A light in the dark

3 posters
Míngzé Xǔ
IC Posts : 1175

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

HYPOCRITE
of DARKNESS SHOWS ITS FACE, LIKE A NIGHTMARE, AGAIN, THIS REPETITIVE PATTERN

“Find the door.”

For a few days now Míngzé had tried to train Dai, but so far it was not working. It did not help that he had no idea what he was doing. WIth Qiān he had to do nothing, someone else had trained him. Dai, however, sat before him, head cocked to the side in a display of clear confusion, making a confused noise. “The door, find it,” Míngzé spoke slowly as if that would help make Dai understand. Which, in fact, did not help in the slightest.

A deep sigh rolled over his lips and he shook his head. He would try again later. The door opened anyway as someone just left and held it open for him. Míngzé thanked the person and with Dai at his side he entered the bar. There were a lot of soft golden lights everywhere, but not enough to help him navigate the unfamiliar space.

Míngzé pulled out his phone and quickly navigated to Sāng’s messages to let him know he was here by using a few voice commands. If Dai could not find a door, he would definitely not find the bar.

ruìsāng

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Nickname: Ming, Zé
Birthday: 13/2
Sexuality: Bisexual
Ruìsāng Sū
IC Posts : 981

Ruìsāng SūBlessed by ????
Sāng, you have one minute to explain why you are here, before I fire you for your own safety.

Ruìsāng offered an awkward smile to his boss as he perched on the couch, his arms folded neatly in his lap. His return to work, mere days after getting stabbed, wasn’t motivated by a fear of unemployment— he was aware of the affection and respect his boss held for him. Over the years, his reliability was unchallenged, save for the time he took off when his mother died. Now, seeking semblance in routine, he found himself back at work, only to be met with his boss's worry veiled as an ultimatum.

I promise I’m taking it easy,” he attempted to lie, yearning for just a fragment of normalcy amidst the recent events. The prospect of facing the empty quiet of his home weighed heavily on him. His life, contrary to his anticipations, had continued, leaving him adrift in the aftermath. However, his boss, short on patience for such risks, insisted on sending him home, offering paid leave as a consolation.

Interrupted by the buzz of his phone, Ruìsāng was jolted from his thoughts. The sudden reminder of what he’d promised Míngzé sparked a sliver of relief— his boss's concern notwithstanding, he convinced himself that a brief venture out would incur no harm. Thus, he navigated the crowd with renewed purpose, a smile breaking through  as he spotted Míngzé.

Gēgē, finally here,” he greeted with a grin, the prospect of distraction a welcome reprieve. “Come on. Let me take you to the bar, eh?” he invited, extended with a gentle tug at Míngzé’s arm.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Nickname: Sāng
Birthday: 14 / 12
Occupation: Bartender & 4th year bachelor (hospitality management)
Sexuality: Gay
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

HYPOCRITE

With Dai at his feet he waited at the entrance, his cane resting against his armpitch. There came a low growl from the ground and soon after someone asked if he needed help. Míngzé gave the person a small smile before shaking his head and telling him that he was waiting for someone.

Not long after he heard Sāng’s voice amidst the chatter in the bar and he turned around to face him. This time, Dai stayed quiet. “Nán Shén, long time no see, I was starting to miss you” he greeted the other with a serious tone, before a smile managed to break through. Until just a few days ago, that was the name the other person was saved as in his phone, until Míngzé finally decided to change it.

Without any complaint he accepted Sāng’s help towards the bar. “Looks like I was right to tell that boyfriend of yours that you are alright,” Míngzé mused as he found a place to sit down with the other’s help. Dai laid down on the ground at his feet. He could still clearly remember their brief conversation, and all the worries the other had.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Míngzé's greeting, echoing the name Ruìsāng had entered into the other's phone during their initial encounter, drew a chuckle from him.”“I’m glad you finally see me for who I am,” Ruìsāng responded with a nod, his tone devoid of any jest. Deep down, he identified more with a demon than a God.

As he gently guided Míngzé by the arm, signalling their arrival with a tap on the seat, Míngzé commented that he’d been right to tell his boyfriend that he was alright. It elicited an amused scoff from Ruìsāng. Circling the bar, he seamlessly slipping into the role of bartender despite the disapproving look from his boss. Leaning over the bar with ease, he grinned as he started talking.

Alright?” he echoed. “But I wasn’t,” he admitted. “I got stabbed and nearly died.” The confession was delivered with the tone as if he’d announced what he got for today’s groceries.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

HYPOCRITE

Míngzé couldn’t help rolling his eyes in amusement. “You know, I finally made the effort to change your name. I thought it was about time. People were giving me funny looks every time I sent you a text.” Probably not. Most people could not even understand the language, let alone that he could see their faces. By now he’d gotten so used to Sāng’s help, that he simply accepted it and trusted him.

One arm he placed on the bar, leaning forward a bit. The way Vince had explained to him why he was worried sick, had done nothing to convince Míngzé that something was wrong. These days people were so used to the fact that they could contact anyone at any time and that they would react instantly. But phones died, things happened, that was simply how it was.

Míngzé raised an eyebrow when Sāng mentioned that he was in fact not okay. That he had been stabbed and nearly died. It was the way he said it that made him chuckle. “Right,” Míngzé said amused. “Better not tell Vince that, he might actually believe you.” Vince probably thought that was exactly what happened, minus the ‘nearly’.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

When Míngzé revealed that he had finally updated Ruìsāng's contact name, Ruìsāng couldn’t hide his mock disappointment. “I’m surprised you kept it this long,” he admitted. “You’ve been Míng-gēgē in mine for quite some time,” he added with a chuckle. While there was a flirtatious notion in gēgē, it would be weird to call Míngzé by his name now. He was Gēgē, or Míng-gē.

Míngzé’s scepticism drew a scoff from Ruìsāng, though his retort was cut short by a twinge of discomfort. “Yeah, I—” His explanation was abruptly interrupted as a firm hand clamped down on his shoulder, halting him mid-sentence.

Sāng, did I not send you home?” the authoritative tone of their boss loomed over him, heavy with disapproval.

Yikes.

Hǎole hǎole. Just let me serve him one drink, and I’m off,” Ruìsāng negotiated as he gestured towards Míngzé. The boss, clearly unamused, shot a stern look their way before muttering a begrudging concession that Ruìsāng had an hour to make his exit.

See! Quick, tell me what you’d like to drink before he decides to poke a hole in me as well,” Ruìsāng quipped, only half-joking.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

HYPOCRITE

Míngzé raised his shoulders for a moment. “Never bothered changing it, up until now.” It probably was because neither of them sent a lot of text to the other. Those few times, he’d always sighed deeply and then he would tell himself he would ‘change it later’. Only that later never came. Until now. “I can live with that,” he said with a small smile. By now he was also used to Sāng calling him that.

No matter the fact that Sāng had been attacked by some crazy weird grandma, Míngzé had a hard time believing him now. It sounded more like a joke than whatever. Part of it was because he simply wanted it to be a joke. Sāng had been through enough already. However, he knitted his brow when Sāng was about to explain something to him, only to get interrupted by someone.

Míngzé kept his lips in a thin line as the two of them were speaking. “That your boss?” he asked once the man had stepped away. Only now he was looking at Sāng with concern in his eyes. “Just give me whatever,” he said quickly, dismissing the question with a wave as he was not able to think about what he wanted right now. If someone really stabbed Sāng, then why was he working?

Míngzé leaned forward a bit more, keeping his voice low.  “Fuck, Sāng, did you really get stabbed?” He really wanted to believe it was all still a joke, but that became harder by the minute.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Míngzé's inquiry prompted Ruìsāng to confirm with a heavy sigh. “Yes, that’s the boss-man,” he acknowledged. This casual moniker was emblematic of Ruìsāng's tendency to assign titles or nicknames to those in his circle. Originally, he had used the term Lǎobǎn, until the man expressed a preference for a name of his own language. Hence, 'boss-man' came into regular use.

As he prepared a Wicked Wench — a drink renowned for its potency, crowned with a strong shot — Ruìsāng maintained his focus despite Míngzé's interruption and his own pain.

Why would I joke about getting stabbed?” Ruìsāng retorted. “Getting stabbed hurts, and it is not funny,” he added. Míngzé might not fully grasp the extent of the worry that Vince had undoubtedly felt to come knocking on his door.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

HYPOCRITE

His jaw clenched when Sāng confirmed that he indeed got stabbed and that it was not a joke. It would’ve been so much better if it had been one. No wonder his boss was angry about him being there, he must have looked horrible.

A silence fell over Míngzé as he was lost for words. This was not something that was supposed to happen to people he knew. No, he was supposed to hear it from the news, how some stranger got stabbed during some gang fight. Or on an episode of House. Not this. All color had drained from his face by the mere thought. “What— how— are you alright?” Were the what and the how really important? Seeing as Sāng was still walking around, it was fine. It had to be.

Míngzé gazed down at his hands, idly twirling his fingers. “I had no idea—” he muttered quietly. A feeling of guilt made its way to his chest. He’d been so certain when he told Vince, only to hear that— fuck. “When he— Fuck I should’ve listened.” Míngzé shook his head as all the what if’s were popping up in his head.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Ruìsāng did feel a little bad. His intention had been to shed light on the situation for Míngzé, aiming to indirectly explain Vince’s appearance. Vince's visit to Míngzé, fraught with concern and seeking reassurance about Ruìsāng's well-being, only to be told Ruìsāng was ‘alright’, gave Ruìsāng a growing sense of guilt for the fear he had instilled in Vince that day.

Yeah. I don’t think he would’ve sought you out if everything was fine,” Ruìsāng conceded, his voice tinged with a solemn clarity. “But truthfully, there was little either of you could have done. I chose to turn off my phone and do something reckless, yet here we stand, still breathing.” Unlike Vince’s dad.

Here’s your drink. Watch out for the shot on top— oh, and it’s aflame,” he added with a playful grin, eager to divert the conversation to lighter topics. His curiosity piqued, Ruìsāng watched Míngzé, anticipating his reaction to the beverage.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

HYPOCRITE

What if Sāng had in fact died because he told Vince not to worry. That was what was really on his mind. Míngzé still had no idea what had happened and how Sāng got out of it. What mattered was that he was still walking and talking. His boss had also spoken to him, so it was not like his mind —or more that cursed affinity— was playing tricks on him.

“The way he explained it—” Míngzé shook his head as he recalled the whole conversation. “You were only gone a few hours, I thought that your phone had died or something. It’s not that strang, right?” It totally made sense, at least to him. If only he had been more open minded but even then, he could not have known. Míngzé rubbed his eyes, feeling the weight of it all fall on his shoulders. How could he have known?

Lost in thought he did not even notice how Sāng had finished his drink until he said so. Míngzé extended his hand toward it, only to pause abruptly in his motion. “It’s on fire?” he repeated dumbstruck. As if his mind was playing tricks on him, he could almost feel a slight heat radiating off his left arm. “Then how? I can’t drink it when it’s on fire, I’ll burn my mouth.” Yeah, no, Míngzé had no idea how to drink this thing now that he was aware that it was on fire.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

As Míngzé seemingly had a crisis, reflecting on Vince's words and the weighty conclusions drawn from them, Ruìsāng felt somewhat guilty. “What did he say to you?” he wondered. He had many regrets and what-ifs on his mind, despite the past being the past. There was nothing he could do about it now. All he could do was do better.

Observing Míngzé's hesitation with the drink, a flicker of amusement crossed Ruìsāng's faced. “Lean in and blow it out. Surely you’ve blown out candles before. And hurry, before the alcohol burns out,” he instructed with a grin. The warmth of the flame and the faint glow it emitted should provide enough sensory cues for Míngzé to engage with the experience.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

HYPOCRITE

In his head he was already revisiting the whole confersation. Back then it had been easy to come to the conclusion that everything was fine and that Vince was worried. Or did he not want to see the truth? Mingze had no idea. "That you were gone for a few hourse, phone turned off and something about a cold feeling around you," Mingze recalled the conversation they had. " But you know- after our last conversation- I just thought he was talking about- you know." As they were not in private he did not want to say some things for all to hear.

It was actually nice to be able to turn his attention towards the cocktail. There was indeed something burning on top. Taking a deep breath, more to prepare himself for what was to come, he blew at the fire before grabbing the shot and drank it in one go. It burned. Not because of the fire but because it was strong, overwhelmingly strong. This one shot was enough to bring color back to his face as he waited for the feeling to disapear. "Fuck, that´s strong, " Mingze muttered hoarsly. The taste also lingered in his mouth but it was mostly the warmth that spread through him.

"He also mentioned several attacks on his own life, which sounded crazy," Mingze continued their conversation with a cough right in the middle. He went for the cocktail itself, to wash away the taste, but it did not help at all. Washing away alcohol with alcohol, of course that would not work.

[/quote]

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

As Míngzé relayed Vince's words, Ruìsāng felt an icy sensation creep into his chest. The realisation that his efforts to pretend nothing was wrong might have been transparent to those around him was unsettling. The fact that Vince, despite sensing that something was amiss, chose to remain close, struck a chord within Ruìsāng. “I get it,” he whispered, knowing Míngzé couldn’t have known better.

At Míngzé's reaction to the strength of the shot, Ruìsāng allowed a momentary distraction, a brief chuckle escaping him. “It’s good though. Nice rum,” he commented, appreciating the quality of the drink despite its potency. It was the kind of rum that demanded respect, not to be taken lightly but certainly to be savoured.

The conversation took a more serious turn as Míngzā expressed scepticism about the threats to Vince's life, prompting a sharper edge to Ruìsāng's response. “He told you there were attempts on his life and you thought he was crazy?” The question was laced with a mix of incredulity and frustration. Ruìsāng then sighed, letting the tension roll off his shoulders.

I asked you how far you’d go to protect someone you love. It’s exactly because someone was a threat to his life that I got in trouble,” he sighed, the weight of his actions and their repercussions pressing down on him as he leaned against the counter. “But it’s alright now.” The words were spoken more as a mantra than a statement of fact, an attempt to will into existence a stability that felt just out of reach. It wasn’t alright, not really, but in that moment, Ruìsāng clung to the hope that it could be.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

HYPOCRITE

The burning stopped after about half a minute, but the warm feeling that went through his body stayed way longer. Míngzé was not sure if he liked it or not. “Agree to disagree.” He did not have a lot of experience when it came to alcohol and had no idea what he liked. This shot, was not it.

But then he had to mention another thing Vince had told him, which changed the mood for a moment. “How was I supposed to know? I thought he was exaggerating. Why would someone go after some kid, not once, but multiple times?” That was how he saw Vince, as some young kid, late teens and very early twenties. They were known to blow everything out of proportion. How was he supposed to know that some overcaring kid had that many enemies? “He spoke of a span of a few hours, which might as well have been merely two hours. Yes, your phone was off, but it could’ve died. I’ve had mine die at inopportune times, it happens.” Míngzé did not know if he was trying to convince Sāng, or himself at this point.

Another revelation hit him and Míngzé only stared at Sāng for a moment. “I thought you were talking about the deal you made,” he said slowly. Doing everything in your power to save those you care about, or; making a deal with the devil to prevent a monster from hurting those you love. But if that was not what Sāng was talking about back then, then what else? What did he do to protect Vince and did that result in the stabwound. Again a concerned expression clouded his face.

“Sāng, what did you do?”

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

The idea that someone could relentlessly target Vince was a foreign concept to Míngzé. Yet, for Ruìsāng, Vince's sincerity and honesty were beyond question. “Assumptions are dangerous things,” he gently reminded Míngzé, a note of caution in his voice.

Learning that Vince had been worried just a few hours into Ruìsāng's absence, rather than after a full night's rest as he had hoped, Ruìsāng felt a pang of guilt. The revelation that Vince had spent a sleepless night in concern… yeah, he had to make it up to him. “Yeah. He had his reasons,” he acknowledged with a resigned sigh.

Ruìsāng exhaled a weary sigh. “Something terribly stupid and risky,” he confessed, the weight of his choices pressing heavily on him. “But it worked out as well as it could have,” he added, a bitter acknowledgment of the consequences he now lived with. Despite the phantom blood on his hands, Ruìsāng couldn't envision an alternative path. His regret was not in the action itself but in his failure to trust Vince.

Don’t worry about me, alright? It’s… fine. Just put a little more faith in him if he asks for help. If not for him, then because it’ll help me knowing he’d have someone there for him,” Ruìsāng implored Míngzé. Regardless of Míngzé's personal feelings toward Vince, to know that in his absence, Vince would not be left to face his battles alone, would be one less burden on his mind.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

HYPOCRITE

Míngzé was well aware of the mistake he had made and the price Sāng could’ve paid because of them. None of that happened, yet the guilt remained. A deep sigh rolled over his lips as he stared at the drink before him. “Yet we all make them,” he muttered. It was only human to assume things, to come up with answers to questions.

At this point he knew Sāng very well, at least he liked to believe he did, there were enough things that remained a mystery. Because of it Míngzé knew he would not a tale that was Vince’s to tell, he did not expect it. When he did not answer his question, the concerned frown on his face only grew. What had Sāng done that he did not want to tell him? As he was stabbed, Míngzé could only assume he got into a fight with someone. All he did however was nod. “I’m glad it did,” he said genuinely before sipping from the cocktail. Everything about it was so strong.

No matter that he was not able to see the other, he still looked up at him. “I’ll try.” And he would because he did not want anything like this to happen again. Next time Sāng might not be as lucky. “Although—” Míngzé started, sipping from the cocktail yet again. “I think he’s scared of me, so I’m not sure if he’ll ever ask for my help again.” The way Vince had talked to him last time, like he was afraid for some reason. Míngzé could not remember there being someone who was scared of him. Vince was the first and he was not sure what to make of it.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

Ruìsāng's nod at Míngzé's vow to stand by Vince in future troubles wasn't born from concern for his own wellbeing, but rather from a desire to ensure Vince's safety. He saw in Míngzé a potential pillar for Vince to lean on.

However, the notion that Vince harboured fear towards Míngzé struck Ruìsāng as so absurd that it elicited a burst of laughter from him. “Of you?” he echoed, his incredulity painting his voice with amusement. He gave Míngzé a once-over, his gaze briefly appraising before dismissing the idea altogether with a shake of his head. “Āiyā, Míng-gē, I hate to break it to you, but if he ain’t scared of me, he ain’t gonna be scared of you,” he said. The comparison was clear in his mind; Míngzé posed no more a threat than a kitten stripped of its claws and teeth— especially when compared to Ruìsāng.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Míngzé Xǔ

Míngzé XǔBlessed by ????

HYPOCRITE

Well, that was clear. If someone did not think of him as a threat, then it was Sāng. Not that he could blame the other, he fully agreed with him. “No need to tell me that.” He couldn’t envision him being a very threatening person to anyone. What was he going to do? Look at them angrily without any eye contact? Yeah, that was going to help. “I was barely able to hear what he said because he was muttering and talking to the floor,” he explained with a sigh. Why would someone act that way around someone unless they were scared?

Again he took a sip of his cocktail, a bigger one this time. “If someone paid me for every time he said sorry, I might actually be able to keep my apartment.” Míngzé shook his head and rubbed his eyes. He simply did not understand why Vince would act that way unless at some point he’d scared him in some way. As he gave it another thought, he twirled the straw in his drink around.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Ruìsāng Sū

To an outsider listening in, the suggestion that Míngzé might seem more intimidating than Ruìsāng could easily ring true. At a casual glance, Ruìsāng didn't embody the image of menace. His height was unremarkable, and his blonde hair coupled with a boyish smile painted him more as someone cheeky rather than intimidating.

Yet, Ruìsāng was acutely aware of the more subtle, revealing aspects of his appearance and demeanour— the intensity of his glare, the muscles concealed by his attire, and the tell-tale bandages wrapping his hand. Along with his ability to project an air of undeniable threat when necessary, was vastly different from an initial impression. And this didn't even account for the darkness he carried.

As Míngzé explained how Vince had spoken to him, Ruìsāng dramatised his response, collapsing onto the counter with a flourish of despair. “I feel so bad,” he lamented. “And I can’t even make it up to him right now bec—” His self-pity was abruptly cut short by the words landing, snapping Ruìsāng back to a state of alertness. The sudden shift caused him to nearly lose his balance, a sharp reminder of his recent injury.

What do you mean you can’t keep your apartment?” he questioned, the concern in his voice stripping away any previous dramatics.

Character sheet
Icon:
Relationship:
Sponsored content