a cap for him. “That is—” Míngzé started only to swallow his words and clench his jaw. It really was not necessary. All he'd done was the right thing. He sighed deeply before nodding. “Alright, let's grab a coffee.” It was probably better than locking himself up inside again for the remainder of the day. “I’ll remember that in case I’m ever in desperate need of cash.” Seemed like this man was full of useful information.

“Do you know a place?” Seeing as Míngzé did not even know where they were, he had no idea where they could get a coffee.

THE WEAK ARE SCARED OF THE BRAVE, AND THE BRAVE ARE SCARED OF THE FEARLESS

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Nickname: Ming, Zé
Birthday: 13/2
Sexuality: Bisexual
Kieran Merlotte
IC Posts : 171

Kieran Merlotte
Kieran’s smile grew more genuine as he sensed the absence of any resentment from the man. His offer to buy a drink came from a place of gratitude and a desire for a bit of human connection in this new city, rather than a mere obligation. The man’s surprise at the offer of a cab ride, despite Kieran's implicit assurance about his financial stability, made him chuckle.

I don’t owe you, but I’m new to the city and I’m cold, so I’d like a drink with a friendly stranger,” Kieran chuckled. “Unless you’d rather go home, in which case I’ll get you a cab without the coffee,” he added. Despite the odd way they had met, Kieran did consider the other pleasant company. At least so far.

No, but I’ve been using the maps app since coming here.” Opening the app, he searched for a nearby coffee place. The abundance of options momentarily overwhelmed him, but he quickly chose one that seemed conveniently close. “There’s one closeby,” he smiled. Ah, he could already taste it.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Nickname: Kier
Birthday: Sept 2
Sexuality: Gay
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

It was not because he helped someone, that he expected something in return. Not when it is simply the right thing to do. Grabbing a coffee sounded like a good idea, but he simply did not want the other to feel like he had to do this. With knitted brows he listened as he spoke. “Let’s get that coffee then, my home is not going anywhere.” Besides, he had no reason to immediately go home anyway. This might actually do him good.

Míngzé waited patiently as the other was trying to find a place they could go to. “Since coming here?” he asked. Sometimes he forgot that not everyone simply came from Sanctum City. It did not take him long before he found a place they could go to. “Sure, sounds good,” he said with a nod before waiting for the other to start walking so that he could follow.

“I’m Míngzé, in case you were curious on whose lap you fell,” he introduced himself. Last time he went to drink something with someone he barely knew, it had taken an absurd amount of time before they knew each other's name. The situation had been completely different as he did not have a choice back then.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Kieran Merlotte

Kieran Merlotte
Kieran’s smile widened when the stranger accepted his invitation for coffee. This diversion provided a welcome reprieve from dwelling on the bus incident, allowing him to focus on something more pleasant and grounding. The idea of a warm drink and a bit of conversation was comforting, especially as he felt the need to sit down and give his aching back a rest.

I moved here to find my way around before starting university next year,” he explained when the other asked, aware that his age might be misjudged due to his delayed entry into university. The accident had set back his educational timeline, but he was determined to move forward. “My hometown is… Less buildings, more farmland,” he added.

Upon hearing the other man's introduction, Kieran raised his brows. “Míngzé? That’s an interesting name,” he commented. “I’m Kieran, if you’re curious who fell into your lap,” he added with a hint of humour, finally introducing himself.

As they approached a corner, Kieran spoke up. “Ah— It should be around this corner,” he indicated, subtly trying to provide guidance without overstepping. He didn’t know how much the other could see, but didn’t want to ask in case it was considered rude.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

Like so many people, the other came here for the university. Although he would only be starting next year. “With some luck you won’t see me there next year,” he told the other, although his wording was maybe a bit off. Although he was not lying when he spoke about luck, because at this point he needed a miracle. Right now he was so far behind that he did not know how this could end well. It was not like he could ask for more time because he was haunted by nightmares.

The other was from some place that sounded a lot quieter. “You get used to all the hustle and bustle.” At least that is what everyone always said, he basically grew up here. “That's what people say at least.”

“My parents are from the Fènghuáng region,” Míngzé explained shortly. The other also gave him his name. “Next time you should perhaps start with that first, before throwing yourself onto someone,” Míngzé said calmly, trying to remain serious but there was a smile trying to break through on his lips. It had been an effective move.  

Míngzé followed Kieran closely as they walked towards their destination. It was like he had been told, it was very nearby which was good. Walking around a place he did not know was even more tiresome. “If it is possible, find a table near a window.” That would make things at least a little bit easier. He followed Kieran closely towards the entrance.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Kieran Merlotte

Kieran Merlotte

With some luck, Kieran wouldn’t see the other at the university the next year. Kieran chuckled. “Ah. In your last year? A shame,” he said with a smile. “What do you study? I’m thinking of getting into creative writing,” he continued. The flexibility of a career in writing appealed to him, given his physical limitations and his natural creative flair. Dreaming of one day publishing a book, he saw it as a realistic and fulfilling goal.

When Míngzé mentioned that people often get used to the hustle of the city, Kieran reflected on it. “I wonder. I do miss it, the lack of… hurry that we have at home,” he mused. “Especially since I’m— you know. Not that fast.” He acknowledged his slower pace with some amusement.

Míngzé’s mention of his parents being from Fènghuáng sparked Kieran's interest. “Ah, have you ever been? I heard it’s beautiful,” he said, his voice tinged with a yearning for travel that his accident had put on hold. One day, he promised himself. Moving to Sanctum had been a first step.

Kieran laughed softly at the other’s words. “Really? I thought I did well. Fell for you the moment we met,” he quipped. “Straight out of one of the many novels I read as a teen.” All that was missing, was Míngzé asking if he’d fallen straight from heaven.

Upon Míngzé’s request for a table by the window, Kieran was quick to accommodate. He opened the door, gently guiding Míngzé towards a free table near the window with a nudge on the arm. “Here— I’m sorry. I hope that’s okay,” he said softly, concerned about overstepping.

Once they reached the table, he confirmed, “Here,” pausing to allow Míngzé to sit down first, before settling down himself.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

University was one of those things Míngzé did not really want to think too much about. Especially not his own study. So he only hummed and nodded when asked if he was in his last year. At this rate, he would have to do it all over again. “Nothing too interesting, some boring business stuff,” he said, waving the attention away from him as his choice of study was not that interesting. “Creative writing, that is not something you hear every day. Why that?” When he chose his study, he did so with the idea that it would help him find a good job because that way he would make money. With writing you would never be sure if you’d make it.

With this he could relate. “Most people here are very friendly and always prepared to help when needed.” Yet he could understand how everything moved very fast in the big city. “Try to avoid the busier streets during certain parts of the day or on weekends.” Which was what he often did. For a moment he wondered if he should offer his help, but he decided against it. Maybe later.

“Not yet, although I want to visit it at some point.” When everything was a bit quieter. Perhaps during summer vacation to get away from everything happening over here. It would be nice to get away for a while, which was not possible right now.

Míngzé couldn’t help but roll his eyes in amusement. “You even managed to make my heart beat faster than ever before, not many people have that effect on me,” he stated calmly.

When Míngzé felt the soft touch he simply followed it without thinking about it. One of the problems of not seeing the world and having had that problem for many years, was that he forgot other people could see. Just like others forgot he couldn’t. He did not explain it to everyone he met, did not always tell what they should do, because it did not cross his mind. “You mean helping?” he asked with a raised brow. “Of course it is.” Míngzé continued to follow Kieran to a spot near the window. The light over here was enough for him to not sit in complete darkness.

"Thanks," he said when they found a table. Once he sat down he folded his cane and placed it on top of his lap. “Do they have any special coffees here?” Míngzé asked, assuming the menus were already on the table. It would not be the first time he made a fool of himself by doing something like this.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Kieran Merlotte

Kieran Merlotte
Kieran’s brow creased in mild confusion when Míngzé mentioned his business studies, prompting Kieran to ask, “If you don’t like business, why study it?” It was a genuine question, coming from his own background where he had the freedom to pursue his interests without pressure.

He then shared his own thought process about choosing a field of study. “I asked myself what I really wanted to do— and what was realistic. I can’t stand for long, I cannot do any kind of physical labour. Even travelling can be too much. But writing? I’ve always liked writing,” he said with a smile. “Whether it be poetry or fiction, I’d love to be able to write something positive and help people escape the world for a bit, immersing themselves in a story I wrote.” Writing had been his sanctuary, and now he hoped to offer the same solace to others through his words.

Míngzé’s desire to visit Fènghuáng led Kieran to reflect on the significance of culture. “I think it’d be wonderful. Even if you don’t come from there, I bet a lot about your parents will make sense when you visit,” he remarked thoughtfully. “Culture is so interesting. I’ve heard much about theirs.” His fascination with different cultures came from inspiration he’d looked up when writing.

Kieran chuckled at Míngzé’s dramatic description of their meeting. “Now I’ll never be able to top that,” he responded playfully.

As they settled near the window, Kieran studied the menu, humming as he considered the special coffee options. “It seems like they have a winter blend with chocolate, cranberry and cinnamon,” he suggested, then mentioned another interesting choice. “And this latte with black tea, rooibos, sweet spice and vanilla.” The latter seemed particularly appealing to him.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

Why— that was a very good question. There were other studies he’d wanted to do, and yet he chose this one. “Back then I thought it would help me in the future with finding the right job.” A silent sigh rolled over his lips. Seeing as how he was now unemployed, it sounded very stupid. But maybe next year, once he has graduated.

Míngzé was happy that Kieran had so much to tell, all of which sounded more interesting. Both had their own troubles in life it seemed, but both were vastly different. The other was clearly very passionate about his writing. “Now you’ve piqued my interest.” Despite what others might think, he really liked books, although he always went for an audiobook. “Do you already have some finished work?”

A smile came to his lips as Kieran continued on, still as enthusiastic as before. “You have no idea how often I’ve heard about their stories, it's so different from what we are used to here.” During family gatherings that was all they could ever talk about. “One day I’ll go there, see it for myself.” A few years they had planned to go, but then his brother died and— it had not been brought up since.

The other inspected the menu and Míngzé meanwhile took his time to look around. This place was a bit brighter than most places he’s been to. A frown however appeared on his forehead as his gaze fell on someone simply standing there. His gaze shifted back to Kieran when he spoke again. “I eh—” Míngzé looked away again, but what he’d seen before was gone. “The one with chocolate sounds good.” He turned his full attention back towards Kieran. “Do you want something to eat with it?” Perhaps something small, an apple crumble for example.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Kieran Merlotte

Kieran Merlotte
Kieran smiled gently as he listened to Míngzé talk about his career choices. “And now?” he asked, picking up on the hint of regret or reconsideration in Míngzé's words. He believed that life paths weren't fixed and that it was never too late to make changes.

When Míngzé inquired about his writing, Kieran chuckled. “I’ve got some bits and pieces online under pen names, but nothing too serious just yet,” he shared. He was eager to learn and grow as a writer.

Míngzé's thoughts about visiting his parents' hometown prompted a nod of agreement from Kieran. “That sounds like a good plan,” he said, knowing the value of having goals and dreams to aspire to, especially when sometimes it was all you had left.

Upon Míngzé's approval coffee, Kieran considered the food options. “Maybe,” he hummed thoughtfully. “Are you interested? They have a Pumpkin Cheesecake I might want to try out,” he suggested, indicating his own interest in the dessert.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

And now— a sigh rolled over his lips and he shook his head. “I’m not really sure. Exams are coming up and I’m so far behind that catching up is impossible.” Míngzé raised his shoulders, as if it was not that big of a deal. He would figure it out eventually. Hopefully.

Kieran seemed to be doing better with his writing stuff. “It is a start,” Míngzé says with a nod. “Who knows, in a few years, I might be listening to a book you wrote while taking the bus.” Maybe then he would not fall asleep and have a rough awakening because of some stranger.

Míngzé could not remember the last time he ate something that day. Had he even eaten anything at all? With the nerves that had been building up and the knowledge of what he was about to do, he had not been hungry. Now that he sat there, he could definitely use something. “After today I think we deserved it,” he said, talking about more than the simple bus incident. But he knitted his brows as he gave it a second thought. “Or do they have something to eat? Some sort of sandwich?” It bothered him a bit that he had to ask him about everything. “I don’t think I’ve eaten anything today, so it might be time to have breakfast,” he said with a corner of his mouth slightly pulled into a smile.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Kieran Merlotte

Kieran Merlotte
The weight of the man’s dilemma was palpable as he spoke of his impending exams. Kieran observed him with a thoughtful gaze, his eyes slightly narrowed as if to pierce through the veil. After a moment of contemplation, he exhaled slowly, a breath he hadn’t realised he’d been holding captive in his chest.

Is it truly worthwhile to chase after something that you’re not passionate about?” Kieran mused softly, his voice laced with genuine concern. “Perhaps this is a sign, a crossroads beckoning you to a different path.

The conversation shifted, lightening in tone as the man envisioned a future where he might engage with Kieran’s literary creations. Kieran’s chuckle was light. “I eagerly await any critiques you might offer,” he replied, his smile tinged with a hopeful glint. The idea of such a future, where his writing reached and touched others, filled him with a quiet enthusiasm.

At the mention of proper lunch, Kieran’s expression morphed into one of mild surprise. “Oh?” he echoed, his curiosity piqued. He cast his eyes down the menu, scanning the options with a thoughtful hum. “Certainly, though you should start the day with breakfast,” he suggested, his tone playfully chiding. “It’s the cornerstone of the day, after all.” He couldn’t help but pout slightly, emphasising his point.

But, as for the menu…” he trailed off, his voice picking up a note of enthusiasm as he listed the sandwich options. The description of the ciabatta sandwich with grilled chicken, pesto, avocado, aioli, cheese, and roasted tomatoes lingered on his tongue, painting a savoury picture that awakened his own hunger.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

Míngzé frowned softly as he hummed. The other definitely had a point. While his grades had been good, it was not that he really cared that much. And yet, he shook his head with a sigh. < b>“I already quit my job today, it sounds foolish to give up on school too,” Míngzé explained calmly. He had not even thought about the possibility, and he knew no one would hold it against himself if he dropped out now.

It was admirable to hear someone talk about how they were chasing their passion. Becoming a writer was not an easy task, but when he heard Kieran talk about this, he was certain the other would accomplish great things. “Careful, I’m not easily pleased and very critical,” he said with a small smile as he leaned back in his seat. A lie, as long as he enjoyed the story he thought it was a good book.

One eyebrow immediately rose when he received a lecture from the one sitting across from him. “Is that so?” he replied as if this was news to him. “I’ll make sure to remember when I wake up tomorrow.” He was not one for breakfast anyway.

While the other was listing the menu Míngzé listened closely. Everything sounded good and there was a wide variety. “The Chicken Caesar wrap sounds very good,” he remarked. That was probably his choice. Grilled chicken, romaine lettuce, parmesan cheese, and Caesar dressing in a wrap, easy yet delicious. “Ready to order when you are,” Míngzé let Kieran know. He had his eyes on the bar, but it was impossible to discern customers from employees.  

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Kieran Merlotte

Kieran Merlotte
Why not?” Kieran countered with a nonchalant shrug. “You’ve already taken the leap and quit your job. Might as well embrace this chance,” he added. Some might call his outlook naive, but Kieran saw it as clarity born from experience. Having once been forced to relinquish all he knew to start anew, he understood the process of redefining one's life.

Kieran’s smile widened when Míngzé mentioned he was hard to please. “Then I’ll work hard to please you,” he responded with a light-hearted chuckle. The prospect of future criticism on his writing loomed in his mind. He anticipated the difficulty in exposing his work, his heart and soul, to the scrutinising eyes of readers. It was a vulnerable endeavour, yet one he was willing to embrace wholeheartedly.

Their conversation shifted to breakfast, and after Kieran had imparted the importance of a good morning meal, they settled on their orders. Míngzé opted for a Chicken Caesar wrap. Flagging down a server, he quickly placed their orders, repeating their selections with ease. As the waiter departed, Kieran grinned, a hand resting on his stomach. “Listing the menu definitely woke up my appetite,” he remarked.

Turning the conversation to a more uplifting topic, Kieran leaned in slightly, his expression one of genuine interest. “So, you’ve stepped away from your job and you’re at a crossroads with university. Tell me, what does bring you joy? What makes you happy?” he asked out of casual curiosity.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

The other talked about this like it was easy. Minzge sighed deeply and shook his head. “I’ll think about it.” For now he wanted to wait and see how this year would play out. Then, perhaps it would be easier to make a decision.

He hummed in agreement. With everything he had to do that day now behind him, he finally felt how hungry he truly was. Hopefully the people working here were fast, because he almost felt like he was starving. “Go wild I would say,” Míngzé said with a small grin. “You are paying after all.” Although he was still planning on paying for his share.

“Sitting on my couch with a hot cup of coffee watching House all day. You know, the tv show. I have the complete set.” Míngzé had no idea how often he had seen the whole show at this point. When he was home it was almost always on, more to break the silence that would otherwise hang in the air. There were a few episodes he knew by heart. “With your expertise, do you think I should become a surgeon?” Míngzé said seriously, this time managing to keep the smile from his lips. He genuinely seemed to consider the option.   

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Kieran Merlotte

Kieran Merlotte
Míngzé's suggestion for Kieran to indulge himself, given that he was paying the bill, elicited a soft chuckle from Kieran. “Well, there’s no better way to get to know the city than through the stomach, I guess,” he remarked with a light-hearted tone. His mind briefly wandered to the quaint simplicity of his small village, where such places were a rarity. There, dining out was an uncommon affair, considering the close-knit nature of the community. He recalled the charming local shops dotting their streets - each offering unique goods, from fresh produce from nearby farms to the old seamstress who skillfully mended torn garments.

The revelation that Míngzé found joy in watching 'House' with a hot cup of coffee struck a chord with Kieran. He hummed thoughtfully, understanding the appeal. Despite Míngzé's inability to see, the show's dialogues and the character of Dr. House likely provided a good experience, even when limited to audio. It was the personality of the doctor that truly defined the show's charm, after all.

Caught off guard by Míngzé's query, Kieran blinked in surprise. “I ehm— Well—” he began, his brow furrowing as he contemplated a suitable response. “I think you might be better off sticking with business, then,” he admitted.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

“Exactly.” Their short visit for a drink became some sort of small dinner. Which was perfectly fine. There was nothing else he was planning on doing, so why not have something to eat while they were at it. Kieran took care of placing the order, and from there on out they would have to wait.

Míngzé raised an eyebrow when the other started, or more like, tried to talk. It was amusing to see him taking it all seriously. “You think so?” he asked, followed by a thoughtful hum. “You know what, I think that maybe, just maybe, you might be right.” A small smile broke through. The first part of their order, drinks, were placed on the table.

“How did it happen, your back? If you are okay talking about it ofcourse.” While their situation was partly the same, it was different in so many ways. Míngzé couldn’t imagine what it was like to have one event have such a big impact. From being perfectly healthy to having a broken back. With his eyes he at least knew it would only get worse and he had not known it to be anything else.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Kieran Merlotte

Kieran Merlotte
Kieran nodded, a flicker of relief crossing his features at the revelation that the man before him wasn't pursuing a career in surgery. The idea of him operating on someone seemed fraught with potential dangers. However, Kieran's expression soon shifted to one of thoughtful amusement. “I would make a good Doctor House, though,” he mused with a wry smile. “Got the cane ready and everything.” Despite the light-hearted comment, he couldn't help but silently acknowledge that he managed his condition with more grace than the fictional doctor.

The conversation took a more serious turn when Míngzé inquired about Kieran's back injury. Kieran paused, a soft sigh escaping him as he weighed his words, sipping his drink as a brief respite. “My brother and I were on a mountain trip,” he began, his voice tinged with a mix of nostalgia and pain. “Our guide ventured into a restricted area, unaware of the danger. A Pokémon there... it controlled my mind, compelling me to walk off a cliff,” he explained, the memory casting a shadow over his features.

The recollection was clearly difficult for him, but he pressed on. “Recovery was... extensive. It took years to regain the ability.” The understatement was clear to him – the haunting nightmares, the paralysing panic attacks, and the lingering fear were left unmentioned.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

Míngzé could keep the doubtful expression from his face. Kieran a good Doctor House? He had a higher chance of becoming a surgeon if you’d ask him. “You are missing one crucial aspect, though.” Yes, there was the cane, but one needed so much more to be Doctor House. “His sparkling personality, which you are clearly lacking,” Míngzé joked. It was one sarcastic comment after the other with the doctor, which he doubted Kieran had in him.

It was his own curiosity that took the better of him. When people asked him about his eyes, he did not particularly like it, but he understood where they came from. Perhaps it had been better to keep the question to himself. How often would Kieran hear this exact same question? When the other sighed, Míngzé wanted to tell him to let it go, but the other was already talking.

Throughout the story he stayed quiet. There was only a troubled expression as it continued. “Fuck,” he muttered silently at the end. The word ‘horrible’ wouldn’t even do it justice. And here he thought affinities were the true dangers of the world that it was easy to forget the power of pokémon. Come to think of it, his own troubles had started with them too.

“I don’t really know what to say to this all,” Míngzé sighed deeply. And here he thought he had it bad. “Why do people do stuff like this, if they know it puts others at risk too?” The only one to blame in this story was that damn tour guide. “Again, you don’t have to tell me if you don’t want it, but how long ago was it?” From what he knew, recovery had done him well and he was doing good. At least, it looked like that was the case.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Kieran Merlotte

Kieran Merlotte
Kieran responded with a playful sigh to the comment about him lacking a sparkling personality. “I can be quite the convincing Doctor House, you know,” he retorted, a hint of mischief in his tone. Clearing his throat, he slipped into character with a quote, “Everybody lies. The only variable is about what.” His chuckle was soft, in stark contrast to House.

As Kieran shared the details of his accident, Míngzé seemed to grapple with the right words. Kieran's smile took on a gentler curve at Míngzé's reaction. “It's been nearly six years now,” Kieran revealed, his voice tinged with a mix of reflection and resilience. “I spent several months in a coma, and then the better part up to 2021 in hospitals and therapy sessions,” he continued.

He paused for a moment, contemplating the act that had changed his life. “I don't know why they did it. Maybe they'd pulled it off a hundred times before. But it only takes one time for everything to go wrong,” he mused.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Sponsored content